Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010-77/)
-   -   Correct alternator? (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/1124428-correct-alternator.html)

Jeff928S4 01-16-2019 03:39 PM

Correct alternator?

2006 S

Got the dreaded "Electric load shut off" warning last night (followed by heater shutting off). Popped battery tester in lighter socket and saw the Cayenne was putting out 11.4 volts at idle (normally 13.4-13.6). Voltage meter also was showing between 12-14. From reading here, consensus is it's the alternator. This makes sense, as I believe the battery I had prior to the one I have now was bad (had to trickle charge it pretty much every night in the winter) and it strained the alternator. Past few weeks I was getting the "FWD system faulty" warning, which is how I know my battery is not fully charged at start up. Mind you, it has been extra cold here, but the new battery worked perfect last winter.

Went on a search for an alternator and it seems the correct part number is 94860301501 (or ending in 02, 03, 04, 05). Found absolutely no alternators available in Canada through local parts places, except one new Hitachi for around $1600 Canadian. RockAuto also had no alternators in stock.

Started my internet search and ran into the problem of if I need the "Delphi equipped" or the "Hitachi equipped" alternator (based on engine number), but then I read people were replacing the Hitachi with a Delphi.

My question is.......is the Delphi basically the same alternator - just different company? I know the Hitachi is supposed to better quality and is smaller (making it easier when replacing).

I saw many prices for re manufactured alternators - most of the Hitachi alternators were new and in the $1500-2000 range.....found a few re-builds for around $800. The Delphi's seemed to be around $800 new and re-builds around $400-500.

I ended up ordering a BBB Industries re-build from Carid. Looks to be a rebuild of the Delphi (has the Porsche black cover on the alternator). Got it for $140 American ($70 core) and $60 shipping.....(got the last one too)

https://www.carid.com/bbb-industries...08&url=5417627

Am I good to go with this alternator??? Also, when they replace it, what kind of coolant should I buy (I assume they need to drain the coolant?).

Thanks all!! :)

v10rick 01-16-2019 08:43 PM

Due to the high cost of replacing the alternator I would have the existing battery load tested FIRST.

If a cell is shorted you will see this error and read low voltage at the jump terminals.

KevinGross 01-16-2019 08:48 PM

Correct Bosch reman alternator for you is AL9420X. I have no idea who BBB Industries is and wouldn't use a part from them. My wholesaler (in the US) notes " Also use (Qty.) (1) 948 106 050 01 hose, (1) 948 106 462 00 hose connection, (1) 948 106 561 00 hose connection, (1) 948 607 931 00 heat shield, (1) 955 603 165 00 plug socket, (1) N 906 845 02 plug connector, (1) 955 603 167 00 gasket." I believe the Porsche p/n you have is correct.

Not to harsh your mellow, but experience over the years with alternators has been 1) use Bosch parts, 2) when using a Bosch reman alternator, make sure Bosch reman'ed it, not some questionable business in some remote corner of the world.

These guys claim to have it in stock in Canada: https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/produ...bosch/al9420x/

Good luck!

Jeff928S4 01-16-2019 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by v10rick (Post 15571643)
Due to the high cost of replacing the alternator I would have the existing battery load tested FIRST.

If a cell is shorted you will see this error and read low voltage at the jump terminals.

The battery seems to be charging well with my Genius charger. Old battery would take ages (at least overnight) to charge to max. Existing battery has held steady at 12v; I did have to charge it shorty (took about 15-20 mins to bring it back to max) just the other night - right before warning light came on.

I will get it load tested before any work is done - worse comes to worse, I have a spare alternator when it arrives.

