Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 04:13 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offroading in the Porsche

Hey,

I'm not sure I quite get the idea of the Cayenne just yet. I admit I am a little biased because of my outward derogatory views to SUV's (I won't get started, I promise!), but are these really off-road vehicles or suburban neighbor impressors?? Now as bad as that sounds, I don't mean this in a bad way really! What my point is... I want to know if anyone here ever takes these things offroad

trying not to sound like an a$$hole!
-Kevin
Old 02-01-2004, 10:33 AM
GM Austin
Pro

The Cayenne is very much a capable off-road vehicle and in this respect it is more honest to the SUV concept than the majority of current SUV designs, particularly the crossovers. I would include all Jeep and Rover models as being honest, off-road capable vehicles as well. No posers there.

The Porsche differs from other capable off-road vehicles in that it also has outstanding on-road performance, arguably better than any other SUV made. This range of capability, on and off the pavement, is unique in the industry.

How owners use their Cayenne may be a different story. The most common usage for all owners will be suburban transportation but many of us also enjoy recreational off-roading. I have had mine off-road several times, one occasion being to meet several other Cayenne owners to go off-road. The photo below is my Cayenne in Big Bend National Park, where I am going again later this month. There have been many photos posted here of Cayennes in the rough and other members may want to identify those threads for you.

Last edited by GM Austin; 03-04-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:53 AM
camcayenne
Advanced

Default "off-road?" (long)

many cayennes will be purchased because of its on-road handling and its driving position, very few will be purchased for serious off-roading - Porsche own figures states less than 10%. BUT whilst mine will stay on pavement most of the time I have and will continue to use it for areas where other vehicles with similar on-road performance would either struggle or risk serious damage, things like crossing muddy fields, rough farm tracks (where normal cars bottom out) and flooded roads. Every year the main road on my way to work floods, only a foot or so deep, but enough to stop a normal car, so 30 mile detour or go through it - with the Cayenne I can. The whole point of the Cayenne is that it is so versatile and you can have the best of both worlds; a capable 4x4 with off-road capability and height one minute, fast comfortable cruiser the next, with handling that puts many sports-cars to shame. If money were no object I would have a 911GT3 RS; a Hummer (first series) and a Audi A8W10 in my garage, unfortunately it is and with the Cayenne I have a lot of the virtues of all the above cars in one vehicle.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Kevin, GM and cam... summarized...

...the Cayenne very well. I'll add that I believe it's the world's best sUV and so good I call mine a S(uper)SUV. It's my 4th 4WD SUV but 1st Porsche, and I take it off-pavement not infrequently. Here's a pic taken during my fall-colors fototrip last October.
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2004, 01:49 PM
JeffES
Pro

Jeffrey... what a great photo!!! Wow!
J
Old 02-03-2004, 09:17 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Those pictures are what I like to see I'm used to suburban soccer moms who slow down for puddles... and I don't like that. If you get a 4WD SUV, why not use it? Right?
Old 02-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 124 Posts
Default TYVM.

Originally posted by JeffES
Jeffrey... what a great photo!!! Wow!
J
That was taken on the way to Engineer Pass on the northen end of what's now known as the Alpine Loop. It's south of Ouray and e. of US550. We were there for fall colors and got some! See http://community.webshots.com/album/94072630QAdoQV for more pics.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:52 AM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Kevin (FSAEracer03),

I am really crazy about my Cayenne. I think it goes far beyond any suv, and is more like a high performance sedan. The handling is nothing but fantastic; I've yet to find its limits.

It was a great compromise for me: I wanted a daily driver w/ great performance, utility, comfort and 4wd. I can't think of a better car. Forget the soccer mom concern: regardless of what their called these cars are really high performance vehicles! You will be suprised!

Jeffrey,

Beautiful photograph. Send it to Panorama!

Craig
Old 02-04-2004, 01:49 AM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Off Road

For me, I have wanted a Porsche that could drive in Alaska...as our winters are long and nasty....generally rugged conditions. Finally...the Cayenne. The roads are lumpy, icy, snowy, covered with gravel etc for most part of the year. My Cay S have been great in all these conditions. I drive it with confidence in it's 4x4 abilities. No, I don't purposefully take it into the backcountry to cross rivers....and I don't think it was ever designed as a safari truck. It is one sweet 4x4.............hands down....AK
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2004, 09:35 AM
GM Austin
Pro

No, I don't purposefully take it into the backcountry
Yeah, but your frontcountry is more rugged than most peoples idea of backcountry.

Again AK, gorgeous photo. Always a pleasure to see those mountains and that low angle lighting is so dramatic.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:56 PM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

A beautiful picture CayenneAK!
Old 02-04-2004, 09:06 PM
dawktah
Racer

Great pics you guys! I wish I were near either one of you to utilize its potential. Here in the midwest not to many places of interest to go off-road. Maybe some other Chicago area Cayenne owners will organize an on/off-road event.

Here we can get lake effect snowstorms that will strand any car, all wheel drive or not so an SUV is of utmost importance. Snowplows are notorious for blocking your freshly plowed driveway.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:10 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Thanks...

Originally posted by Craig
A beautiful picture CayenneAK!
Gee...thanks guys......it is beautiful up here...but freakin' cold...AK
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2004, 10:59 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

There does not appear to be any negative aspects to adding underbody protection, for those who plan to use the Cayenne off-road in situations that pose risk to underbody components.

The Tequipment catalog offers two front skid plates, 955.044.800.15, for the S and 955.044.800.16, for the Turbo in addition to an engine skid plate, part number 955.107.981.00, which is part of the Advanced Offroad Technical Package.

The Advanced Offroad Technical Package also lists: "additional protection for the fuel tank and rear axle", as being included with that option. Those parts are not listed in the Tequipment catalog. It seems reasonable that these parts could be located and ordered through the dealership and added to the vehicle.

A second tow lug is included with that option. As the Cayenne has four lug mounting points, it would not hurt to fully populate these, by purchasing three more, as the factory off-road testing photographs show in the book: "Porsche Cayenne", by Becker and Warter.

Adding protection and returning without damage is significantly better than the alternative.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:56 PM
GM Austin
Pro

Those are excellent suggestions, wingless. I added the front, stainless steel skidplate at the time of purchase and the dealer installed it. I bought the engine skidplate later and installed it myself:DIY Install. I have noticed the same additional skidplates you mentioned and I am sure they will become available later. Those tow lugs are a good idea too. Wish I had the part numbers.

When you are actually off-road in a Cayenne with the air-suspension fully raised, you realize the underbody is very much above it all. Compared to other off-road vehicles, the Cayenne has excellent ground clearance. I have driven in fairly rugged conditions and was never worried about bashing the underside.

All the same, I do intend to protect the underside with steel as it becomes available. There are many important components down there and much of it is only protected with plastic.

Quick Reply: Offroading in the Porsche