Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing CDR-23 in place of PCM 2.0... can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 05:09 PM
levdeb
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing CDR-23 in place of PCM 2.0... can it be done?

Hey all!

So our 2006 Cayenne Titanium S is our "home depot" vehicle. Maybe the occasional trip up into the Rockies for some camping. Anyway, the head unit is shot. It comes on, Porsche Crest appears, and then it quickly cuts out. Tried the reset, unplugged all the plugs, pulled fuses, and still nothing.

I have an extra CDR-23 that I was going to install into our 1971 911, but we sold that project.

Since we just need noise (and don't want to fork over a few hundred $$$ for another stock system), and can't just install an aftermarket head unit (thanks to BOSE and MOST), can this CDR-23 plug right in? I know we lose the navigation ability (thank you Waze!), but if it plays the radio without changing the stock amp, speakers, etc, we will be elated.

Thoughts? Would love to hear what you all think.

Best, Bill

p.s. Yes, we know owning a German luxury brand comes with added costs, but we would rather spend our money on our daily driver Panamera if on anything.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:13 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 107 Posts

I don't know if it's plug n' play, but if it is, you'll still need to send it to Becker to have it unlocked. Protect mode removal is $80. Dealership may also be able to code it to your Cayenne for a lot more $$.
Even if you had all the MOST equipment, I doubt you would have ever made it work in your 1971.

You're probably better off buying a modern infotainment unit with NAV for under $200 and then a MOST adapter. The $80 + shipping you'll spend on having the 23 unlocked will pay for the MOST adapter.

Also the 23 display sucks! The screen has a polarized lens and was meant to be placed low in the console of cars like the 911. Some idiot at Porsche decided to use it as is on the Cayenne which makes it very difficult to see. Becker used to offer a modification to fix that too...at a price of course.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:57 AM
levdeb
Instructor

Default Code included

Thanks for the info! The CDR has the unlock pin included, is that what you are talking about? If a $200 aftermarket head unit works with an $80 adapter, that works for us! Any recommendations? Thanks again!
Old 09-09-2018, 11:47 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Are you sure you have the CDR-23? There is no code or PIN #...like many Porsche parts, it's married to the car it's installed in. If installed in a different car, it knows through the CAN bus and assumes it's been stolen. The CDR-22 looks similar and I believe uses a code like most cars.

As far as a new unit, read some of the threads in this forum on Android unit installs. All seem very happy with them over the stock system.
This is a unit I put in a 28 year old car of mine last year and I love it. Sounds great, one of the best NAV systems I've used and all bluetooth functions work perfect. I even added a backup camera.
Amazon Amazon
That one is a Windows based unit, but I've had no issues with my Android phone for phone calls and music streaming. Also not one glitch or lock up in over a year.
If the CDR-23 fails in my Cayenne, that's what will probably replace it.

The MOST adapters were very pricey but I see them now for as low as $100 from Chinese companies on eBay and Amazon.
The one drawback with any MOST adapter is that you lose front to back fader control of your speakers. Left/Right balance does work.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:32 AM
levdeb
Instructor

Default Didnt work...

Well, tried the radio anyway. Lit up and said "Porsche", then "Protect". No way to enter the pin code I got with the radio...

So, will be buying another non-Porsche unit and most adapter tomorrow! Thanks all!

Old 09-27-2018, 10:58 AM
levdeb
Instructor

Originally Posted by 19psi
Are you sure you have the CDR-23? There is no code or PIN #...like many Porsche parts, it's married to the car it's installed in. If installed in a different car, it knows through the CAN bus and assumes it's been stolen. The CDR-22 looks similar and I believe uses a code like most cars.

As far as a new unit, read some of the threads in this forum on Android unit installs. All seem very happy with them over the stock system.
This is a unit I put in a 28 year old car of mine last year and I love it. Sounds great, one of the best NAV systems I've used and all bluetooth functions work perfect. I even added a backup camera.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T3QC3JS
That one is a Windows based unit, but I've had no issues with my Android phone for phone calls and music streaming. Also not one glitch or lock up in over a year.
If the CDR-23 fails in my Cayenne, that's what will probably replace it.

