Sponsored by:

Super squeaky brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 02:57 PM
Twintipin13
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Super squeaky brakes

So my CTT had new brakes and rotors installed right before I bought it. The stopping power of these things is amazing but wow are they loud/squeaky/painfully high pitched at time. Any suggestions to reduce or remove the high pitched and squeaky break noise?
Old 06-14-2018, 03:24 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

One temporary solution which worked for me was to be sure to rinse out all the brake dust any time I washed it. Just direct a stream of water at the calipers the best you can and you'll see all the extra brake dust come flooding out. Try to do both the inside and outside when rinsing. This would solve the noise problem for a couple of weeks.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:36 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Depends on which pads they used. Some of them are pretty squeaky SOB's.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:40 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

The only pads that should make any noise are track compound pads. Any street pads that make noise were installed incorrectly. You need to pull the pads back out and apply brake pad anti-squeal paste to the backs of them. Either Permatex or CRC will work - this is not brake grease, it's anti-squeal, which is different.

What makes the noise is the rotor causing oscillation of the pad in the caliper and the noise emanates from the back of the pad and the caliper pistons, not from the front of the pad on the rotor surface. The directions on the product say to apply it and then let it cure before reassembly, but what actually works better is this.

Once you've cleaned everything with brake cleaner on both sides, apply the paste and immediately put the pads back into the calipers, put the calipers back onto the wheel carriers, and torque the bolts down. Once both sides are properly back together, push on the brake pedal hard to force the caliper pistons into the paste and it will then lightly bond the pistons to the backs of the pads. This is what absorbs the oscillation and makes the brakes silent. Using this technique you have to work on only one axle at a time as you can't push on the pedal with one set being disassembled or your force the caliper pistons out of the calipers and have a real mess on your hands. For example, leave the fronts assembled and do the rears, then push on the pedal. Then take the fronts apart and do the fronts, then push on the pedal. While things are apart, clean the rotor surfaces with brake cleaner spray and wipe them down really good.

Once you have all 4 corners put back together, take the car out and do a pad to rotor bedding procedure. This is a series of progressively harder stops from faster speeds without ever coming to a complete stop (i.e. 45 to 20 with light pressure, then 50 to 10 with light pressure, then 60 to 10 with a bit more pressure, then 60 to 10 with even more pressure, and one more 60 to 10 with almost full pressure - yes, you will smell brakes. Then you need to drive around for a few miles to allow the brakes to cool back down before parking the car. This process transfers pad material to the surface of the rotor on a microscopic level and what gives your brakes that good initial bite when you first hit the pedal is the pad material to pad material contact between the face of the pads and the surface of the rotor.

I've used this technique on probably 20 brake jobs over the years and have never had noisy brakes on any of my P-cars or other cars. Let us know how you make out.

Quick Reply: Super squeaky brakes