Sponsored by:

2004 CTT - The beginning of my Porsche journey

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 05:09 PM
mspa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 CTT - The beginning of my Porsche journey

I've had a lot of cool cars, and recently sold a sweet M Roadster that was my favorite car so far in the last 40+ years. I needed something that was fun to drive in our snowy winters, comfortable on long trips, has enough space for hauling camping gear, and towing a travel trailer (next year). I was having a hard time finding a good first gen Cayenne S, and decided to post a "wanted" ad locally. Found a 2004 Cayenne Turbo, which I wasn't really wanting, and through the cours of an interesting journey with a couple other S cars not working out, got the thumbs up from my german mechanic, whose advice I have been able to trust over the years. This is my first Porsche.

My CTT has paperwork from the last 5 years and has had all scheduled maintenance completed on time, with necessary issues dealt with ... cardan was done a couple months ago. I've enjoyed the last few days driving, and am hoping I got a "good one" for the long haul. My plan is to live with the car over the next three months to see how things go, before considering some fun changes that will help the truck be a great fit for Central Oregon. For now, I'm hoping to get some advice on the few items I'd like to fix or replace/repair so that my rig is 100% functional. This is small potatoes.

First, here's a shot of my P!G in all it's splendor. I fell in love with it when I first saw this pic, provided by the seller.

2004 Cayenne Turbo

I could use some help just finding the part numbers. My plan is finding a salvage yard with the right color parts. Since my interior isn't perfect, nobody will be the wiser with used parts.

The rear console vents have some broken slats, and the left **** is busted. This was a family car, so I'm pretty sure little feet did this.

There is a pull out tray below the vent ...

The rear driver side seat belt adjustor at the top, is missing the plastic cover.

There is a missing plastic block that screws down on the top of the rear passenger side seat. [ UPDATE :: FIXED ... Thanks to the Sheriff for the part, and screws from dealer less than a buck each. ]

That's pretty much it. I know where to find the button for the sunglass compartment. I hear most of those are missing. The lever works fine. The button itself is gone.

The SKI BAG is a royal pain in the ****. There is a missing latch button on the front side that was busted from someone pushing the bag in too hard. I'm not confident that bag can ever be folded in a way to stay put. I'm open to advice on this, or just condolences ... I can see that there is a holding plate over the front side of the ski bag door. If I can find the driver side black latch, it will be an easy fix.

[ UPDATE :: FIXED ... Figured out how to properly fold along the width / seams, to get flat, then fold in sections equal to height of opening. You MUST use the belt to tighten around and hold compact. ]

I have two messed up areas on my headliner in the cargo area. I have been told that 3M Contact Cement very lightly applied is the answer. Believe it or not, this is the only tear and problem area for the entire headliner. On a 14 year car, I find that amazing!

There is an extra part, I can't figure out where it goes ... looks like a cable runs through it??? [ UPDATE :: turns out this piece attaches to the front left side of the driver seat rail. No longer a mystery! ]

There is some grimy areas on the ashtray compartment lids, and other areas. I'm debated taking to a detailer. I spent yesterday going through the entire vehicle, vacuuming and cleaning with my limited product, and being somewhat ****, my just detail the interior myself to avoid some ham fisted detailer the opportunity to break the delicate vent blades, or something else. Plus, it forces me to know my truck intimately.

One thing I want to undo, is uninstall the satellite receiver. I think the antennae is under the window holding strip on the passenger side, and can see I have to pull the nav/radio out to hopefully remove the remaining wiring. Any advice in this area will be appreciated. I don't want to go to a stereo shop and pay them $$$ to uninstall. I plan on putting an Alpine nav/radio with bluetooth so I can use my iPhone music library and do hands free. I know how to pull the radio, so I'm guessing, I might as well do all this at the same time. But again, I'm wondering if the power line for the satellite unit goes to the battery. I'm going to get the model number for it and see if I can find the install instructions. That may be all I need.

[ UPDATE :: paid local stereo shop $35 to remove all the wiring and mounting plate for this sat radio ]

Last edited by mspa; 08-26-2018 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Trying to get font styling to work
Old 08-06-2018, 10:56 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

The "extra part" gray guy - - there should be two, used to be located on the rear mounting base of your driver's seat - and someone removed them (correctly) in order to tilt the seat back to replace the battery. What they did incorrectly is to fail to replace them. It's not immediately obvious how they fasten down - but a clue for you is - the open end goes forward, and the U shaped clippie thingie - clips to the screw-thread for the seat. Play with them it will all become sorta clear. That will be from the driver's side rear area.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:44 PM
mspa
Intermediate

Clear as mud Hopefully, they put the other one on and just forgot this one. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2018, 04:28 PM
mspa
Intermediate

I'm glad you pointed me to the underside of the driver seat. I found more garbage under there that is all clean now.

What I did find is that the short plastic piece goes on the front of the driver seat tracks, and there is a longer version on the backside. What I have now, is front and back on the outside track. However, now it would appear that I am missing the front/back pieces on the console side of the driver seat. No big deal, but I'm sure if I find a salvage yard with the right color, should be easy.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:58 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

It looks great. Welcome to the list.

On the cargo area "headliner," before trying to repair those cuts, you might want to check if your rear hatch struts are worn out. If they are (i.e., they can't hold the rear hatch up when you open it), you'll end up removing those panels as part of the strut replacement, so it will be easier to repair / swap them at that time.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:02 PM
mspa
Intermediate

Thanks!

Good idea. My hatch struts are at about 80% ... I like your idea of swapping them if I can find a donor vehicle somewhere. Grey can't be too hard to find.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:49 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Old 08-10-2018, 02:25 PM
mspa
Intermediate

Thanks Stringbag! Wow, 631 pages ... some fun reading. I appreciate that. It seems that most parts schematics I find from dealers around the country, that some of the parts I want, are so small that they aren't available, and don't have a part number. This should help me. I'm just happy I don't have major issues to deal with.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:36 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

You are welcome! Some trim parts are surprisingly cheap from the main dealer. Always worth giving them a call.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:39 PM
mspa
Intermediate

That's a good word. The dealer in town is only a few blocks from my house.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:20 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great looking CTT! I love the white and those 20" rims are nice.
If you're looking for fun in the snow, try and find a set of 18" rims and put some BF Goodrich AT on them.
Edit: Found a pic in the snow.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jeanmarcboilard; 08-12-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:08 AM
SheriffShaner111
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mspa
There is a missing plastic block that screws down on the top of the rear passenger side seat.

i have an extra piece that goes here I will happily give you. Just PM me where to send it.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Nice looking CTT. That white is stunning. Welcome to the club.

I also used to have a '99 M Coupe and the CTT is much faster (at least in a straightish line). It still amazes me how good these old CTTs drive. The BMW was a fun car, but it's been sold for other toys.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:53 AM
mspa
Intermediate

Jean, those are 22's on there, and I have an extra set of 20's with winter tires. My plan is to sell the 22's and get some 18/19's to put BFG's or Falken Wildpeaks ... then put summer tires on the 20's. A bit of a merry go round, but the 22's are bigger than I want, and since I'm in Bend, where I'll be driving in mixed terrain, it makes more sense. But we'll see. Car journeys can take you in unexpected directions.

Thanks Sheriff, I'll pm you!

Brainz, I figured I couldn't be the only one.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:38 PM
SheriffShaner111
Intermediate

Is this right?

Quick Reply: 2004 CTT - The beginning of my Porsche journey