Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brighter Reversing Lights & Canbus?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 10:03 AM
RazMan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brighter Reversing Lights & Canbus?

I would like to fit brighter reversing lights because I often have to back up in a very dark & crowded parking area.
Initially I tried simply fitting 30w halogen bulbs (using an adaptor) but just got the 'check reversing lights' message and no lights.
So I then tried fitting LED replacement bulbs - very bright but got the error message again every time I select reverse

Does anyone have any ideas to overcome this issue? I cant seem to fool the canbus at all
Old 01-30-2019, 03:16 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Hope an electronics guru reads your post because I'd like brighter backup lamps too. I assume you'll need to solder a resistor of appropriate value into each lamp circuit to match the electrical characteristics of the OEM bulb to fool the ECU, which probably sees the alternate as either a burned-out bulb (open) or a short. Too bad the LED makers don't make them electrically mimic common automotive filament bulbs, but then they'd be much more expensive.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:01 PM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RazMan
I would like to fit brighter reversing lights because I often have to back up in a very dark & crowded parking area.
Initially I tried simply fitting 30w halogen bulbs (using an adaptor) but just got the 'check reversing lights' message and no lights.
So I then tried fitting LED replacement bulbs - very bright but got the error message again every time I select reverse

Does anyone have any ideas to overcome this issue? I cant seem to fool the canbus at all
Did you try a "search" for: 12v CANBUS LED bulbs? They seem to be available.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:48 PM
RazMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Harry Apps
Did you try a "search" for: 12v CANBUS LED bulbs? They seem to be available.
The ones I used were allegedly canbus compatible but I don't think a lot of the Chinese manufacturers care much about the quality of the 'compatability' 😁
However I did manage to find some compatible LED indicators - VERY bright and flashy indeed!
Old 01-30-2019, 08:10 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts

i have some here awaiting implantation
not expecting success
other thought was to mount a pod lamp in the receiver
Old 01-31-2019, 12:45 AM
RSbob
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Installed new backup lights “Reverse LEDs Bright OSRAM #87578881” purchased through deAutoKey.com. No errors and much brighter. I bought under Mk6 Jetta

The ones used are 1156 for Jetta Sportwagen. http://deautokey.com/product/reverse...gen-all-models

Pic of reverse lights won’t upload from iPad. WTH
Old 01-31-2019, 06:42 AM
RazMan
Instructor

Thanks for the info Bob - I will order a pair and report back
Old 01-31-2019, 09:21 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,621 Likes on 4,209 Posts

Are these for 955 or 957s or are they the same. To make an led work in a previously incandescent application where the vehicle has a bulb control module monitoring and regulating things, you need to add a resistor so the module sees the same resistance with the led as it did with the filament bulb.

As opposed to the standard gold color resistors that you have to solder in or crimp lock on, I prefer the "black box" versions. They font get as hot externally since the box is an insulator around the resistor and you can usually find them with ends compatible to the type of bulb you're replacing, so they're plug and play without having to do anything to the factory wiring, so totally reversible.

You can find them on amazon by searching for canbus compatible resistor and then the bulb number you need.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:49 AM
RazMan
Instructor

That's fine when you have a bulb with a dedicated holder but on the 957 tail light the bulb holder is part of a panel which has all of the rear lights (indicator/fog/tail/reverse) in a panel which is screwed to the back. As a result you cant extend the wiring and put the resistor in between the original holder and bulb. There is however, a network of zinc plated 'busbars' and you could solder/rivet/screw a connector to these and pop the resistor inside the casing if there is enough room - they might even work as a heatsink too.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:51 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That's fine when you have a bulb with a dedicated holder but on the 957 tail light the bulb holder is part of a panel which has all of the rear lights (indicator/fog/tail/reverse) in a panel which is screwed to the back. As a result you cant extend the wiring and put the resistor in between the original holder and bulb. There is however, a network of zinc plated 'busbars' and you could solder/rivet/screw a connector to these and pop the resistor inside the casing if there is enough room.
Thanks. I have not yet had the need to take my 957 tails apart. If those referenced bulbs are brighter, I think I'll try a pair.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:26 AM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by RSbob
OSRAM #87578881
RSB
Would you please provide us with a photo of bulb and it packaging
Old 02-01-2019, 07:54 AM
RazMan
Instructor

Just had a conversation with Osram technical support and they tell me that there is a new, brighter model which replaces the earlier model. It is now part number 7458VW - just ordered a pair
Old 02-01-2019, 10:25 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Just had a conversation with Osram technical support and they tell me that there is a new, brighter model which replaces the earlier model. It is now part number 7458VW - just ordered a pair
Looks like $26 on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OSRAM-LEDri...frcectupt=true

Same ones, correct?
Old 02-02-2019, 09:44 PM
RSbob
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Are these for 955 or 957s or are they the same. To make an led work in a previously incandescent application where the vehicle has a bulb control module monitoring and regulating things, you need to add a resistor so the module sees the same resistance with the led as it did with the filament bulb.

As opposed to the standard gold color resistors that you have to solder in or crimp lock on, I prefer the "black box" versions. They font get as hot externally since the box is an insulator around the resistor and you can usually find them with ends compatible to the type of bulb you're replacing, so they're plug and play without having to do anything to the factory wiring, so totally reversible.

You can find them on amazon by searching for canbus compatible resistor and then the bulb number you need.
i have them in the 957 so can’t say about 955s but there’s a better than 50% chance they should work.

My Sportwagen originally came with standard incandescent back ups in solid state boards. Osram made backup LEDs compatible with the Jetta Canbus so installed them with no errors or resistors and what a world of difference; however the Jetta backup fixture is not a narrow parallelogram like the Cayenne. Because the Jetta and Cayenne use exactly the same bulb for backups, it was no leap to install the Osrams in the Cayenne, thankfully with no resistor or errors.

Reading that Osram has an even brighter version I will wait to see when someone installs them to see if they are equally compatible and how they like them. If positive, I will upgrade again so please report your results.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:50 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I ordered the new upgraded ones already. Will post some results when I get them installed.

Quick Reply: Brighter Reversing Lights & Canbus?