Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket diff locker for 957 2008 GTS ** OFFROAD **

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 10:08 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Nobody makes one there is no market not gonna happen.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:28 AM
h_____
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep no standard fitment. The options seem to be what you've suggested....
1. buy a kit and take apart and work out how to fit
2. retro fit all the original gear from a car with front and rear factory diffs. Find out a way to manually activate it, as not easy to retro fit the electrics too.

I prefer option 2, although its clearly loads more expensive. Due to cost, this one is on the back burner....

If I had my time again, I'd buy a car with these options on, too far in and too expensive to swap now.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:47 AM
BigBearJoe
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Okay, I guess I'm maybe just stupid but… Why do you really need a rear locker on these cars? Doesn't the traction control automatically send power to the wheels with traction?
Old 11-19-2018, 08:50 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 351 Posts

I asked Quaife about this years ago, believe they said get 10 preorders and they'll make them...
Old 11-19-2018, 12:04 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBearJoe
Okay, I guess I'm maybe just stupid but… Why do you really need a rear locker on these cars? Doesn't the traction control automatically send power to the wheels with traction?
That's actually a great question. The "problem" with ABD (automatic brake differential) which uses braking intervention to stop a slipping wheel versus a locked differential, is that momentum is lost as well as more even drive force distribution to the ground. This increases the risk of getting stuck since enough force may not be able to be applied to the reduced number of wheels with traction to keep the vehicle moving.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:39 PM
BigBearJoe
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
That's actually a great question. The "problem" with ABD (automatic brake differential) which uses braking intervention to stop a slipping wheel versus a locked differential, is that momentum is lost as well as more even drive force distribution to the ground. This increases the risk of getting stuck since enough force may not be able to be applied to the reduced number of wheels with traction to keep the vehicle moving.
Okay, I can see where that would make sense if you're running around in the dunes or snow or mud where you need some momentum. If you're doing low speed rock crawling would a locking rear differential be beneficial over traction control?
Old 11-19-2018, 04:35 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBearJoe
Okay, I can see where that would make sense if you're running around in the dunes or snow or mud where you need some momentum. If you're doing low speed rock crawling would a locking rear differential be beneficial over traction control?
Yes, on any loose surface there is a definite benefit to locking differentials, especially going slow over rocks - it's not just for maintaining momentum, but trying to gain it, too (moving from a stop). It comes down to that the vehicle needs to exert a certain force to move forward; if the ground cannot exert enough force against 1 tire, or 2, or 3 to get moving, then you're stuck. But if you have 3 tires to divide this force up with the ground below (in the case of center and rear differential locks + ABD), you have a far better chance you can actually move OR continue to move. If you have no locking at all and just ABD and all wheels are on a low traction surface (including rocks!), theoretically the PTM will try to help by routing power to potentially 1 wheel; but if the ground below is rocky and loose, or muddy and slippery, or sandy and slippery, it will not be able to exert enough force against the surface below just 1 tire to get moving. Now you're stuck! Locking differentials permits distribution of force to more tires (potentially 3 with the rear locking option, 2 without). That means less chance to get stuck. The locked differentials prevent or reduce the reaction of the ABD to traction loss, since the traction loss event may not occur at all with the locked differential.

There are also stability benefits when going down loose surfaces with a locked rear and center differential; similar to the effects of LSD's on race cars under braking.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:57 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Yes, on any loose surface there is a definite benefit to locking differentials
Except for ice... if you regularly drive on ice just remember that a locked, front diff can cause a loss of control when turning.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket diff locker for 957 2008 GTS ** OFFROAD **