The MOST adapters were very pricey but I see them now for as low as $100 from Chinese companies on eBay and Amazon.
The one drawback with any MOST adapter is that you lose front to back fader control of your speakers. Left/Right balance does work.
So finally going to order a replacement head unit. Do you know if I can buy "any" aftermarket unit and have it work as long as I buy the MOST adapter? Or just certain ones that talk to Porsche systems? For instance, would this one work: https://goo.gl/aCbc9d ? Thanks again for all the tips guys.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:05 PM
levdeb
Instructor

Default bypass BOSE?

Originally Posted by levdeb
Well, tried the radio anyway. Lit up and said "Porsche", then "Protect". No way to enter the pin code I got with the radio...

So, will be buying another non-Porsche unit and most adapter tomorrow! Thanks all!

Quick followup question: I see that the MOST adapters "bypass the BOSE amp". So will I need an aftermarket amp as well? I am buying the headunit you recommended, a double din adapter kit, and a MOST adapter. Just want to be sure I am getting all the parts I need the first time. lol Thanks again!

Adapter kit
Old 10-03-2018, 03:09 PM
levdeb
Instructor

Default This is the MOST adapter that supposedly works...

MOST adapter

Is it the same as yours?
Old 10-03-2018, 05:13 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Woah you need to get over to the Android install threads. You can buy units that fit perfectly flush with steering wheel buttons already mapped.
I started one thread here (thorough but very incomplete as of now)
and the original thread is here
Old 10-03-2018, 05:14 PM
levdeb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jonathan H
Woah you need to get over to the Android install threads.
I started one here (thorough but very incomplete)
and the original is here
Heading there now! Thanks!!
Old 10-03-2018, 07:00 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

The MOST adapter is to interface with your existing amp.
Also keep in mind the head unit I mentioned was my personal choice for another car of mine. Do some research and pick out something that fits your needs. Personally I'm not a big fan of Android systems and went with a Windows CE based unit...most probably feel the opposite. You'd probably be better off picking a model that's already been installed in a Cayenne with a "how to" and extensive follow ups.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:33 AM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 87 Posts

Could send it to Becker audio in nj to have it fixed. Less headache and the work is warrantied
Old 10-05-2018, 09:51 PM
levdeb
Instructor

Default Socket questions

Originally Posted by Rvca3112
Could send it to Becker audio in nj to have it fixed. Less headache and the work is warrantied
Appreciate that (and we did that for our 996), but really wanted to have more features (like bluetooth calling). Got the new unit now, and just trying to decode the wiring...!

Anyone know what these wires really go to? The Porsche schematic says these shouldn't even be used (socket C number 14). Do I even need socket C since I won't be using the Nav or CDC? I have socket C with wires on 1 (CAN Bus HI), 2 (CAN Bus Low) and 4 (Wake up Signal).

Socket C (1, 2, 4 and 14).

And I am using Socket A for wires 4 and 8 for 12+ and ground for my MOST adapter. Can I use 5 (ANT TRIG?) for the switched power to the MOST adapter too?

Socket A (4, 5 and 8)

I was an F-16 Crew Chief during Desert Storm, so I am familiar with wires (we had 7 miles of wire on each jet), but I really don't want to fry anything here... we certainly didn't have a BOSE option on the Falcons... lol

Thanks all!!
Old 10-05-2018, 10:20 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Use both sockets. Blue "ampcon" should power the MOST ACC wire and leave ANT for antenna only. I think ampcon has greater W output. Splice MOST ground to head unit ground. Splice MOST battery wire to head unit power. Wrap the antenna amplifier in electrical tape to help prevent buzz. If you don't have amplifier fakra splitter you will have ~10% reception. With splitter maybe 75%
Old 10-05-2018, 10:28 PM
levdeb
Instructor

Blue Ampcon??

Quick Reply: Installing CDR-23 in place of PCM 2.0... can it be done?