Old 01-24-2004, 09:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Post Cayenne audio problems

All,
After reading various threads over the past months, I would be interested in hearing exactly what problems/issues people are having with the audio systems in the Cayenne. I have experienced a few of these myself, some of which I understand, some of which I currently do not.
I am more interested in bugs in operation, rather than accoustics (i.e. not enough bass, etc, as these are somewhat subjective).

Recalling, I have seen posts discussing AudioPilot, No Audio (static condition), Audio cuts in and out).

It would appear as though the Cayennes are having more audio related posts when compared to the 986 & 996. Interesting, as the MOST amplifier and headunits are identical H/W but different S/W due to vehicle configuation.

Thanks for your comments,
Old 01-24-2004, 10:17 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

The MOST specifications define the data packets sent around the fiber optical ring. This includes header information as well as data, which in the case of the amplifier and CD changer, corresponds to the audio.

The specifications do not change for these components, depending upon the vehicle or the other components in the system, so their communication is the same, in both hardware and software.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:43 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

wingless,

My guess is that Lewis can describe the code segments in the MOST drivers involved since he WROTE AND IMPLEMENTED the Bose software used in the Cayenne and other late model Porsches.

Lewis.... I have started to experience the intermittent turn on the radio only to hear no audio (regardless of source selection - CDS, CDC, AM, FM). I stopped by Park Place today to check on some other items and mentioned the problem to my service guy. He ordered me a new amplifier on the spot! I'll get that replaced when my (your!) cardan shaft comes in.

It's pretty interesting that we've already had an amplifier software update (ver 1.21.18 - but does that update apply only to PCM-II systems? TSB 9110, dated 11/23/2003, seems to indicate PCM-II only). Are you looking for specific anomolies? I've seen settings for stations get dropped and random station settings appear on the CDR-23 display.

Any hints as to specifics you are checking on??

Toby
Old 01-25-2004, 12:03 AM
Pfisterbuilt
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I've been logging faults with mine as well, so far the most frequent are:
1) fm reception is very poor and it drifts too
2) sound will mute randomly - and no, haven't hit "mute"
3) random boot times - last time was 10+ min after start up
4) radio stations switch from one to another for no reason (input)
Old 01-25-2004, 12:54 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Toby

The PCMII update TSB stipulates update to the Bose Amp Software in addition to the PCMII Version 3.0 update. The list of bug fixes is short but includes the ones listed above.

Never had a problem with the audio myself but mine was updated last week.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:05 AM
KY_soldier
Racer

Lewis, I have experienced the audio cutting in and out. It almost seems as if there was an issue with speed sensitive volume, as the volume just randomly decreases, although it might just be some speakers cutting out. My ears are not quite sharp enough to tell! The first time it happened, I thought my wife turned the volume down on me!
Old 01-25-2004, 10:18 AM
SFernando
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't have the PCM, and have had no audio issues whatsoever. Love the stereo--blows away the rank POS BMW put in my X5. Any chance the audio issues are tied into the PCM?
Old 01-25-2004, 12:10 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Eric

turn off AudioPilot, thats where the problem originates, annoying as hell.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:09 PM
dchoutx
Intermediate

I turned off audiopilot because I thought that was the cause. It is still acting up.

Regarding it being soley a PCM issue, I had an S model w/o PCM for a day test drive before I purchased my CTT. Speakers cut out was more severe and more frequent than on my TT and the reception across the whole FM spectrum was terrible.

To clarify my sound syst. symptoms, the speakers will sound great with apparently all speakers doing there job and suddenly the sound quality will drop dramatically, like one or more speakers go dead. The system does not go completely mute. This happens w/ and w/o audiopilot on......

I thought it was weird that I read a Porsche disclaimer somewhere about radio signal reception not being their responsibilty. That reception quality is dependent on a plethora of factors........I never read anything like that before nor have I had this issue with anyother car.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:05 PM
goplay
Instructor

I have had similar problems with the radio in my 2004 GT-3. Disappaaring audio, random operation, etc. It appears there are lots of bugs in the MOST-based audio systems.

The dealer pulled the radio and reset it, and since then I haven't had any major problems.

Mine was the simple stock CD-Radio head unit with integrated amp. I suspect there could be many more interaction problems for navigation systems with separate amp.

Talk about a step backwards!
Old 01-25-2004, 04:26 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

There is definitely a fringe issue with the diversity antenna system.

Its directional as well. I had a "fade to bad quality" driving past a school. I went in their lot and drove around a bit to see how it was impacted by direction.

Definitely a rearward pattern, which is odd.

iPods are great :-)
Old 01-25-2004, 08:51 PM
dawktah
Racer

I have recently had the PCM display: System Error: CD Changer Not Available. The unit has not been playing and if it does for only 5 minutes at time. Otherwise screen flashes on/off no sound.

Quality control may need to be check to make sure fiber optic cables are not being damaged.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:17 PM
mohdraji
2nd Gear

My Problem is Only, when am using CD it showing ( unreadable media ) while i try all kind of CD's and Files format

please help me

Cayenne GTS 2009 4.8
Old 07-14-2017, 12:26 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by mohdraji
My Problem is Only, when am using CD it showing ( unreadable media ) while i try all kind of CD's and Files format

please help me

Cayenne GTS 2009 4.8
Holy Dead Thread Revival! That may be a record - 13 years ago was the last posting.

Have you tried playing a commercially made CD? Some of the read/write CD's don't play well with all players.

If a commercially made CD won't play - the CD unit is kaput. Probably not economically practical to repair.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:50 PM
branston
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Pfisterbuilt
I've been logging faults with mine as well, so far the most frequent are:
1) fm reception is very poor and it drifts too
2) sound will mute randomly - and no, haven't hit "mute"
3) random boot times - last time was 10+ min after start up
4) radio stations switch from one to another for no reason (input)
I have a '14 Cayenne that recently started the same station jumping...goes to a Spanish music station every time it does it. Any ideas??

Quick Reply: Cayenne audio problems