Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 06:17 PM
tadink
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad Day at Blackrock! CTT leaks, a LOT

Hey all -

Need some remote diagnostics here -

Turned the 2005 CTT off after a spirited drive, but also after letting it settle down at idle to let the turbos spin down, maybe a couple of minutes. Went back out and saw steam and fluid(s) coming from under the hood - popped the hood and could hear coolant heating up and then burbling out on the ground.....I figured the plastic T's had let loose. Steam and fluid appeared to be coming out of the back of the engine, drivers side. I've had the coolant overflow tank replaced already. We think the coolant pipes have been done - I traced the work back to the original dealer who pulled the part numbers and indicated they were alum.

Here's the odd(er) part - after 2 days, the coolant has not dried up from the asphalt driveway, looking every bit like a massive oil discharge. Some of the residual fluid is slippery to the touch.....wtf??

Assuming that there is more to the problem than 'just' the coolant T's, what else catastrophic thing could have happened???

I'm so scared! :-[

Any thoughts?

I should mention that this was the rescue mission to pick me up after breaking the timing belt in the Toyota Landcruiser 'bulletproof' daily driver. I figured the LC would take some pressure off the CTT for routine errands, etc, and be much more reliable. It was a good plan, but apparently not a great plan! :-/

Tom
Napa
Dos Lagos Vineyards

Last edited by tadink; 08-07-2018 at 06:18 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-07-2018, 08:30 PM
hinchcliffe
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

It's the glued in fitting in the crossover, can almost guarantee it. Pull the intake, high pressure fuel pump and glue it back in with Loctite 620. Or have a threaded version made and try to screw it back in
Old 08-07-2018, 09:36 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Coolant Tee's
Old 08-08-2018, 02:27 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by hinchcliffe
It's the glued in fitting in the crossover, can almost guarantee it. Pull the intake, high pressure fuel pump and glue it back in with Loctite 620. Or have a threaded version made and try to screw it back in
That is a 955, not a 957. I am with Jayme on this one. Coolant Tees are the by far the most likely culprit. Get your cuss bucket and bandages out, OP!

Here are some links to get you fully informed on the situation:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...placement.html
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Cooling-S...rts_Order.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post12865984
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post12734618
Old 08-08-2018, 07:23 AM
hinchcliffe
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Whoops, misread 2005 for 2008. Yes, coolant Tees...
Old 08-22-2018, 08:12 PM
tadink
Intermediate

Gents -

have now confirmed it is the Coolant T's - I have ordered and rec'd the alum replacements....

Question: What else should we do while the manifold cover is off? Is there a way to check if the starter has been bathed in coolant?
Question2: how long should it take to remove / replace the manifold cover?

here's a pic!

cheers

td
Napa
Old 08-22-2018, 08:42 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by tadink
Gents -

have now confirmed it is the Coolant T's - I have ordered and rec'd the alum replacements....

Question: What else should we do while the manifold cover is off? Is there a way to check if the starter has been bathed in coolant?
Question2: how long should it take to remove / replace the manifold cover?

here's a pic!

cheers

td
Napa
The "pic" seems to be missing. I assume by "manifold cover" you mean the actual manifold (plastic, big tubes running side to side)..? Not all that difficult. If you look for threads on replacing the plastic cooling pipes - it's exactly the same. Injectors and rail come out as a unit, then some screws and you can lift off the manifold and the throttle body as a unit. Given the age of the vehicle, I'd want new manifold gaskets - the old ones have probably been pretty well baked by now. It might be worth replacing the injector O rings if they can be found. And make sure to tape up the intake openings in the heads before doing ANYTHING else after removing the manifold.. you don't want stuff dropping down them and into the cylinders. Once the manifold is off the starter is right there to look at.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:28 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

1a. I would at a minimum do the thermostat and every gasket you see or touch. The starter will not get bathed if the tees broke, but it is not a bad idea to replace while you are in there if you value your time and enjoy wrenching projects, but not wasting time doing the same thing over and over.
1b. As far as man hours it will take. It depends if you do the starter, which coolant pipe set is installed, and how good you are at 3d tetris. It is about a 10-12 beer project... time conversion of that unit is up to you.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:37 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

Replace the little plastic T just behind the manifold. I think it is about 1/4 ". Here is a thread with a pic.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...idding-me.html
Old 08-23-2018, 11:51 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

^^Yes, do that too.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:38 PM
tadink
Intermediate

Thanks guys -

yes, we are going to do the T-stat, Starter and the little T junction (that had been cleverly epoxied by a previous 'fixer' - LOL). The plastic coolant T had one arm come off - great bit of engineering there Porsche!
With 104k on the rig, the starter seems a likely 'right thing to do' effort.

on the bright side - I can finally CONFIRM that I have alum coolant lines!! Someone already did that in the dim and distant past for this CTT! yay!

Should be back on the road soon (awaiting the next thing to happen)!!

We should start a lottery - if we all dump some money into the pot the next poor sod who has a catastrophic and easily avoided failure due to Porsche accountants saving $1.00 off the cost of a $125k retail vehicle can be covered!! sigh.

Happy motoring!

td
Old 08-28-2018, 02:11 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I just had Steven's Creek do this same exact fix for me, but didn't let it get so far as having the swimming pool of stuff coming out (my wife would have had a heart attack). Total bill was a tad over $3K, with the vast majority of it being labor. I will see if I can find the list so you can do everything they did (less the starter if you decide to go that route).

The original T's blew out at 92K miles on mine, and were just replaced at 187K or so. Almost like clockwork.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:26 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

You just paid $3k to install a third set of tees on your 955 and you went with plastic again over metal?!
Old 08-28-2018, 06:42 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah - but since it was done at the dealer I don't think I had an option besides OEM?

Also in reality, the truck probably won't make it past this set of coolant T's anyway (270K?!), so why introduce a new, aftermarket part now?
Old 08-31-2018, 10:50 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Porsche greatly improved the newer, replacement Ts.... I believe it's now lined with a metal sleeve.

Quick Reply: Bad Day at Blackrock! CTT leaks, a LOT