19psi 01-16-2019 10:30 PM

At $140, I would find out where BBB Industries has their alternators rebuilt and what the process is. Many rebuilds from places like Advance and Autozone are rebuilt in China and often dead right out of the box. Happened to me a few years ago with a $70 rebuilt Advance starter for another vehicle...fortunately it was a 30 minute job. The Cayenne was a 5 hour job and I had no problem paying $400 for a new Bosch; can't tell you how pissed I'd be if I spent all that time only to end up with a DOA starter or something that craps out in a year or two.
I can understand taking a chance with a $140 alternator when the job involves a Ford or GM that requires basic hand tools and 10 minutes of your time. Your Cayenne will probably take close to 3 days (8 hours each) in labor. I doubt any mechanic will cover labor when you supply the part. At the very least, find a place that's capable of testing the alternator before installing it.

As far as coolant, I'd stay with Porsche brand as it's not that expensive. Unlike most fluids, remaining coolant in the system can have reactions with the different coolant and bite you down the road.

Jeff928S4 01-16-2019 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by KevinGross (Post 15571665)
Not to harsh your mellow, but experience over the years with alternators has been 1) use Bosch parts, 2) when using a Bosch reman alternator, make sure Bosch reman'ed it, not some questionable business in some remote corner of the world.

First off, thanks for the list of additional parts. I will start the hunt for a kit perhaps. And I will call the place in Canada to get a price on the Bosch.

I do tend to stick to Bosch. I will only use the Bosch spark plugs, for example. As for the alternator, I wanted to replace it with what was in there and according to my searches, the original alternator was a Delphi unit. A lot of search results showed alternators pulled from Cayennes that were being sold as "used". These all showed the Delphi unit. I figured if Porsche trusted this alternator, I should go with the Delphi.

You can see the Porsche logo on the black cap (and also on the sticker obviously)....

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0df58c8479.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...945ac9a0bf.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...34bbeb1f82.jpg

My problem arose, when looking at sites, the Hitachi unit kept popping up - and some sites sold the Bosche, Delphi and Hitachi - but a few asked what engine number the Cayenne was and if it was "Delphi equipped or Hitachi equipped". That is where I am confused. There was no mention of the Bosche unit being originally used. Every available unit I saw came with a one-year warranty.

BBB Industries in located in Alabama - not sure how remote into Alabama they are, but their website is pretty nice. Their products seem to be well reviewed on Amazon (for what that is worth) :)

http://www.bbbind.com/

...and 19psi - will definitely get it bench tested before install :)

J'sWorld 01-17-2019 12:26 AM

4.5l was Delphi, 4.8 was Hitachi. The Hitachi is a better alternator and a one wire hookup compared to two on the Delphi. I don't think Bosch was EVER O.E. equipment. I wouldn't even mess with a rebuilt. That would be asking for it. Don't forget a huge part of the cost is core charge. I got the Hitachi for around $500 about a year ago. And yes, the Hitachi is smaller.

ScootCherHienie 01-17-2019 05:10 AM

The Hitachi alternator in the 4.8 L 957 series has a water jacket around it with coolant circulating through the outer body of the alternator (if 200 degree water "cools" and alternator, you have to wonder how hot it would get without the coolant circulating through it). Not sure if the 955s have water cooled alternators or not. I think by 2006, they got rid of the second battery under the cargo floor... but if you do have a second battery in the cargo floor, that could be making it look like there's an alternator problem.

Jeff928S4 01-17-2019 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by KevinGross (Post 15571665)
These guys claim to have it in stock in Canada: https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/produ...bosch/al9420x/

Good luck!

Sadly, this alternator (or any of the other ones on their site) are not available.

Also, the Delphi I ordered is on back order, so the hunt for an alternator continues.......

Jeff928S4 01-17-2019 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie (Post 15572463)
The Hitachi alternator in the 4.8 L 957 series has a water jacket around it with coolant circulating through the outer body of the alternator (if 200 degree water "cools" and alternator, you have to wonder how hot it would get without the coolant circulating through it). Not sure if the 955s have water cooled alternators or not. I think by 2006, they got rid of the second battery under the cargo floor... but if you do have a second battery in the cargo floor, that could be making it look like there's an alternator problem.

