Sponsored by:

957 OBDII code and Torque Lite app

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 06:28 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 957 OBDII code and Torque Lite app

I either have a stubborn code, an actual real problem, or Torque Lite (free version of Torque) doesn't reset codes.

I have the P2404 evaporative emission system code so possibly the vacuum motor, but... in preparation for a state smog test (CA) I decided to check for codes. There is currently no check engine light and the vehicle will fail the smog test if the check engine light is on... automatic fail. So I have no CEL, but I do have the P2404 code logged. When I use Torque Lite to clear the code, the app does its thing for a bit and never comes back with a "complete code erase" message or "failed code erase" message... no message at all. If I check for codes again, still no CEL but P2404 still appears in Torque Lite.

This is my first time using Torque Lite so not sure if it is remembering the code internally or if the code is just not being erased. And presumably, with no CEL, even if there is an "old" code, I won't fail smog? Vehicle runs normally. I have had a CEL at random times (maybe 3 times a year) but they go away by themselves, one misfire that never happened again, and some of the P2404 codes... months apart when these appeared... 3-5 months apart. First time in 2 years that the codes mean anything (passing smog) and I can't tell if I've erased the codes or not. I did restart the phone and restarted the Cayenne with the P2404 code still showing up with no CEL.

Do I need the full version of Torque to delete codes? I've been to their website but can't find anything specific about this and YouTube videos of apparently earlier versions of the Torque app than the version I have do show confirmation messages coming back that I never see.

It might be worth mentioning that I had to force the Bluetooth OBDII reader into the OBDII socket near the parking brake pedal pretty firmly to get it to light-up correctly, several insertion attempts ended with no response from the OBDII reader, but once it was fully seated, it worked fine. Which makes me wonder... could there be one more pin in there somewhere that is needed for deleting codes that I still haven't gotten to make good contact in the OBDII socket? Is it normal/common for the OBDII socket on Cayennes to be "tight" like mine? Reluctant to push it in any harder than I already am. (fairly experienced with tools, repairs, etc... probably "intermediate" skills)
Old 06-09-2018, 04:37 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Well, passed the smog test... no CEL but P2404 code appears to still be in memory as a recorded code, though since it isn't active, no problem.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:19 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
I either have a stubborn code, an actual real problem, or Torque Lite (free version of Torque) doesn't reset codes.

I have the P2404 evaporative emission system code so possibly the vacuum motor, but... in preparation for a state smog test (CA) I decided to check for codes. There is currently no check engine light and the vehicle will fail the smog test if the check engine light is on... automatic fail. So I have no CEL, but I do have the P2404 code logged. When I use Torque Lite to clear the code, the app does its thing for a bit and never comes back with a "complete code erase" message or "failed code erase" message... no message at all. If I check for codes again, still no CEL but P2404 still appears in Torque Lite.

This is my first time using Torque Lite so not sure if it is remembering the code internally or if the code is just not being erased. And presumably, with no CEL, even if there is an "old" code, I won't fail smog? Vehicle runs normally. I have had a CEL at random times (maybe 3 times a year) but they go away by themselves, one misfire that never happened again, and some of the P2404 codes... months apart when these appeared... 3-5 months apart. First time in 2 years that the codes mean anything (passing smog) and I can't tell if I've erased the codes or not. I did restart the phone and restarted the Cayenne with the P2404 code still showing up with no CEL.

Do I need the full version of Torque to delete codes? I've been to their website but can't find anything specific about this and YouTube videos of apparently earlier versions of the Torque app than the version I have do show confirmation messages coming back that I never see.

It might be worth mentioning that I had to force the Bluetooth OBDII reader into the OBDII socket near the parking brake pedal pretty firmly to get it to light-up correctly, several insertion attempts ended with no response from the OBDII reader, but once it was fully seated, it worked fine. Which makes me wonder... could there be one more pin in there somewhere that is needed for deleting codes that I still haven't gotten to make good contact in the OBDII socket? Is it normal/common for the OBDII socket on Cayennes to be "tight" like mine? Reluctant to push it in any harder than I already am. (fairly experienced with tools, repairs, etc... probably "intermediate" skills)
No vacuum motor on the 957. You have a cam driven pump on the passenger side rear. Test with an external gauge, a good pump will read about 20"hg
Old 06-10-2018, 05:57 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

OK, thanks. I think I may have solved the mystery of the occasional P2404 codes... I removed the gas cap to see what condition the o-ring was in. It looks fine considering it's 10 years old with 92,000 CA miles. But I noticed the cap seems to be tight before it clicks. So I just screwed-in the gas cap until it seemed firm/snug but no clicking from the over-ride mechanism that prevents over tightening. I started up the Cayenne, ran a few errors, got the CEL an hour later or so, P2404 again. I then tightened the gas cap until there was half a turn of clicking of the cap. Drove around a bit more and used the Cayenne a few hours the next day... no P2404. Then I loosened the gas cap again and only tightened it until it seemed firm/snug with no clicking... got a CEL and P2404 within 20 minutes that time. Tightened gas cap again with half a turn of clicking after firm/snug and no more P2404. I suspect my wife's rare fillups followed by not clicking the cap tight may be the P2404 culprit... something about that last little bit of torque on the gas cap seemed to stop the presumed vacuum leak causing the P2404. Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: 957 OBDII code and Torque Lite app