Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deleting Secondary Air Injection (SAI)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 02:08 PM
gordan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deleting Secondary Air Injection (SAI)

Is there a blanking kit and/or DIY instructions available for this?
Old 07-21-2017, 01:45 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

You definitely don't want to do this "blind"--with all the monitoring and computer control of these engines, there could be repurcussions through the emissions control systems if this is done without knowing the potential issues. For example, turning off the SAI could make the exhaust temperature higher or lower affecting the performance of the catalytic converters and/or oxygen sensors. Or it could be done without any repurcussions at all... only someone with knowledge of the entire engine control system (from intake to exhaust tips) would know whether this is "safe" or not.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:34 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Is there a particular reason to want to do this?
Old 07-21-2017, 04:20 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by gordan
Is there a blanking kit and/or DIY instructions available for this?
You will have to make your own block off plates and if you do not want a check engine light you will have to have it coded out in the ecu. Be aware that readiness monitor for the sai will not show as ready in either case. Check your local emissions laws. IMO, there are no performance or reliability repercussions.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:19 AM
gordan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Is there a particular reason to want to do this?
The are several reasons I want to do this:

1) AFAICT, these don't do anything at all except for the first 60 seconds after a cold start. I can live with the catalytic converters taking an extra minute or so to reach the operating temperature, and by the time the cats warm up my fuelling has already switched over the LPG.

2) Engine bay clutter. They are one of the reasons why, for example, cam position sensors are so difficult to reach. More moving parts, more electrical components, more air hoses to perish and leak, all for at best questionable benefit.

3) IIRC, from about a year ago, these are on the same 5A fuse as the auxiliary water pump and the brake booster. So when a SAI pump fails short or starts to sieze up and draw too much current, you end up with a "Brake Booster Failure" warning on the dashboard. This then results in hours of chasing one's tail for those uninitiated in the insanity of the setup, looking for the problem in the wrong place.

Regarding the CEL, I guess I could start by just unplugging them and see if it comes up. IME on the CT, the engine has to be running _very_ poorly for the CEL to come on. I had a duff cam position sensor recently which made the engine misfire all over the place on 4 of the cylinders, and even that didn't trigger the CEL except when it was hunting between 400 and 1100 rpm at idle.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:29 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by gordan
The are several reasons I want to do this:

1) AFAICT, these don't do anything at all except for the first 60 seconds after a cold start. I can live with the catalytic converters taking an extra minute or so to reach the operating temperature, and by the time the cats warm up my fuelling has already switched over the LPG.

2) Engine bay clutter. They are one of the reasons why, for example, cam position sensors are so difficult to reach. More moving parts, more electrical components, more air hoses to perish and leak, all for at best questionable benefit.

3) IIRC, from about a year ago, these are on the same 5A fuse as the auxiliary water pump and the brake booster. So when a SAI pump fails short or starts to sieze up and draw too much current, you end up with a "Brake Booster Failure" warning on the dashboard. This then results in hours of chasing one's tail for those uninitiated in the insanity of the setup, looking for the problem in the wrong place.

Regarding the CEL, I guess I could start by just unplugging them and see if it comes up. IME on the CT, the engine has to be running _very_ poorly for the CEL to come on. I had a duff cam position sensor recently which made the engine misfire all over the place on 4 of the cylinders, and even that didn't trigger the CEL except when it was hunting between 400 and 1100 rpm at idle.
The sai pumps use a 40 amp fuse each.
You will get a check engine light and it won't be right away.
If your egr valves are sealing up tight you don't need block off plates.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:57 AM
gordan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
If your egr valves are sealing up tight you don't need block off plates.
Funny you should mention the EGR valves, they are the second item on my list of things to delete.
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (04-03-2024)
Old 05-28-2018, 07:38 PM
Medswami
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IT’S BEEN DONE MANY TIMES

Agreed but as usual we have the non-experts complicating things and causing panic. Yes your Porsche most likely has O2 sensors both upstream and downstream of the cat, but so what????

To successfully do a secondary air delete on a Porsche all you have to do is follow this THREE STEP PROCESS.

Step 1: Remove all secondary air components seen in this diagram:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...1&d=1380626070

Step 2: Use appropriate blockoff plates (this link is for 987 Cayman, Boxster, and 997 Carrera models, but you get the idea): https://m.ebay.com/itm/987-997-Porsche-911-Spec-Cayman-Secondary-Air-Injection-SAI-Block-Off-Plates/173307871619

Step 3: Take it to your local performance/tuning shop and have them tune out all the OBD stuff for the secondary air system. Tuning out the OBD error codes isn’t enough, so don’t forget to also tell them to tune the ECU to pass the readiness test for emissions.

And that’s it!

Last edited by Medswami; 05-28-2018 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Missed a word
Old 05-29-2018, 10:13 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Medswami
Agreed but as usual we have the non-experts complicating things and causing panic. Yes your Porsche most likely has O2 sensors both upstream and downstream of the cat, but so what????

To successfully do a secondary air delete on a Porsche all you have to do is follow this THREE STEP PROCESS.

Step 1: Remove all secondary air components seen in this diagram:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...1&d=1380626070

Step 2: Use appropriate blockoff plates (this link is for 987 Cayman, Boxster, and 997 Carrera models, but you get the idea): https://m.ebay.com/itm/987-997-Porsche-911-Spec-Cayman-Secondary-Air-Injection-SAI-Block-Off-Plates/173307871619

Step 3: Take it to your local performance/tuning shop and have them tune out all the OBD stuff for the secondary air system. Tuning out the OBD error codes isn’t enough, so don’t forget to also tell them to tune the ECU to pass the readiness test for emissions.

And that’s it!
I suspect step #3 is going to be the fly in the ointment. There are only a few "tuners" who even look at Cayenne tuning - and I suspect the coding required to get the OBD-II diagnostics to ignore the missing SAI systems won't be trivial. Unless they see a real market for doing that work - it will be very custom coding - which tends to be very expensive. Is the gain worth the expense of doing it? Guess that's up to the OP to decide.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:20 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

You'll get these codes:
P0492: Secondary Air Injection System Bank 2 - Value below lower limit value, test conditions are not-completed, fault is currently active and causing a DTC light

P0491: Secondary Air Injection System Bank 1 - Value below lower limit value, test conditions are not-completed, fault is currently active and causing a DTC light

I just removed the pumps and left the valves as the diagram posted above shows it is a whole manifold on the back of the engine you will have to remove. I have a Eurocharged tune and finally had them do a custom tune to code them out. I've never run the readiness tests to see if they are coded right as I don't need to do emissions where I license.

Quick Reply: Deleting Secondary Air Injection (SAI)