Sponsored by:

Denson 500S BT install problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 02:48 PM
SeanJohn5
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denson 500S BT install problems

I'm brand new to the forum so forgive me if my forum etiquette is not up to par, I rarely post anywhere...

I attempted to install my Dension 500s BT in my 2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo with Nav, Bose but no telephone...

On my first attempt, I didn't get far, right off the bat I needed to purchase an additional adapter after finding out that the cables on my Cayenne were different than the ones provided in the kit.

After getting all my new adapters together to get the thing to work, the Dension worked intermittently, where it would work until it sat for more than 5 minutes or so or until I locked the car. after this time, it would read "NO CD CHANGER" or would freeze the head unit completely until a hard reset was performed I also needed to completely disconnect and reconnect the Dension. when it did work, all the features worked fine.

I updated the firmware thinking that it could be the problem, it worked for one night and now the unit will not work at all.

I've tried interrupting the MOST loop at the amplifier, CD changer, and the back of the head unit all yielding the same results. As it sits right now, the unit gets power (blue light comes on) but the head unit will read "NO CD", occasionally it will read "NO AMPLIFIER OR CD CHANGER" or the PCM will refuse to start up at all. I've made sure all my connections are good and are facing the right direction and the light passes through all the right spots... I've tried the 12v from the power sockets in the trunk area and under the glove box. If I revert everything back to stock, everything works fine.

I've tried to contact Dension but I'm out of ideas. I'm several hundreds of dollars into this project, this BS is the kind of stuff I expect from a 50 dollar thing from eBay.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2018, 02:50 PM
SeanJohn5
6th Gear

alternatively, if anyone has any other suggestions just to get AUX input working, let me know

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:03 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Sean,

Have you had the dealer enable the CD changer mode?

I believe that even if you do not have CD changer, the mode needs to be enabled. Also you may need to add a loop in the wiring back in the rear where the CD changer would normally be.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:55 PM
Zakowsky
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

It could also be a bad connection in the optic fiber path, or most likely in the Dension unit itself is causing an intermittent break in the circuit if things were fine before. Can you send it back to Dension? Those things are ridiculously expensive for what they are…

As far as another strategy for AUX in, this I have tried at length. I bought a second PCM 2.0 unit (which is probably what you have) and went over every solder point on the board looking for a stereo in point. Didn't make sense to me that it had to be mono. But what dawned on me is that I don't think it is a stereo FM tuner! Which explains why you can't tap in anywhere with both channels. The CD data also seems to go directly into the MOST system digital, so I couldn't find an input that way either. I did manage to wire an AUX lead in, but as many others have noted it is in mono and the frequency response is worse than a phone. Sounded like garbage. But I took pictures of it all if anyone else is trying this.

So I have a $300 Android unit on order from China, and I bought their $100 MOST adapter for fun to try out, but I will probably remove the BOSE amp and put in a JL Audio 5 channel amp, which should allow me to deal with the low impedance speakers and tune them a bit.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:13 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

Pack it in and head to the stereo shop
Old 07-05-2018, 09:41 PM
SeanJohn5
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 95_993
Sean,

Have you had the dealer enable the CD changer mode?

I believe that even if you do not have CD changer, the mode needs to be enabled. Also you may need to add a loop in the wiring back in the rear where the CD changer would normally be.
I took the system back out and installed it up front from scratch, I spent the afternoon getting the CD changer out; from there I made a loop with an optical "connector" with the two cables that were in there and it appears to be working so far... Thanks so much for the help!! I will keep you updated if it works through until tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:45 PM
SeanJohn5
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Zakowsky
It could also be a bad connection in the optic fiber path, or most likely in the Dension unit itself is causing an intermittent break in the circuit if things were fine before. Can you send it back to Dension? Those things are ridiculously expensive for what they are…

As far as another strategy for AUX in, this I have tried at length. I bought a second PCM 2.0 unit (which is probably what you have) and went over every solder point on the board looking for a stereo in point. Didn't make sense to me that it had to be mono. But what dawned on me is that I don't think it is a stereo FM tuner! Which explains why you can't tap in anywhere with both channels. The CD data also seems to go directly into the MOST system digital, so I couldn't find an input that way either. I did manage to wire an AUX lead in, but as many others have noted it is in mono and the frequency response is worse than a phone. Sounded like garbage. But I took pictures of it all if anyone else is trying this.

So I have a $300 Android unit on order from China, and I bought their $100 MOST adapter for fun to try out, but I will probably remove the BOSE amp and put in a JL Audio 5 channel amp, which should allow me to deal with the low impedance speakers and tune them a bit.
that's still pretty clever that you were able to get an AUX-in that way! I'm interested to see how that android unit performs, they sell them for my e46 m3 as well and I was always curious. If this set-up I have now stops working for whatever reason I'd like to get one for the cayenne. Do they look relatively stock? I don't like the idea of putting in an aftermarket double din, it looked okay in my 06 STI but I think they look awkward in anything that requires a "dash kit"
Old 07-05-2018, 10:27 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanJohn5
I took the system back out and installed it up front from scratch, I spent the afternoon getting the CD changer out; from there I made a loop with an optical "connector" with the two cables that were in there and it appears to be working so far... Thanks so much for the help!! I will keep you updated if it works through until tomorrow.
Awesome! I've had mine for about 6 wks and really like it. It's been working well with steaming BT audio and all controls on the steering wheel work great. Every now and then I have to switch the source to BT audio as it defaults back to the aux input. Google maps/Waze instructions come in nicely over music as needed.

Quick Reply: Denson 500S BT install problems