Sponsored by:

Cayenne TT Drivability Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 12:12 AM
quest
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne TT Drivability Problems

I am frustrated with my TT. Took it to the dealer for the update for the surging problem, as well documented in this forum. Now, the transmission seems to "hunt" for gears, often times shifting up two gears at a time, or downshifting the same way. Additionally, when in 3rd gear, the trans will not shift down to 2nd (for acceleration) below 3,000 RPM's, or above appx. 4,000 RPM's. Then when it does shift into second, the engine will easily turn up to redline and not seem to shift up to third, even when I let off the throttle. it just hangs there.
are these characteristics of the vehicle, or is there a potential programming issue with the shift points and "character" of the driveline. Also, is this a "learning" driveline that adapts to the nature of the driving style?
Appreciate any input or experiences before I try to get this resolved at the dealer.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:21 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It is not right they need to carry out the Tiptronic Kickdown fix and the DME remap as a minimum.

what does your invoice say they did ?
Old 01-09-2004, 09:13 AM
DanP
Instructor

>>Then when it does shift into second, the engine will easily turn up to redline and not seem to shift up to third, even when I let off the throttle.

I'm pretty sure that part is intended behaviour when you are driving the car hard, and I think it works very well.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:14 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Agree Dan but do you thinks its just a bit confused also with the other things described ?
Old 01-09-2004, 10:44 AM
sporters78
Instructor

you know you could just throw in some bcm airfilters, gaic chip and catby-pass pipes. it will just run great then.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:54 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

There is also a SW update for downshifting.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:28 PM
DanP
Instructor

Originally posted by mudman2
Agree Dan but do you thinks its just a bit confused also with the other things described ?
The "hunting" does sound strange, I'd probably have that checked.

But to be frank I have been driving almost exclusively in M mode for the last few months...
Old 01-09-2004, 07:32 PM
quest
Track Day

After driving the vehicle hard, today, it is my conclusion that the character of the trans trying to find gears, etc is a function of "learned" driving behavior. The dealership told me that the transmission (as well as Audi) are adaptive. In that I have spent much of the first 2000 miles babying the vehicle, I guess I taught it to "underperform", resulting in the behavior as I described. After driving it hard today, the vehicle seems to shift more normally, and is quite responsive. Maybe I "fixed" my own problem! If so, the only downside is that I used a hell of a lot of gas (11mpg) proving that I can retrain the performance. But the result should be good. By the way, I have put EVO diverters on the vehicle, and if I keep the vehicle, an EVO DME mod will be forthcoming. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:59 AM
rjklein
Intermediate

Default Re: Cayenne TT Drivability Problems

Originally posted by quest
I am frustrated with my TT. Took it to the dealer for the update for the surging problem, as well documented in this forum. Now, the transmission seems to "hunt" for gears, often times shifting up two gears at a time, or downshifting the same way. Additionally, when in 3rd gear, the trans will not shift down to 2nd (for acceleration) below 3,000 RPM's, or above appx. 4,000 RPM's. Then when it does shift into second, the engine will easily turn up to redline and not seem to shift up to third, even when I let off the throttle. it just hangs there.
are these characteristics of the vehicle, or is there a potential programming issue with the shift points and "character" of the driveline. Also, is this a "learning" driveline that adapts to the nature of the driving style?
Appreciate any input or experiences before I try to get this resolved at the dealer.
A friend of mine picked up a great deal on a Cyanne TT for this same reason. The owner of the car was so frustrated with the way that it drove he decided to sell the car. I fault the dealer in this case because my friend took the car to the dealer, and demanded to get all the updates on the car, and now it drives perfectly.

I am not sure about product liability, or how many complaints they have to have to issue a recall, but be patient the Cyanne's are awsome cars. But like every new car they have some issues.

Rob

Quick Reply: Cayenne TT Drivability Problems