Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing CDR-23 in place of PCM 2.0... can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by levdeb
Watching video now. Super helpful! Noticed at 5:30 in your video you simply pry the upper speaker vent off. Mine (06 Cayenne S) has 2 screws you have to unscrew first. Want to make sure folks dont just pry if it's like mine.
Great feedback! I updated the post to mention that.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:37 PM
levdeb
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What an easy job. After realizing I didn't need ANY of the speaker wires, it was a simple 3 wire job. HUGE props to Jonathan H for the step by step and instant feedback!!

I ended up buying these parts:

1. Lexxson Android head unit: http://a.co/d/ii5HGst

2. Double DIN dash kit: http://a.co/d/e3DSIfc

3. MOST adapter: http://a.co/d/fWSUTjo

4. Add a Fuse: https://tinyurl.com/yd46pd8m

Unhooked the old unit. Plugged in the MOST unit to the Android harness ground, acc, and power. Then just ran new ACC power from fusebox.

The dash kit took a bit of dremel work to remove a tiny "lip", but then lined right up. This unit has 2 very long USB cables, so just routed them in the glovebox.

Put the GPS unit in the center dash speaker, and the built-in GPS tuning app found all to be good to go! Powered on, found my home wifi, and auto updated. Connected my phone via bluetooth, and was able to play music, videos, and even the MotoGP race with the screen mirroring.

Just now buttoned it all up. Son downloaded some movies and games from Google Play Store, as well as his ever important Instagram... Will do for a drive in a bit and test out the bluetooth calling and Waze app. Still waiting for FARKA to ANT cable to come in, and after thats installed, I will peel the protective screen from new unit.

For well under $300, its a HUGE upgrade to the standard PCM system. Will update with any changes as time goes on.

Suppose I will put the underseat Navigation setup, and the rear CD changer up on ebay, and maybe the old PCM unit?? Any market for those?

Thanks again for all the help! The search feature is a wonderful thing on rennlist!

Have a great weekend,
Bill

Before

After

Plenty of room for MOST box and cables behind new unit.

Amazon Prime downloaded movies

Music from USB stick (sons music, so forgive me...!)
Old 10-07-2018, 09:04 AM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Congratulations on getting it all up and running! Glad to see a successful install. If you wouldn't mind I have a few questions for the benefit of future adventurers:

1. What fuse location did you use for ACC? Which fusebox? How did you route your wire there?
2. Were the center speaker vent screws just removed from right behind the AC vents? Torx 20?
3. How did you get the USB cables to the glovebox?
4. Did the Metra instructions tell you exactly what to dremel away? Did you dremel in place or remove the assembly and dremel it outside of the car?

And a comment you may have already learned... due to microphone location your callers will have a hard time hearing you if your AC is blasting.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:12 AM
levdeb
Instructor

Morning! Here are some answers for you!

1. Used the Towing attachment fuse in the passenger side fusebox. Used fuse spot 41. Had the glovebox out so wires ran between glovebox and heaterbox assembly (where the OEM harness runs already).
2. Yes, 2 Torx 20 screws right behind the center vents.
3. I ran the USB cables thru the top of the glovebox, near where the glovebox light is.
4. Metra was not helpful at all. When I did a dry fit of the frame and unit, it was clear I would need to shave just a tiny bit of plastic away. Used a dremel with just a round sandpaper attachment.

We are heading out this morning to try out the calling features. If need be, I can turn off the AC for calls. At least I won't have to hang on to my phone anymore. lol

Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited by levdeb; 12-26-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:20 PM
levdeb
Instructor

Fuse 41 in the dash on passenger side!
Old 12-26-2018, 06:53 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Any longer term feedback on your setup? How is it treating you ?

Thanks for the great answers; very helpful
Old 12-26-2018, 07:32 PM
levdeb
Instructor

No news! Its been a great setup. We really only use the Cayenne about once every 2 weeks. But when we do, its been nice. The radio stations don't come in very clear, even with the powered adapter. But we listed to USB mostly! Thanks again to YOU. Would still be under the dash if not for your write up!
Old 03-25-2019, 04:41 PM
levdeb
Instructor

Quick update on my aftermarket install (further up the thread). The only negative thing I've found is that radio reception has been abysmal. I bought the farka adapter to use the stock ant, and wired up the blue power. But still horrible. So I just installed a short (7") aftermarket antennae and its perfect. I put the short ant in the center speaker grill cover on the dash, its again, it picks up all the local stations I had trouble tuning into after the headunit install.

Anyway, thanks again for the write up. And if anybody needs a Farka adapter, I will send it to you for free.

Bill
Old 03-25-2019, 05:14 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by levdeb
Quick update on my aftermarket install (further up the thread). The only negative thing I've found is that radio reception has been abysmal. I bought the farka adapter to use the stock ant, and wired up the blue power. But still horrible. So I just installed a short (7") aftermarket antennae and its perfect. I put the short ant in the center speaker grill cover on the dash, its again, it picks up all the local stations I had trouble tuning into after the headunit install.

Anyway, thanks again for the write up. And if anybody needs a Farka adapter, I will send it to you for free.

Bill
Please link to the antenna you used unless you just had it lying around; I want to grab one for each Cayenne
Old 03-25-2019, 05:46 PM
levdeb
Instructor

Quick Reply: Installing CDR-23 in place of PCM 2.0... can it be done?