Sponsored by:

Cayenne Turbo S lower control arms

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 07:12 PM
rombrigs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Turbo S lower control arms

I know a lot of owners over the years have replaced their failed fluid filled lower control arms, with the Turbo S part, which allegedly has stronger bushings that are not liquid filled.

The Turbo S arms were replaced this week, at 57K miles and 8.5 years. Factory original 2009 model year. I assume there may be some interest on how the alternate control arms have stood under real world conditions, accordingly attached are pictures.

Reason for replacement was a severe clunk and crunching noises primarily from the driver side, I went ahead and did both. In my estimation, from having owned five Cayenne's since 2004, is that these arms last about double the standard part.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:32 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

You can't even buy the old fluid filled bushings anymore, at least not from Porsche. The old part #'s are superseded to the Turbo S part. Too many issues and a short life.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:12 AM
MKITGO2
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
You can't even buy the old fluid filled bushings anymore, at least not from Porsche. The old part #'s are superseded to the Turbo S part. Too many issues and a short life.
Good to know, I think I'll have to do mine in the spring!
Old 11-20-2018, 02:40 PM
Jamescoop
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it recommended to replace the whole arm or is just pushing in a replacement bushing good enough?
Old 11-20-2018, 05:37 PM
ReducedSpeedAhd
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, do the GTS's have the fluid part too?
Old 11-20-2018, 06:52 PM
tats
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve used the torque arm bush from these guys - really nice. Haven’t used their suspension bushes yet though. https://www.powerflex.co.uk/products...29-3204/1.html
Old 11-23-2018, 07:22 PM
tjrob2000
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamescoop
Is it recommended to replace the whole arm or is just pushing in a replacement bushing good enough?
It is probably recommended, but I purchased the bushings separately and will be installing them in the near future. I'll try to remember to post here to let ya know how it goes. The AllData manual shows a bunch of "special tools" needed but we'll see if I can't just press them out and new ones in. I did see a thread somewhere where someone did this.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:23 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by tjrob2000
It is probably recommended, but I purchased the bushings separately and will be installing them in the near future. I'll try to remember to post here to let ya know how it goes. The AllData manual shows a bunch of "special tools" needed but we'll see if I can't just press them out and new ones in. I did see a thread somewhere where someone did this.
I am going to give the powerflex bushing a shot as well. IMO the upper control arm bushings are severely inadequate. My Audi a4 uses the same size! For the lower control arms I am on my second set of front, rear, and shock bushings in the arm. Ball joint is still tight! Hardest part of doing these on a press is positioning/holding the arm to get a clean and square press. I will give you a tip. Use and air hammer or whatever to destroy the old bushing and get them out. It is not likely you will have an old bushing or the right size sleeve to use as a press against and you don't want to use the new bushing. I like to put the bushings in the freezer pre lubed on the shell, and heat the bores in the arm with a heat gun or similar, not crazy hot just hot. You have to heat the whole arm or the localized heat will fade too fast. Of course scour the bores smooth and clean before hand. Work fast and the bushings slide right in!
Old 11-27-2018, 01:23 PM
Jamescoop
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tjrob2000
Really look forward to it, this is something ive been putting off for awhile

Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo S lower control arms