Sponsored by:

Help! "Brake Pad Workshop" warning won't clear

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:48 AM
Richard74
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! "Brake Pad Workshop" warning won't clear

Cayenne S 2006: "Brake Pad Workshop" warning won't clear and my MOT is due!!

I have at least 5mm on every brake pad (verified by garage), so not wanting to change them so soon (for both environmental and economic reasons), I cut then stripped back the sensor wires at the connector behind each wheel, and twisted them together, hopefully making one continuous loop. I understand these are wired in series, in a 'normally closed' position, with the sensors breaking the circuit (to earth?) when the pads get low. Have I got this right?

So if that's correct, the ECU should now assume all pads are fine, and clear the warning message? Is there another way to do this (e.g. a jumper somewhere near the ECU) or does it need a diagnostic tool to clear the warning? I read elsewhere that it should clear automatically once old sensors are replaced, or the circuit made complete in similar fashion to what I've done.

Please help as my MOT is due, and the brake warning light has recently become a test failure!!!!
Old 07-20-2018, 11:58 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

I have mine jumped exactly the same and no issues. Take it for a quick drive and see if it clears or go back over your work.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:03 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

The warning should clear automatically as soon as the circuit is completed. Make sure you don't have a loose connection between the sensor pigtails and main harness. I run one sensor per axle and have the other side shorted. This gives me the most peace of mind between sensor headaches and safety.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:08 PM
Richard74
Intermediate

Thanks for confirming I had the theory right!!

Must be a problem somewhere then. I'll just have to go back over each wheel one at a time... unless anyone knows a quick way to jump it at the ECU or on the loom/a connector somewhere??
Old 07-20-2018, 02:37 PM
Richard74
Intermediate

Had another thought... "Service Due" comes up as well, because its annual service is indeed due. Might it be that the "Brake Pads Workshop" warning won't clear until the service is cleared off??
Old 07-20-2018, 02:55 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Unrelated.
I would stay @ the wheel area and not get creative.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:08 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard74
...unless anyone knows a quick way to jump it at the ECU or on the loom/a connector somewhere??
I doubt you will find anyone who would suggest such a thing.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:41 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I have been told by a good friend who is a Porsche mechanic that once the brake pad sensors are triggered, a dealer computer or Durametric is the only thing that will clear it. I always changed my brake pads before the sensors would be triggered in fear of bringing the car to the dealer.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:51 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

OP.... you got a nicked wire somewhere. Find it...
Old 07-23-2018, 07:02 AM
Richard74
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dan87951
I have been told by a good friend who is a Porsche mechanic that once the brake pad sensors are triggered, a dealer computer or Durametric is the only thing that will clear it. I always changed my brake pads before the sensors would be triggered in fear of bringing the car to the dealer.
Really? That seems to contradict with what others have said about the warning turning off as soon as the circuit is complete
Old 07-23-2018, 07:12 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Really? That seems to contradict with what others have said about the warning turning off as soon as the circuit is complete
That is what he told me.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:38 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

His Porsche mechanic friend is wrong. I changed my pads out about 2 weeks ago with new sensors and the warning went away immediately. Nothing to reset and no putting miles on it waiting for it to clear.

I would start with the plastic sensor plug connectors at each wheel. When plugging new sensors in, you have to hear that connector CLICK. All four of mine were a pain in the *** to deal with. Last person to change your pads may not have seated one fully. Spraying each connector with DeOxit before snapping back together wouldn't hurt either.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:10 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 19psi
His Porsche mechanic friend is wrong. I changed my pads out about 2 weeks ago with new sensors and the warning went away immediately. Nothing to reset and no putting miles on it waiting for it to clear.

I would start with the plastic sensor plug connectors at each wheel. When plugging new sensors in, you have to hear that connector CLICK. All four of mine were a pain in the *** to deal with. Last person to change your pads may not have seated one fully. Spraying each connector with DeOxit before snapping back together wouldn't hurt either.
What year is your Cayenne? Porsche does make you bring the car to the dealer in order to reset the oil light so having them reset the brake pad sensor is not out of line with their MO. A search on the internet reveals others have replaced their pad sensors as well and yet the light remains. Maybe this model year specific? Kind of like how early Cayennes can reset their service message and later years cannot.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:07 AM
Richard74
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 19psi

Thanks. Going to go back around all 4 again
Old 07-23-2018, 11:34 AM
Richard74
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dan87951
What year is your Cayenne? Porsche does make you bring the car to the dealer in order to reset the oil light so having them reset the brake pad sensor is not out of line with their MO. A search on the internet reveals others have replaced their pad sensors as well and yet the light remains. Maybe this model year specific? Kind of like how early Cayennes can reset their service message and later years cannot.
June 2006

Quick Reply: Help! "Brake Pad Workshop" warning won't clear