22" and Air Suspension Faulty

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 06:26 PM
BlueOvalKid
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 22" and Air Suspension Faulty

2004 Cayenne Turbo

Tried to install a set of 22" wheels and get an error "Air Suspension Faulty - Workshop" message. I thought this was due to the settings in the PCM so I went to the menu and it only has choices up to 20"

Is there a way with the durametric to fix this?
Old 03-15-2019, 08:13 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The wheels themselves will not cause an error. Sometimes I'll get an error after jacking the Cayenne up, that usually clears up after a short drive. This still happens even if I put the suspension in service mode before jacking it up.

The warning can also be completely unrelated to the wheels or the process of installing them.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:51 PM
BlueOvalKid
Rennlist Member

Right now the suspension is in the low setting and i can't adjust it. It also appears that I cannot put it into service mode. Basically, it seems stuck at that height.

Does this influence any ideas?
Old 03-15-2019, 10:56 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Did you disable the PASM before you jacked up the car? If not, do a search on RL, others have made the same mistake and there are solutions out there.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:14 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep, had 22in wheels on my O4 S with air and no issues. Now have 22's on my 05 Turbo with no issues.
When I put the 22's on the turob just jacked up each corner and swapped em on with no problems.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:24 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

The larger wheels should be running a lower aspect ratio tire so the rolling circumference is about the same as it was before. Because of this, the car doesn't really need to know the exact size of the wheels you're running - just select the largest option in the menu, which in your case is probably 20s. If you disconnect the battery ground strap at the front of the driver's seat for about 10 minutes, I bet it restores your suspension functionality. To lock the suspension, put the car in Normal height and hold the air suspension height toggle forward for about 5 seconds until you hear a beep and see the "disabled" message appear on the dash.

The suspension will not move when any of the doors are open so if you were trying to troubleshoot it with a door open, you'll keep getting that "not permissible" message on the dash. If you need to move it with the door open, like if you have a laptop plugged into the OBD2 port and don't want to be sitting in the car, either bring it out through the window, or you can manually close the door catch with the door open (just don't forget) and the suspension will move.

When I installed the 22x12s on my widebody, I just selected summer 21 and haven't had any issues. Tires are a 315/30-22, which are within about 1% of the rolling circumference of the original 295/35-21s that were originally on the car on the 21x10 wheels.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:03 AM
BlueOvalKid
Rennlist Member

Circling back on this and it appears it may be fixed.

It never ceases to amaze me how the proper batteries, and battery condition, can solve problems that are seemingly unrelated.

I was suspicious of the batteries anyway and the car is new to me. So, I did some investigating and ended up replacing both batteries with proper Interstate batteries and after a drive it appears the suspension faults have resolved themselves. One of the batteries installed was not the correct size and appeared to be a recycled unit and the other battery was very old.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:53 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Back to the original question:

Did you disable the air suspension before lifting the car off of the ground?
Old 03-20-2019, 10:20 AM
BlueOvalKid
Rennlist Member

No, the suspension was not disabled.

After clearing the codes with the durametric, there is one code that will not clear. It's 1437 "Control position not learned (no or incorrect basic callibration)".

Even though I'm not trying to lower the car do I need to go through the documented process of lowering the car with the durametric? Is there anything else that could cause this?
Old 03-22-2019, 10:26 AM
kadn33
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOvalKid

After clearing the codes with the durametric, there is one code that will not clear. It's 1437 "Control position not learned (no or incorrect basic callibration)".

Even though I'm not trying to lower the car do I need to go through the documented process of lowering the car with the durametric? Is there anything else that could cause this?
You should be able to get rid of the code after calibrating the suspension level control. You can use Durametric or VCDS but I'm not sure if other tools can.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:50 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOvalKid

To answer your question- there are other things that could cause this, but the simplest answer is that you neglected to turn of the PASM and it needs to be recalibrated. We have all made mistakes at one point or another like this, so don't sweat it. An hour or so with a Durametric and hopefully you should be back on the road.

Quick Reply: 22" and Air Suspension Faulty