1st gen Cayenne vs 4th gen 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 06:42 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
LOL Nice and so true...

... and I guess why I have a Hammerhead equipped Malibu LSV and a Cayenne Turbo S

Nice! I am shocked you don't have the new one yet with the surf gates! haha What kind of riding are you into?
Old 07-09-2018, 07:02 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
Nice! I am shocked you don't have the new one yet with the surf gates! haha What kind of riding are you into?
No need, they dont use it for riding
Just quick summer yellowfin runs 20 miles out
Old 07-09-2018, 07:21 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,621 Likes on 4,209 Posts

Can't afford the new ones and I actually prefer the way this 06 drives and handles to the new larger hull designs from the major manufacturers - Malibu, Supra, MasterCraft, etc I've ridden behind the newer generation boats and the wakes with the surf gates are superb for surfing, but I actually prefer mine for wakeboarding - I have the MLS 4-tank ballast system and the power wedge (not the auto-adjusting floating wedge) and with a few people in the boat, I can create a wake almost up to my waist that has perfect shape with a nice kicker lip at the top. For surfing, I suction cup onto the side a Mission Delta to kick the stern over, which does the same thing as the Surf-Gate. My boat handles like a sports car compared to the new ones - that feel very isolated and numb to me, but maybe it's just me. I'll be keeping this one for another 12 years I hope.

As far as riding ... my wife slaloms and surfs, I slalom, wakeboard, and surf, and the kids wakeboard, surf, and do extreme tubing on a monster Radar tube (with me trying to throw them off from behind the wheel - I usually win, but not always).

Slalom

Getting some air off the wake

Mid-360

Backwards edge slide

Daughter flipped totally vertical while tubing - actually stayed on

Neighbor who owns the Supra dealership in town flipping over my son and giving a high-5 on the way by (I have a better pic but can't find it) - he's unbelievable. We did this photo session where he flipped over him literally 25 times from both sides to try and get the right shot, and didn't fall or miss a take-off - oh to be 22 again.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:07 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

That sounds very similar to us. Those are incredible pictures. Some of them belong in a magazine! I can't say I disagree with you about the direction they have taken with advancing the hull tech. I appreciate the more analog feeling and heavier hull of my older wakeboat as well. Also, the new touchscreens drive me a bit crazy. Whoever thought it was an improvement to control radio volume on a bouncing boat via touchscreen is a fool and it seems they are all headed that way. Bring back the volume ****!!!! Also, I did notice this past weekend while driving a new boat with surf gates that they catch the water and make it throw a rooster tail when power turning at speed. Kind of cool looking, but not ideal either. The one cool thing about the surf gates is that you can quickly swap the wave from side to side while riding. I have taken up foilboarding this Summer and it has been a heck of a learning curve. I think I am through most of the painful crashes finally. Can't say any other water toy has made me feel like such a complete rookie. I highly recommend it if you are up for a new challenge! It really feels like flying.

Last edited by nodoors; 07-10-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:26 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,621 Likes on 4,209 Posts

I have taken up foilboarding this Summer and it has been a heck of a learning curve. I think I am through most of the painful crashes finally. Can't say any other water toy has made me feel like such a complete rookie. I highly recommend it if you are up for a new challenge! It really feels like flying.
Thanks.

I tried foilboarding once on a neighbor's and couldn't agree more about the learning curve. I think my first attempt out of the 15 was my best, but still no good. Lean too far back and come leaping out of the water, lean too far forward and the board smashes into the surface of the water, loose your balance to the left and initiate left turn, over correct to the right, initiate right turn, lean back and come flying out of the water again - LOL.

Nice thing about the foil though is it doesn't matter how choppy it is since you're contact point is under the surface of the water, so something to do when it's choppy, similar to surfing, but even smoother.

​​​​​​​One thing that has kept us from pursuing it further is the size of the device and challenges with storing it on the boat with the other gear - probably need to do a dedicated session, then come back to the dock and change equipment.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:49 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petza914
Thanks.

I tried foilboarding once on a neighbor's and couldn't agree more about the learning curve. I think my first attempt out of the 15 was my best, but still no good. Lean too far back and come leaping out of the water, lean too far forward and the board smashes into the surface of the water, loose your balance to the left and initiate left turn, over correct to the right, initiate right turn, lean back and come flying out of the water again - LOL.

Nice thing about the foil though is it doesn't matter how choppy it is since you're contact point is under the surface of the water, so something to do when it's choppy, similar to surfing, but even smoother.

One thing that has kept us from pursuing it further is the size of the device and challenges with storing it on the boat with the other gear - probably need to do a dedicated session, then come back to the dock and change equipment.
Yes, that is a bit of an issue. I have tried it in three different board racks with the mast pointing to the sky. It did well in two, but on one it rotated the whole thing forward 100 degrees when the driver chopped the throttle hard into a wave and the wing smacked the gunwale and windshield trim. It feels a bit dangerous having sharp fins flopping around inside the boat and is too much work to disassemble between every ride. We have started resorting to leaving it on the dock with a few towels draped over it and hoping there are no sticky fingers in the area.

Quick Reply: 1st gen Cayenne vs 4th gen 4Runner