Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Level control module repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 09:51 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Someone on the fb fix used this fix yesterday after being reluctant to try. It worked for him! The goop is in all I've seen.
The following users liked this post:
cordsig79 (12-15-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 11:24 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
What's above the area with the goop on it? Do you have 2 circuit boards there.. or are those photos of the top and bottom (the fact they're rotated in orientation makes that hard to determine.)
The first post with 2 pictures is my current level and control module which is acting buggy......front and back. But when I opened it, it had the brown substance on it. Much different than the OP's crack and solder post above.

I remembered I saved my last control unit.......I thought maybe it was cracked too and I could just solder it but when I opened that unit......it had a similar brown stain.

Sorry about the angles...I am on mobile.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:25 AM
MM951
Race Director

Mine had similar goo on it. I cleaned it with 90% alcohol and contact and board cleaner. No issues. Where youre looking to solder is on the other side of that board, the relay that powers the board.
The following users liked this post:
cordsig79 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 02:24 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

I cleaned the board with alcohol and the leveling module is working great again.

Going to try and clean my original one as well and see if that works too.

Will be interesting to see this evolve

Old 12-16-2019, 04:38 PM
brett968
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

That looks a lot like solder flux residue. The fact that it dissolves in alcohol bolsters my suspicions. My guess is that the control units were hand-reworked around the microcontroller/ASIC pins during the production process due to some issue in board manufacturing.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:29 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

Yea, I agree with brett968, sounds like flux to me. They make non-corrosive flux these days, supposedly no need to clean it up - you can leave it on the board and. At least so they claim. Maybe that's what they were using here? Old school flux was corrosive and had to be cleaned off or it would continue eating away the board.

My first knee-jerk reaction was to blame the caps, but the stuff did not spread to any of the caps, so can't be it.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:01 PM
Skitch
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this cap bulging on the top? Not the source of the flux, but that can be a sign of impending failure.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:45 AM
shanusanus
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi all - sorry to resurrect and old thread but today I got the dreaded Air Suspension red dash warning and my car has dropped to its lowest setting with wheels almost touching the arches (I have big wheels on my Cayenne)

Ive taken out the Level Control Module and opened it up.

Firstly - I cant quiet make out where I am supposed to be looking for solder issues - near a Relay but just not sure which one - what area. Could some one be kind enough to point exactly where out to me please?

Secondly - I also have that weird gluey stuff on the other side of the board. Was that what was also causing issues in these units? Is it worth me cleaning with Alcohol stuff?

Thirdly - if i cant repair mine can I just buy another off ebay without the need to reprogrammed it to my car?

Ive attached my photo's thanks in advance

Old 02-19-2020, 02:26 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

first put it on a trickle charger ASAP. You can use any 12v 1amp or greater on the bakery posts in the engine. Then reinstall the module. Restart the car at full battery

Then if that doesn’t work. Uninstall the module, Clean the board, and reinstall one last time.

Then buy an eBay unit that works.

i think my unit was a dirty and low battery situation. After my first red light error and suspension failure... I have to trickle charge once a month or suspension errors happen Etc.

Old 04-29-2021, 01:49 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just touched up those 4 relay solder pins and seems to have fixed mine as well! Will update if it does not, but error went away for first time in forever even after I pulled the module out and back in 3 times to be sure connectors were good. Thanks OP, life saver!!!
Old 10-04-2021, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The front of the car was very low and I was getting intermittent air suspension/take it to the workshop errors. I removed the control unit (behind the right removable panel in the trunk), after pulling the plastic locking mechanism in the connectors, removed the circuit board and re-solder connections to both relays, as well as the FET (?) drivers. Now the car is level and no errors so far.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:47 AM
MM951
Race Director

Awesome, I'm so glad to hear this is helping so many people!
Old 03-09-2023, 11:25 AM
RivaDivaSkis
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! I'd like to start by saying THANK YOU!! OP that is quite a fix! I've scrolled a lot of different forums over the years and after this I had to actually make an account for the first time only to say thank you!
We just purchased an 04 CTT for a song, it's had some hard miles, looks like been through multiple stereo shops, red warning suspension light, we slowly drove it home on its bump stops. After also not being pleased with either option the $200 used ebay unit nor the multi thousand dollar new module I thought I would try this. Wouldn't you know it my control unit was cracked in the exact same spot, you can't see it without a magnifying glass but every solder joint on that same relay was cracked all the way around the post. Re soldered, put back in, calibrated with foxwell scanner, works like new, no warning lights no codes. wow. thank you so much

Also I want to add that the battery found in it is a flooded wet cell 850cca, I'm not intelligent enough to say that is the cause, but I will say its being removed and replaced with an agm h9 asap, we love this CTT

Last edited by RivaDivaSkis; 03-09-2023 at 11:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Level control module repair