Sponsored by:

Correct alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 11:28 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
At that point - the market demand vs price will encourage other rebuilders to come up with a more cost effective solution.. so it will be a wash probably.
I sure hope you are right, but the quality aftermarket parts producers have not proven to be so kind to Cayenne owners when you look at the gouging still going on with things like engine rebuilds, headlights, air struts, the 8 different $100+ plastic vacuum lines, wheel bearings, etc. I guess there are some cheaper aftermarket options available like waterpumps that will ruin your engine block or control arms with bushings that will fail in a few years time.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:29 PM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
Those are very similar symptoms to mine except for my alternator intermittently worked a few times before it totally went **** up.
FML, just got the same warning last night traveling to indoor soccer. Voltage dropped to 12v (running off battery) while going down the road. After soccer when fired up she "reset" and was at the proper 14v again... Hopefully just a cold snap issue...

Subbed, great info so far. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:55 PM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

FYI:
Porsche Alternator - Hitachi 94860302503

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-alternator-cayenne-por-94860302500#fitment

2008-2010 unit. New for $830 with FCP Lifetime Warranty.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:14 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I've purchased all 8 of the $100 plastic vacuum lines over the last few years if that makes you feel better.

Edit: most of them are actually in the $115-$130 range...
Old 05-20-2021, 09:50 PM
sloanautomatic
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Good to review this before you dive in

thanks so everyone here for their help! I did it.
If I were going to do this alternator job again, I would have saved a couple trips to the store if I had these in advance:

1. Three new gallons of coolant and a funnel. Distilled water, if you don't buy the 50/50 mix.
2. Four m10-125 150mm (or longer) bolts. These are metric screws. Doesn't matter if they are/aren't hex heads. (just order these, they were impossible to get in my U.S. town of 3 million.)
3. Torx 6 Star Female Bit Socket Set
similar to this. similar to this.
Can't remove alternator without these. You also need a long, medium and short length Rachel set extension.
4. A bad *** glue kit specifically for plastic that has an agent that activates a permanent bond. The plastic parts the manual told me to buy did not fit the alternator that arrived, so I had to re-use some of the existing plastic pieces. The base of one of them broke a little and I was glad I could save it. That would have left me without a vehicle for a couple weeks.
5. A
kit like this kit like this
with various plastic screws for securing undercarriage, wheel well, plastic covers in the engine. As I got "intimate" with my vehicle I found many that had fallen off and I was glad I could replace them.
6. It would be nice to have a friend help you when you put the wheel well plastic back in. That was hard to do alone.

Work hours?
I am new to vehicle repair, and was working alone. It took me 2 solid long days (counting store trips) to do this job. This video said that 2 pro guys who work on cars all the time could do it in ~3.5 hours.

Tips:
Here is a video I made that explains what "Detach lock mount - Service position" is. It is important.
You gotta take picture of the screws in EVERY section before you start removing screws. This job requires you to remove roughly 60 screws of various sizes and locations.
I wish I had followed the instructions to clamp the coolant line before I disconnected it from the alternator. I had already drained the line, so I was lazy and figured it would be fine. It was not fine.

Stalling?
When I first started the car back up, it stalled immediately. Then I would try again and it would stay on. It did this about 6 times, but has not since I drove it on the highway for about 20 minutes.
Over that same time, some other error lights went away.

Soundtrack?
I found this job paired well with there album Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. I tried heavy metal, but don't recommend it.

Last edited by sloanautomatic; 05-20-2021 at 09:53 PM. Reason: the videos showed up as videos, and not tidy links like I had hoped. Gonna try again.

Quick Reply: Correct alternator?