Sponsored by:

Reversing camera upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 08:30 AM
Colly
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reversing camera upgrade?

I hate the reversing camera on my 2008 Cayenne it just looks straight down and not behind you. So when I was getting my screen upgraded to a Pioneer unit with Android Auto - I got a camera installed as well. However, they just put a simple small camera under the bumper. The picture is way better and it sees straight behind - but since its so low the view is not wide enough and I can't see the kerbs etc when reversing into my parking space.

Just wondering if it's possible to put this in where the current camer is - has anyone done this?
Old 02-03-2019, 11:34 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

You can replace the original camera in its current position. You will need to pull the long trim piece off that goes from side to side across the back to access it. What you probably want to do is use the stock extension mechanism which does help hiding the camera and keeping it cleaner than a lot of the newer ones. Porsche only sells the extension mechanism & motor along with the camera as one unit for over $1500, you can pull just the camera out and replace it. You will have to be a little creative depending on the camera you use to get it to fit and stay in place. I used a bit of Silicone Sealant and it's worked for 4yrs no problems. The last issue is the OEM camera has a FAKRA connector and most all aftermarket cameras you find have a RCA video connector so you will need and adapter for that. Might be easier now to find the right one but I used a adapter that was sold for Mercedes camera replacement which was a Fakra to RCA female adapter (needed a male end) and then got a RCA male to male adapter from Amazon. You can get your power source there but the issue is a strange one. The power source there for the OEM camera is 6.5v. I bought two Ebay cameras and tested them on my TV in the living room through the RCA plug but powered with just a handy little 9v. battery (assumed they needed 12v.). When I plugged in the one that I thought had the slightly better picture on the Cayenne I found that it didn't work then figured out it was only a 6.5v. power source. The other Cheap Ebay camera I had worked fine with 6.5v. so I used it. Both Ebay cameras were only about $20 and they both had cameras equal to or better than the OEM camera which of course it probably 15yr old tech.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:34 AM
Colly
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks that helps a lot. I was on to the guy who did the install and they said there are a few options but I need to go down and see.

My problem with the old camera is it looked straight down - you could literally only see the number and maybe 2-3 feet of the ground behind. Other suggested it must be off - but I checked and it didn't look broken at all. Is that how they normally are?

Is the picture from your new camera a lot better? Does it give a wide angle of behind the car too whilst still showing the sides of the parking space you are reversing into?
Thanks.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:13 AM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

I got one of the those that replaces the license plate lamp and I'm very happy with the view. I got one of the LED bulbs form Wal-Mart (philips?) for the opposing side and it doesn't match 100% but is fairly close.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:14 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Merk
I got one of the those that replaces the license plate lamp and I'm very happy with the view. I got one of the LED bulbs form Wal-Mart (philips?) for the opposing side and it doesn't match 100% but is fairly close.
Can you send a link to the unit you bought and maybe a UC code for the LED bulb (if you still have it)?

My backup camera is on the fritz and I don't want to invest via the factory / OEM route but would like a reliable back up camera.

Thank you!
Old 02-08-2019, 09:22 AM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

I believe the LED is the SYLVANIA 6418 SYL LED Mini Bulb

Camera Camera

This camera was higher priced than others but it was linked from another post on rennlist and was proven so I decided to stick with it.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The OEM camera flips out when on, and retracts when not in use. I think your camera is just not doing that, so it is just looking straight down. They do get stuck from the dirt and grime, so it just may need to be cleaned.

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...getting-stuck/

Quick Reply: Reversing camera upgrade?