Sponsored by:

2009 Cayenne Base V6 Thermostat change

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 11:21 AM
HAYJAM
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Cayenne Base V6 Thermostat change

Looking for additional information on changing the thermostat on a 2009 V6 3.6L Cayenne. The manual I have says the transmission needs to be removed in order to replace. I have been searching around for anyone that has done the job without removing the transmission. The searches I found, it seems it is doable but it's unclear if they were able to do just the thermostat (accessing the 3 bolts to the thermostat cover) or if the whole thermostat housing has to be removed. my thermostat is beginning to act up as it seems to be getting sticky upon opening so preparing myself for what will be needed both tools and time wise.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:14 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Aside from the location of the thermostat (sorry, no tips for access from me), the biggest issue you would likely have is getting the air out of the system after you've replaced the thermostat. Vacuum pumps seem to work best for this.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:29 AM
mdistel
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Yikes if it’s really that involved to replace a cooling system component! Check out this thread on renntech, one guy has done it and I bet he would have mentioned if the tran had to be dropped. THe second link should be to a part set diagram showing the thermostat in the plastic pipe on the side of the engine, this ims what the vw community calls the “crack pipe” because they fail. I’ve got 101k on my 09 and give no my experience with BMW failed cooling parts I think I should be proactive butthe advice ive been getting is the overall system is solid.

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...ant-leak-help/

https://www.google.com/search?q=caye...8paTsnm8GDJAM:

Quick Reply: 2009 Cayenne Base V6 Thermostat change