New Bore Scoring Survey 955/957, 2003-2010

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 09:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,679 Likes on 4,240 Posts

Originally Posted by Widarto Russell
Hi sorry to necro the thread, but im just wondering what peoples' thoughts are in regards to buying a V8 in light of this survey? Or is it much safer to stick to the V6 petrol or diesel, which don't seem to have any inherent issues, albeit less performance? Thanks
v6 wasn't a consideration for me when I decided to get a Cayenne. In fact, the GTS was the least powerful model I was willing to consider, and the attraction to that model was that I could get it with a Manual Transmission, but in the end after multiple test drives, there was no way I could give up the HP and Torque offered by the Turbos.

My view is why buy a Porsche or a car like this that's going to have higher maintenance costs and buy a lower performing version of it? If I wanted a car that had the performance of a v6 Cayenne, I'd buy something else that's more reliable and easier and cheaper to fix (Toyota, Infiniti, Acura, etc). To me the secret to the Cayenne is the performance of the high-end models.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but never really get it when I'm stuck behind a Porsche going 45 mph somewhere. Don't understand why that owner actually bought a Porsche, unless they just wanted to say they own a Porsche.

Believe me, if I'm driving one of my Porsches, you'll be behind me, but not stuck behind me.

Find a warm climate car 2009 or 2010, take care of it, and hope for the best.
The following users liked this post:
phL (02-25-2021)
Old 07-01-2020, 09:34 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by Widarto Russell
Hi sorry to necro the thread, but im just wondering what peoples' thoughts are in regards to buying a V8 in light of this survey? Or is it much safer to stick to the V6 petrol or diesel, which don't seem to have any inherent issues, albeit less performance? Thanks
I have zero experience with the diesel engines; the V6 as long as its the VW VR6 based model does not suffer any bore scoring issues.
Widarto Russell (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 09:34 PM
Widarto Russell
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
v6 wasn't a consideration for me when I decided to get a Cayenne. In fact, the GTS was the least powerful model I was willing to consider, and the attraction to that model was that I could get it with a Manual Transmission, but in the end after multiple test drives, there was no way I could give up the HP and Torque offered by the Turbos.

My view is why buy a Porsche or a car like this that's going to have higher maintenance costs and buy a lower performing version of it? If I wanted a car that had the performance of a v6 Cayenne, I'd buy something else that's more reliable and easier and cheaper to fix (Toyota, Infiniti, Acura, etc). To me the secret to the Cayenne is the performance of the high-end models.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but never really get it when I'm stuck behind a Porsche going 45 mph somewhere. Don't understand why that owner actually bought a Porsche, unless they just wanted to say they own a Porsche.

Believe me, if I'm driving one of my Porsches, you'll be behind me, but not stuck behind me.

Find a warm climate car 2009 or 2010, take care of it, and hope for the best.
Thanks for your reply!

Totally understand where you're coming from and mostly agree with you. I love the spec and trim level that you get with a Turbo, it's so much nicer than the base level 3.6 V6 or 3.0 Tdi. However, as this survey shows, late 08 Turbos are still affected by bore scoring, even in warmer climates. I'm still keen to test drive a Turbo or GTS, especially ones equipped with the rare offroad package, but I'll be checking for known issues first and asking about bore scoring symptoms.

