Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Porsche Cayenne Turbo Engine Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 06:53 PM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
Of course its smaller. It's half the engine of the Porsche. What's the difference? To many for you to wrap your head around. The LS can never dream of achieving the volumetric efficiency of the of the Porsche. That's just the beginning. Anybody can have the Vette or the Mustang or whatever but there are still some things that money can't easily buy. Take it from a blue collar guy, you and I both purchased used Cayenne's. Time to suck it up.
Don't sleep on the LS. With minimal work they can be tiny killers.

To put this in perspective, 432 hp from 293 inches is 1.47 hp/ci. That’s an outstanding number in anybody’s book.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/make...0-4-8l-engine/
Cam & Head only 4.8 LS putting out 432 at 7000RPM. Less than $3k and lots of LOLZ to go with it.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:58 PM
tats
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have yet to hear of lifter issues. Or cam issues (other than the 958 Vario-cam, but that's different). Or anything other than bore scoring causing a pronounced ticking sound.
i can confirm that my 05 S had a similar noise caused by sticky solenoids due to oil changes at book 15km intervals. Frequent changes after a flush combined with the 9v cycling cured the noise. The loud piston slapping noise would increase with revs. Sounded half way between the jag video and the first one here, ymmv.

It took me and the mechanics in my family (there’s a few incl my 75yr old father) several months of research and head scratching to find the root cause. I was almost convinced I had scored a cylinder, but the thing was it didn’t sound like it. Was too high in the head - I’d a scored cylinder before on a lotus excel and many many times on motorbikes and this just wasn’t the same.

Last edited by tats; 09-30-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:49 AM
NelaK
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I was just thinking about it and realized - no one really suggested to OP that he could potentially source a used engine and just swap them.

I know its not really the recommended solution since who knows the condition of the replacement motor and the risk that the same issue happens to the next one as well but it is the cheapest solution by far.

I've seen Cayenne motors on eBay for $2000 to $6000. Parts and labor included you could probably come in under $10k. Plus you'd have a spare engine at the end which you could potentially sell parts off of or simply save up and send it off to Jack Raby to be built into a monster motor.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:56 AM
Jd_gts
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless it was some kind of special / rare vehicle, I couldn't justify spending 50% or more of the value of the vehicle to rehabilitate it. It's really too bad these vehicles have depreciated so much, but issues like this are exactly one reason for it. What a shame.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:32 AM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

My understanding on this issue is Porsche used a company called Grob Werke in Mindelheim, Germany to do the machine work on these engines. This company has a super expensive Zeiss optical tolerance verifier to make sure the bore sizes are perfect. When Grob gets overwhelmed, they sub out the overload work to a smaller shop that does not use the Zeiss equipment and unfortunately we have the problems we have now. The root cause is not enough piston to cylinder wall clearance. As the car heats up, the pistons expands at a faster rate than the bore causing scoring. The turbo cars are less prone to this because there is more tolerance built into them from them being boosted.

If you want any chance of trying to repair this at a reasonable cost, I would stop driving it now before you do more damage. Start doing research on nikasil options, you might find it's cheaper than you think if you cut out the middle man. I just had my 928 block done and also had custom pistons made for this application and the cost was less than $4k.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Often the cheapest Porsche ends up being the most expensive, case in point. Hope you can find a way to fix it reasonably. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2022, 05:00 AM
onurred
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tats

i can confirm that my 05 S had a similar noise caused by sticky solenoids due to oil changes at book 15km intervals. Frequent changes after a flush combined with the 9v cycling cured the noise. The loud piston slapping noise would increase with revs. Sounded half way between the jag video and the first one here, ymmv.

It took me and the mechanics in my family (there’s a few incl my 75yr old father) several months of research and head scratching to find the root cause. I was almost convinced I had scored a cylinder, but the thing was it didn’t sound like it. Was too high in the head - I’d a scored cylinder before on a lotus excel and many many times on motorbikes and this just wasn’t the same.
Hi! Thanks to everyone for the insights!

What do you think about this one?

Old 01-19-2022, 10:24 AM
brett968
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 100 Posts

That's piston slap 100%. Sorry.

Quick Reply: 2008 Porsche Cayenne Turbo Engine Issue...