THANKS SO MUCH - this is exactly what I was looking for. I believe the 955 alternator is also water cooled. :)

I do not have the extra battery in the back and I don't have any water leaks that could cause shorting out under the drivers seat. I still haven't even checked to see if the belt is ok......but I doubt a slipping belt would cause the appearance of a completely dead alternator.

Jeff928S4 01-17-2019 02:31 PM

Took the Cayenne to the local indy shop and asked them to pull the alternator.

This way, at least I know exactly which alternator is in there. Taking it to a local alternator repair shop and have it tested/taken apart and go from there.

nodoors 01-17-2019 03:32 PM

Those are very similar symptoms to mine except for my alternator intermittently worked a few times before it totally went tits up.
The 955 definitely has a water cooled alternator. My 2005 had a delphi with a 1 wire hook up - the harness was identical to the new one for the hitachi. I replaced it with a hitachi and was very glad I did after comparing the two side by side. Do yourself a favor and go with the newer, better alternator if you are going through all the expense and trouble.

You will definitely want to replace all the plastic coolant adapters and hoses. Mine were quite brittle and I am shocked had not started leaking yet. There are two adapters and another dreaded porsche plastic tee!

The hitachi is much easier to get into position and install. It is really important to examine the heat shield and orientation of all the connections/wiring when removing the old alternator or you will fill up the swear jar if you haven't already at this point. It is a major pain the ass to get the new one in and is easy to break the harness on the back of it, but it has to be all hooked up before you get it in position.

If you take it to a repair shop to have the old alternator pulled without the replacement handy make sure they are a meticulous outfit. Your car is going to be in a hundred pieces while it waits for the new one, especially if it is a CTT. Paying for the labor twice does not sound like fun either. Good luck!

J'sWorld 01-17-2019 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff928S4 (Post 15573343)
Took the Cayenne to the local indy shop and asked them to pull the alternator.

This way, at least I know exactly which alternator is in there. Taking it to a local alternator repair shop and have it tested/taken apart and go from there.

It's going to be a Delphi unless it was replaced prior. And I cannot stress Nodoors post enough. Break the bank for the Hitachi. Surely there is a way to get it to Canada from the US for a reasonable cost compared to the prices your finding.

Originally Posted by nodoors (Post 15573480)
Those are very similar symptoms to mine except for my alternator intermittently worked a few times before it totally went tits up.
The 955 definitely has a water cooled alternator. My 2005 had a delphi with a 1 wire hook up - the harness was identical to the new one for the hitachi. I replaced it with a hitachi and was very glad I did after comparing the two side by side. Do yourself a favor and go with the newer, better alternator if you are going through all the expense and trouble.

You will definitely want to replace all the plastic coolant adapters and hoses. Mine were quite brittle and I am shocked had not started leaking yet. There are two adapters and another dreaded porsche plastic tee!

The hitachi is much easier to get into position and install. It is really important to examine the heat shield and orientation of all the connections/wiring when removing the old alternator or you will fill up the swear jar if you haven't already at this point. It is a major pain the ass to get the new one in and is easy to break the harness on the back of it, but it has to be all hooked up before you get it in position.

If you take it to a repair shop to have the old alternator pulled without the replacement handy make sure they are a meticulous outfit. Your car is going to be in a hundred pieces while it waits for the new one, especially if it is a CTT. Paying for the labor twice does not sound like fun either. Good luck!

+1

oldskewel 01-18-2019 02:15 AM

For those who have had failed alternators, has anyone checked to see what component exactly failed? I usually just repair my alternators myself rather than replacing, but have not had any problems on this one yet, 2004 S.

jtakhtalian 01-18-2019 01:03 PM

Why all this confusion on which alternator was actually installed in the car? Wouldn't it be much easier to go down to your local dealership and have them look it up using the car's VIN? No need to tear the car apart just to find out what sits deep inside the engine bay.