Cheap Cayenne with "Electrical Gremlins" for Overlanding

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 01:22 AM
sexyfishsticks
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Cayenne with "Electrical Gremlins" for Overlanding

Hi boys and girls, greetings from the land down under,

Been getting into offloading and adventuring a bit here in Australia, I already own a new Landcrusier but she's a bit too nice if I was to go folding in a fender so ive been after a cheap basher under 10kAUD, problem is used Landcrusiers and Patrols are so sought after over here that they're really not what im after (all the cheap ones are baskets and the mid range has already mucked with), I can do most work myself and am technically skilled so I was after a out of the box virgin car that I could convert myself like a Rover L322 or sport, Volvo XC90 ect.

This brings me to my question, I have just had a mate offer me a beautiful condition 04 Cayenne S 150K km single owner with service history that he's sick of taking to the dealership for electrical problems, they're serious enough to stop the car from running (sounds transmission or engine sensors to me) but he says they've never been able to get it properly sorted. My question is how difficult are these cars to get right electrically, I would be hoping to buy it for 3.5-4K AUD and fixing it myself and taking it spearfishing and all the rest without wrecking my good cars. Does anyone here have serious experience with these "lemon" cars and what sort of money ball park goes into electrics considering a worst case scenario (work done myself and using junkyard parts); Im quite keen as the car is a beautiful spec and is mechanically A1 its perfect for what im after.

Kind regards,
George
Old 09-08-2018, 02:12 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,156 Likes on 764 Posts

Welcome to the forum George.

A thread worth reading: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...his-first.html
A place to become familiar with: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-diy-224/

In particular: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-moisture.html

If that's the issue - if you're handy with some elementary wiring - the cost to fix it is nil. Without knowing what electrical gremlins the owner may have experienced - it's just a shot in the dark as to what's actually going wrong and how to fix it (hopefully for good..) We need more info to make an informed response.

As far as money - if you troubleshoot by replacing parts (the last part you replace will be the bad one..) - it can be VERY EXPENSIVE to fix electrical problems on a Cayenne. Junkyard parts may not work - some modules are coded to the vehicle, and can't be used on a vehicle with a different VIN# - and other parts need to be coded to the specific options the vehicle has. That means buying a tool to do coding (if the part allows it) or spending $$$ at a dealership. If you're the more cerebral kind of guy who thinks through a possible troubleshooting scheme and then does it - it will be much less expensive than throwing parts at a problem. Luckily - you have this forum to help - there is very little that can go wrong on one of these vehicles that hasn't been discussed here.

Let us know what you decide to do - we're usually here to help.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:49 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

Warning - Old guy rant coming.

Get more details on what's going on electrically. Sometimes it's not all that hard to get through. It just takes persistence, a knowledge of electrical systems and an understanding of diagnostic procedures.

[Rant] The trouble these days is that the cars are so 'smart' that they will tell you what is wrong with them...

Most of the time. So the kids these days simply plug the computer into the car and the computer tells then what to fix...

Most of the time. When there's something that the computer can't find, recognize or diagnose, these kids are completely lost. Completely.

It can be something as simple as a corroded connection under the carpet causing the fault. But since the computer didn't tell them that, they have no clue what it is, where it is or how to find it.

[/Rant]
Old 09-08-2018, 09:50 PM
sexyfishsticks
4th Gear

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Welcome to the forum George.

A thread worth reading: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...his-first.html
A place to become familiar with: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-diy-224/

In particular: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-moisture.html

If that's the issue - if you're handy with some elementary wiring - the cost to fix it is nil. Without knowing what electrical gremlins the owner may have experienced - it's just a shot in the dark as to what's actually going wrong and how to fix it (hopefully for good..) We need more info to make an informed response.

As far as money - if you troubleshoot by replacing parts (the last part you replace will be the bad one..) - it can be VERY EXPENSIVE to fix electrical problems on a Cayenne. Junkyard parts may not work - some modules are coded to the vehicle, and can't be used on a vehicle with a different VIN# - and other parts need to be coded to the specific options the vehicle has. That means buying a tool to do coding (if the part allows it) or spending $$$ at a dealership. If you're the more cerebral kind of guy who thinks through a possible troubleshooting scheme and then does it - it will be much less expensive than throwing parts at a problem. Luckily - you have this forum to help - there is very little that can go wrong on one of these vehicles that hasn't been discussed here.

Let us know what you decide to do - we're usually here to help.