However, in Australia for long distance touring, it is very tempting to get a VR6 petrol or 3.0 Tdi for increased reliability and fuel economy.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:38 PM
Widarto Russell
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
I have zero experience with the diesel engines; the V6 as long as its the VW VR6 based model does not suffer any bore scoring issues.
Hi thanks for your reply. The VR6, albeit less powerful, seems to be a reliable engine with less issues than the V8s. They also seem to be a bargain as they're often cheaper than the V8s and the diesels. I need to do more research regarding their fuel usage and maintenance costs so that I can compare the long-term cost of ownership.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:43 PM
986boxster1998
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2005 E81 Power Kit Turbo engine suffered scoring one of the coldest days of the year on 2/13/2020 last winter. Went out to start it at lunch to warm it up, went back 15 minutes later and car wasn't running which I found odd. Tried to start and made a clatter and died immediately, towed to a friends shop and confirmed scoring. The then fiancé and now wife and I had a very tense Valentines day last year given the quotes for putting a used motor in the vehicle were around the $20k range. My Cayenne has been sitting in my folks garage for roughly a year now, they also have a 2006 Cayenne E81 Power Kit Turbo with 101K miles and they have enjoyed the car considerably less knowing what may be around the corner for them. Started using Ceratec in their oil and Lucas Upper Cylinder lubricant regularly. I just completed the survey as well. Just recently tried to contact Porsche, it took them a good month just to reply to my inital e-mail and didn't answer my question if they would help with discounted parts and labor (I've owned 13 Porsches and have had may far share of repair bills and have never before asked for assistance), they said "no because the vehicle doesn't have warranty. With Covid this year my wife and I had originally planned a honeymoon to Europe going to the Porsche Museum and a Greek Isles cruise, but have now scrapped that in favor of visiting Hawaii. Thanks, Dan Hamann
Old 02-04-2021, 04:02 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 986boxster1998
My 2005 E81 Power Kit Turbo engine suffered scoring one of the coldest days of the year on 2/13/2020 last winter. Went out to start it at lunch to warm it up, went back 15 minutes later and car wasn't running which I found odd. Tried to start and made a clatter and died immediately, towed to a friends shop and confirmed scoring. The then fiancé and now wife and I had a very tense Valentines day last year given the quotes for putting a used motor in the vehicle were around the $20k range. My Cayenne has been sitting in my folks garage for roughly a year now, they also have a 2006 Cayenne E81 Power Kit Turbo with 101K miles and they have enjoyed the car considerably less knowing what may be around the corner for them. Started using Ceratec in their oil and Lucas Upper Cylinder lubricant regularly. I just completed the survey as well. Just recently tried to contact Porsche, it took them a good month just to reply to my inital e-mail and didn't answer my question if they would help with discounted parts and labor (I've owned 13 Porsches and have had may far share of repair bills and have never before asked for assistance), they said "no because the vehicle doesn't have warranty. With Covid this year my wife and I had originally planned a honeymoon to Europe going to the Porsche Museum and a Greek Isles cruise, but have now scrapped that in favor of visiting Hawaii. Thanks, Dan Hamann
It stinks that this happened to you, but the protocol of leaving a car idling in a driveway to warm up for 15 minutes certainly contributed to your bore problem. During that enrichment mode to heat up the cats, the DME is over-fueling the motor so unburned fuel ends up in the cats and burns to heat them up. This extra fuel if not being used to propel the vehicle washes the oil form the cylinder walls and can cause scoring.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:12 AM
greymda
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

i dont believe the ECU is enriching for the entire 15 mins. it starts regulating after some time, must find precise info, but i remember it's quite smart about it.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by greymda
i dont believe the ECU is enriching for the entire 15 mins. it starts regulating after some time, must find precise info, but i remember it's quite smart about it.
Correct. The damage gets done in the first couple of minutes while in the enrichment mode. The next 13 minutes just wear out the catalytic converters as they get really hot with no air moving past them. Idle speed is also when any type of ball bearings have the greatest load on them because they're spinning so slowly. When they spin faster the ***** kind of float and don't have the physical load of the assembly on them. Warming up a car in a driveway is about the worst thing you can do for it mechanically.
ekstroemtj (07-15-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 10:25 AM
hopsis
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

The secondary air injection pumps are there to compensate for the cold enrichment. Closed loop fuel trim control will only begin after the O2 sensors have warmed up enough. That being said, warming up the car by letting it idle is just bad for everything. On modern diesel engines, it can be quite fatal as the dpf filter will clog itself very quickly if left to run at idle for long periods of time without the chance of doing a regenerative burn.

lkraav (08-07-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 05:34 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Can I just say that A.) this is the sort of Porsche nerdiness that endeared my late Father to the brand and endears me to it (since as a non-engineer I rely on those more well versed than me to explain things out) and B) with an engine code 9PA AI1 it scares the bejeezus out of me. Granted I'm at 122k on the clock, and do not drive too dangerously, but it does remind me of the IMS bearing concerns (though to be honest the failure rate there is, by far, less than it is for the Cayenne.) I've been thinking about coils and plugs of late, think I'm going to put the order in. I can shine my new/notsohightech boroscope in each plug hole and see what's what. Thankfully Porsche had the sense to mount the packs/plugs somewhere reasonable as opposed to say, Ford, who loves to mount them horizontally on their older inline six motors (pulling plugs on an explorer through the wheel well sucked.)
Old 03-26-2021, 05:10 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Out of curiosity; outside the factory spec build sheet (which is where the Engine number normally is found) Is there anywhere on the motor itself that has the same number? Not that it's likely, but I wouldn't put it past a P/O to actually have swapped motors at some point.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:35 PM
ian158
8th Gear

Originally Posted by deilenberger
http://bit.ly/CayenneFailures

I think it addresses some of the shortcomings of the prior "poll".. this is for 955/957 V8 owners who have experienced a failure AND those who have not. Please take a look.
am I right in thinking it happened most in colder climates where block temps would affect the bores from start up.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:37 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ian158
am I right in thinking it happened most in colder climates where block temps would affect the bores from start up.
Yes, and in 2008 models more than the others.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:52 PM
ekstroemtj
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Just got mine back after engine job.
The company who did the job has Cayennes every week there with the very same problem. Different years, different models.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:41 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by ekstroemtj
Just got mine back after engine job.
The company who did the job has Cayennes every week there with the very same problem. Different years, different models.
Did you take it to the Christian fellah? Bet she's like new again....

Quick Reply: New Bore Scoring Survey 955/957, 2003-2010