Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne for the 2019 Baja XL Rally

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 12:54 AM
cameron110
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to all for the words of support and advice.

Anton the team member from back east arrived today. We leave for LA Wednesday night. Scrutineering is on Thursday and race start is at 6am on Friday!

Things are moving along well everything we have to have done is finished but as with any project there is still plenty we would like to do.

It's been rainy here in northern CA and tomorrow is finally supposed to be nice so the project of the morning is to do this four more times:

Old 01-21-2019, 01:27 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,221 Likes on 3,967 Posts

Is the race televised or is there coverage that can be live-streamed. Would be cool to be able to follow along with you.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:30 AM
cameron110
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
Is the race televised or is there coverage that can be live-streamed. Would be cool to be able to follow along with you.
It's not on TV or web streaming in real time in any official way. There is a facebook group set up for the event that has some chatter here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/229493754055446/

I'd be happy to send you the link and log in info for our personal satellite tracker if you are interested, just shoot me a message.

I'll also do a thorough trip report over in the racing section when we get back.

Last edited by cameron110; 01-22-2019 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:53 AM
cameron110
Advanced

Today's update is in the form a GIANT thank you the Robert and his team out at Specialized German they have sponsored us with some spares parts for the rally.

They are the biggest European only dismantling yard in California and it was really cool to get to check out their set up. They've got so many p-cars there, it really got the mental gears turning for future projects. All the guys there were super friendly and stoked on what we are doing.

80 hours to race start! It's all coming together well. The decals for our livery goes on tomorrow. We finally got a break from the rain and cool temps here and we knocked out the other wheels and a few other bits in red today.

The quality control inspector came out for a check as well.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:13 PM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by cameron110
This video shows off the traction control well. This is without the center dif lock and not in low range, just normal automatic street mode for the transmission. The suspension is in the highest setting to help with the breakover clearance. My brother is at the wheel, a nice steady foot on the throttle and some confidence in the traction control is all it took.

https://api.smugmug.com/services/emb...lbumKey=QHSMjk
Nice!!! Really shows what "stock" TC can do for you w/o much effort in tough conditions.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:49 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Do you guys have any goals or expectation for the race other than to "finish"?
​​​​​​​
Old 01-22-2019, 08:16 PM
cameron110
Advanced

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
Do you guys have any goals or expectation for the race other than to "finish"?
We are genuinely hoping to be competitive in the points standing. The race two years ago was won by a realativly stock Mitsubishi Montero. Second went to a newcomer to this style of rally. There is a lot of strategy to scorring points and it isn't reliant on outright speed. All that is to say I don't think our aspirations are missguided.

We also all know that finish first, first you have to finish so we will be applying a reasonable amount of mechanical sympathy in hopes of staying competitive overall by playing the long game.

​​​​​​​
Old 01-22-2019, 09:56 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

What percentage of cars finish typically?
Old 01-28-2019, 03:35 AM
h_____
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking good guys - keen to see final pics of the car.

Nice idea on cup holders. Please remember, I've always disconnected the battery before pulling that module out - I cant work out if thats neccessary. If you find out let me know!!! :-)
Like the USB instal - thats cool too.

Lots of cool stufff in this build to take away. Really appreciate the sharing!
Old 02-03-2019, 10:57 AM
bigbevo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been following this thread and just scanned the facebook group for an update....It appears they are in 6th place from the standings post yesterday that I really couldn't understand. Did find this pic tho...

Old 02-03-2019, 02:47 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Super cool. Hope they come back with lots of pics.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:29 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbevo
Did find this pic tho...
That one dude's ride looks like he took a wrong turn coming from the grocery store and said, "Why the hell not?".
Old 02-04-2019, 12:07 PM
jwyatt8171
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
That one dude's ride looks like he took a wrong turn coming from the grocery store and said, "Why the hell not?".
He must be asking for directions...
Old 02-06-2019, 01:22 AM
cameron110
Advanced

Hi all,

We had an amazing time and as someone found on the facebook group we took 6th which is a result we are extremely happy with. I'm just now getting caught up on the home front

Originally Posted by nodoors
What percentage of cars finish typically?
In the 2017 running it was something slightly north of 50%, I'm not sure where that shook out this year but I think it was a bit higher. There was a bunch of attrition both in the adventure class and in racing.

Originally Posted by h_____
Looking good guys - keen to see final pics of the car.

Nice idea on cup holders. Please remember, I've always disconnected the battery before pulling that module out - I cant work out if thats neccessary. If you find out let me know!!! :-)
Like the USB instal - thats cool too.

Lots of cool stufff in this build to take away. Really appreciate the sharing!
Thanks for the complement on the build ideas. We never disconnected the ABS module and we ran the truck super hard an very mixed terrain. The only thing we didn't do was jump it but we took some very hard hits in gullies and ditches that we didn't see in time to slow down appropriately for. The USB charger with integrated voltmeter was great, it kept the Garmin Inreach charged and running all the time and allowed us to keep an eye on battery voltage since we used the rack mounted floods for camp set up with the truck off and the GPS data logger was mandated to be running non stop 24 hrs a day for the duration of the event,

Originally Posted by Brainz
Super cool. Hope they come back with lots of pics.
about 2000 and 40 plus gigs of video. It's gonna take me a little while to wade through it all but rest assured I'll post plenty of the best of it.

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
That was a super nice guy from Switzerland who had reserved a rental 4 door Jeep JK and was entered in the race category. When he went to pick up the jeep he told them he was planning to go to Mexico. They then refused to rent him the JK but rented him that Honda CRV as approved to go to Baja. I don't know which company he used but he was, needless to say, more than a bit bummed. He decided to make the best of it and ended up picking and choosing a few bits of the race course to complete and mostly stuck to the Adventure Touring route.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:26 AM
cameron110
Advanced

I'll get a bit more details about the build posted in this thread and be happy to answer any questions about the set up here. In the coming week or so I'll be starting a thread in the racing section to post a full report of running the event with a bunch of photos and some videos as I think there will be enough interest beyond just us Cayenne people to make it worth putting out there. I'll post a link as soon as I get that one started.

For now here is a pic of the truck from Scrutineering:

The keen eyed will notice a livery change between that and the pic @bigbevo posted from FB. The first point of the rally was for costumes at the start line. Rather than dressing ourselves we costumed the truck and revealed the final livery on the starting line.

Last edited by cameron110; 02-06-2019 at 01:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Cayenne for the 2019 Baja XL Rally