Sponsored by:

Clear bra and mud guards?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 01:54 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clear bra and mud guards?

Any of you have a clear bra on your Cayenne?
What did you guys pay to have it done.

Is it also possible to clear bra the lights and driving lights?

Also, do any of you have the Porsche splash guards? Did you install them yourself or do they require the dealer to install them?

Do any of you have a pic of what they look like on the car?

Thanks

Andre
Old 01-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I had stongard applied to my S after delivery. The cost was roughly 1k, but I had a ton of "custom" sections installed. By custom I mean sections that the tailored for me out of raw 3m material.

To answer your question regarding the lights, if you buy the light kit it covers both.

As for mud gaurds, I chose to use custom stongard sections to cover and protect that areas that mud gaurds utilize.

I have a great installer in central NJ, their work is top notch!
Old 01-05-2004, 05:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have both the 3M/clear bra and the Porsche Tequipment mudguards.
I paid ~$400 for the 3M install (full front + front 1/3 of hood).

I paid ~$70 for the Xpel headlight protection film, as my installer preferrred it to the 3M film approach. It is much,much thicker than the 3M film, invisible, and they offer a $1000 replacement warranty if a light protected by Xpel is damaged/broken by road debris thru the film. I ordered them over the web from Xpel directly. Shipped the same day.

The Porsche mudguards are well designed, fit very well and work nice in the snow. They were installed by the dealer at delivery. Can't remember exact parts cost. Install is very straight forward.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:37 AM
Vino
Racer

Thanks guys.

With the crazy front end of the Cayenne I figured the total for the clear bra with lights would be between $500 to $1000. I just wanted to see how happy some of you were with the install and if the light covers made the lights look foggy.

The splash guards are a must here as driving to the ski areas on some of these roads with rocks and chlorinated de-icing chemicals can kill the finish.
It's good to see you are happy with them as I will probably order the set of four.

Thanks again for the helpful reply.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:38 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

We have installed the 3M clear guard on probably 3/4 of the Cayennes we've delivered. We charge our customers about $900CDN to do it. For that price, they'll get 24" film covering the front bumper (one piece, practically invisible), 18" coverage of the lower part of the hood, and the area surrounding the headlights. Basically measure 18" up the hood, then draw a line across from side to side. Everything below that line is covered. We also include the thicker film on the headlights and driving lights.

With the amount of sand and grit they use on the roads here in the winter, the film is a must have.

I've attached a few pics of the mudflaps. Personally, I think they're ugly, but they provide good coverage, and they've been popular with our customers.

Old 01-06-2004, 01:38 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

Rear mudflap closeup.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

Closeup of the front mudflap.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Wicked Wagon: Who is your clearguard installer in central NJ? Thanks
Old 01-11-2004, 04:44 PM
ruacop2
6th Gear

Who is your clearguard installer in central NJ?
If you are looking for an installer in NJ try Lee Berrebi. He is up north in NJ, but does awesome work and tints cars as well. The full kit is only $350 so I am sure even with the tint you will be under that $1G mark.

His number is 973-477-6717. Feel free to call him.

He uses kits from here www.rockblocker.com
Old 01-11-2004, 04:46 PM
ruacop2
6th Gear

Andre,

Yes you can get the headlight and fog light protection from Here They run $59.95 for the set. The Full kit runs $350.00 for the hood, fenders, mirrors and the entire front bumper from tire to tire.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:27 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

I'm eventually getting a 3M paint protection kit as well as headlight protection kit, but would recommend the additional use of a Colgan Bra for the front and sideview mirrors for extra protection during long highway trips. I use these on my 993 which also has an Invicashield kit installed - including headlight kit and this works better than either alone!

Old 01-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Vino
Racer

Great pics!

OK, talked to a clear bra installer today, all I have to say is take a look at some of the work before you get it done. I have found a "mobile" clear bra installer that is super pofessional and told me some tricks he uses.

It does not seem to popular to get the pre cut clear bra as they like to get the most flexibility out of the material as possible.
The headlight/driving light film protection seems to be the only area they like the pre cut film.

Also, I discussed the issue about cutting the bra on the car considering the risk for damage to the paint. Apparently the installer told me he will cut the film while it is on the car but lift the film, fold to make a crease, and cut it while it is lifted so no damage will occur. Also, he seemed to be a big supporter of 3m products....

I do find it to be cheaper protection than painting the bumper and hood and getting my lights destroyed. It is too much of a risk here in Colorado during the winter and most of the year with wind and people cutting in front of you with pretty much no chance to save the car.

I will also consider the bra, thanks for the pointer.

Andre

Quick Reply: Clear bra and mud guards?