Sponsored by:

New 957 owner, needs new new brakes any recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 07:49 PM
snoop
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New 957 owner, needs new new brakes any recommendations

I just got a single owner 2010 cayenne base with 30k miles from the dealer. It still has the new car smell... I need to replace the rear brakes and rotors and wonder if there are any recommendations, I did a few searches and didn't end up with conclusion. Its for my wife who is a timid driver, I am a budget minded so and ideas would be helpful. also are sensors needed every time?
Old 02-10-2019, 02:06 AM
NelaK
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

If the warning has come up saying its time to replace the pads, then yes - you need to replace the sensors. The sensors are triggered when the brake pads wear thin enough and the sensors themselves get damaged by the pads. They're about $5/sensor so its not too bad.

For a base Cayenne, I would probably just get whatever is economical and not worry about it too much. I like to order parts like that from Rock Auto. I just checked and the rotor, pads, and sensor kit is about $200 CAD for your car.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:07 PM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

https://www.fcpeuro.com/Porsche-part...010&m=1&e=2528

In previous threads it seems the OEM Pagid pads are the way to go. Rotors are rotors, who cares. Rotors may be okay for reuse anyway.

BUT Replace in sets both F & R. FCP Euro Lifetime Warranty so it is a who cares in the long run!

And Welcome to the forums!
Old 02-10-2019, 12:18 PM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

We were preparing to haul a 6000lb camper through the Rockies and went with a full set of slotted rotors and Yellowstuff pads from EBC. Get the kit part numbers from the website and search for the cheapest price. I always find TH Motorsports has the best price but I ALWAYS have some sort of issue when I order from them.

We towed that trailer 4600 miles that week and the brakes were phenomenal.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:39 PM
Pillow
Racer

Pics or it didn't happen Seriously would love to see some towing action photos!

Normally I am a huge fan of the Yellowstuff pads, but in a similar thread it was pointed out that the Pagid pads have a higher friction coefficient than the Yellowstuff pads. On paper the Pagid pads should perform better and at a lower price point while keeping in OEM parts.

FWIW we tow a 5000lb (dry) Spartan Mansion with our Escalade that has Yellowstuffs and it has been flawless. Only once have we started getting them to smell and that was on a side road in WV that was crazy steep downhill in 1st gear where you were going so slow the engine did not assist in braking. Smokin, but no fade!
Old 02-10-2019, 02:05 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Pillow
https://www.fcpeuro.com/Porsche-part...010&m=1&e=2528

In previous threads it seems the OEM Pagid pads are the way to go. Rotors are rotors, who cares. Rotors may be okay for reuse anyway.

BUT Replace in sets both F & R. FCP Euro Lifetime Warranty so it is a who cares in the long run!

And Welcome to the forums!
Wait. Does their life time warranty seriously apply to consumables too?? They'll really replace brake pads and rotors once they wear out?!
Old 02-10-2019, 03:23 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by NelaK
Wait. Does their life time warranty seriously apply to consumables too?? They'll really replace brake pads and rotors once they wear out?!
Yes, and oil, filters, wiper blades.. anything they sell. They used to have a camera (might still) on their returns department so you could watch what people send back.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:08 PM
Pillow
Racer

https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee

Live feed still there LOL

IDK how they do it! I have bought some goodies from them but never needed the warranty, probably what they bank on. Even the prices are competitive, so you aren't "paying for a hidden warranty".

In the future all brakes, filters, etc will be from FCP.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:01 PM
V124ZA
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im using hawk ceramic pads and Zimmerman rotors on my 09 Cayenne. just put same pads on my panamera, really bad squeal from the rear, stock rotors w 50 kmiles. Removed the pads and rotors Sanded but still loud squeal. bought powerstop ceramic pads last night hopefully the squeal will go away

requested refund for the hawks, I only use them for 50 miles
Old 02-10-2019, 06:49 PM
Pillow
Racer

Originally Posted by V124ZA
im using hawk ceramic pads and Zimmerman rotors on my 09 Cayenne.
Which ones? HPS?
Old 02-10-2019, 07:05 PM
V124ZA
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pillow
Which ones? HPS?
I believe Hawk only makes one model of ceramic pads. They are the ones that come in the yellow box. I think the model number start with h b
Old 02-10-2019, 07:12 PM
snoop
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt understand replace both front and rear at the same time... I was just going to replace the sets in the rear.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:29 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Yes, and oil, filters, wiper blades.. anything they sell. They used to have a camera (might still) on their returns department so you could watch what people send back.
Have you ever returned anything to them?
Looks like I can get all 4 Stabilus hatch struts for $122 with free shipping. ECS comes up $20 less but the cart adds tax and shipping on the "direct shipped" glass struts which brings it up to $132. Good initial price and then free struts every 3 to 4 years sounds too good to be true. I'm just wondering if they find loopholes to deny claims.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:30 PM
Pillow
Racer

https://www.hawkperformance.com/street

Ok I see it as Performance Ceramic.

I didnt understand replace both front and rear at the same time... I was just going to replace the sets in the rear.
Usually F&R are near the same wear levels. With rear disc usually the rears go before the front (IDK why just is). Cry once and do both IMO, kind of like tires just get a full set and performance will be matched. Check that the fluid is clean as well, easy to get fresh while you are at it.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:27 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 735 Posts

I just did rear brakes on my '06 a few weeks ago. I'm not one of those people that assumes everything made in China is crap but when it comes to things that stop the car, I like to go with proven manufacturers.
For my Cayenne rear brakes, I went with Zimmerman 'coated' rotors and Meyle ceramic pads. I also replaced the wear sensors with 'URO' brand which I think are made in China or Taiwan.

Quick Reply: New 957 owner, needs new new brakes any recommendations