Hi mate thanks for the welcome, long story short the car is stuck in "limp mode" he said normally its a turn off/turn on again type deal, only it hasn't recovered this time, I didn't realise that specific parts needed coding. I think things through and from the sounds of the cluster being lit up like a Christmas tree I feel that its a case of not a actual broken part but a sensor or computer malfunctioning? Either from the sounds of it the support on here will be awesome, im hoping its something corroded or spliced as I had a different mate with a later model that had corrosion on the headlight or foglight wires at the splicing which threw codes everywhere
Old 09-08-2018, 09:53 PM
sexyfishsticks
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
Warning - Old guy rant coming.

Get more details on what's going on electrically. Sometimes it's not all that hard to get through. It just takes persistence, a knowledge of electrical systems and an understanding of diagnostic procedures.

[Rant] The trouble these days is that the cars are so 'smart' that they will tell you what is wrong with them...

Most of the time. So the kids these days simply plug the computer into the car and the computer tells then what to fix...

Most of the time. When there's something that the computer can't find, recognize or diagnose, these kids are completely lost. Completely.

It can be something as simple as a corroded connection under the carpet causing the fault. But since the computer didn't tell them that, they have no clue what it is, where it is or how to find it.

[/Rant]

Hahah yeah im a bit l of an old man like that as well, but on thew other hand theres so much more that can go wrong with these cars vs the old ones I used to work on "series 3 landrover". It would suck to say the least if you had to search a new model rover like we used to troubleshoot the old ones; but I feel you
Old 09-08-2018, 10:41 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,156 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by sexyfishsticks
Hi mate thanks for the welcome, long story short the car is stuck in "limp mode" he said normally its a turn off/turn on again type deal, only it hasn't recovered this time, I didn't realise that specific parts needed coding. I think things through and from the sounds of the cluster being lit up like a Christmas tree I feel that its a case of not a actual broken part but a sensor or computer malfunctioning? Either from the sounds of it the support on here will be awesome, im hoping its something corroded or spliced as I had a different mate with a later model that had corrosion on the headlight or foglight wires at the splicing which threw codes everywhere
First thing to do is get a Porsche specific code reader - that can read all the computer modules on the car (there are probably about 25 on an '04..) and see what threw it into "limp mode" - might be something simple (doubtful but vaguely possible.) That's pretty much an essential tool for the Porsche Cayenne DIY owner. All those modules can store fault codes that a normal OBD-II code reader can't even see. Without the right tool you're working blind.

Then when you find out what the car thinks is wrong with itself - come back here and post the findings. Someone has likely had the issue before and can offer some ideas on solving it.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:59 PM
tats
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Believe it or not I was thinking the very same thing this week - saw the prices of troopy's here in Perth and reckoned an old Cayenne would be awesome with some drawers etc...

If you've got an OBDII reader the plugs below ignition key near the bonnet catch, would've thought there'd be a code for the CEL. If the battery is gone/weak it plays havoc with all sorts of systems, so it could be something really simple like earth strap, battery or sensor issues - and in reality the early cars are not insanely complex and all the tech info is available. Or it could be something more technical. Parts aren't much more exxy than anyhting else here tho if you are prepared to wait a week or so for delivery from the US. And everything comes apart and goes back together easy (none of the bolts are made from cheese or seize up).

I'd say go for it, worst case you break it selling the parts on gumtree for more than you paid.... If it was in Perth I'd be very tempted myself.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:23 PM
tats
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey George, This may be a good reference for you -> https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...k-in-park.html
Old 09-20-2018, 04:05 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 137 Posts

Ask the owner if they've pulled up the carpet. (Which side would it be on for RHD market?). There's a bunch of wire that runs under the carpet that will get wet if the AC system, sunroof or engine room cowl areas leak. With enough saturation that cable (which has spliced) can get corroded and lead to all sorts of electrical shenanigans.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:00 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

we had one here at the shop, so butchered that we could never get it running. The dealer would not touch it so it became a parts car. With the theft control and all of the other sensors, plus maybe like a previous poster mentioned, ac evaporator drain clogged and overflowing, there are just too many variables and the faults will certainly not show up on a scanner
Old 09-24-2018, 08:52 AM
sexyfishsticks
4th Gear

Hi mate, when you say butcher, do you mean someone had already messed with it? or it was such a lemon they couldn't get it running?

Quick Reply: Cheap Cayenne with "Electrical Gremlins" for Overlanding