Sponsored by:

How bad is it, Doc?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 08:25 PM
Rod Croskery
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How bad is it, Doc?

This week I took my '04CS "Ruby" to a trusted cooling systems indy in Kingston, ON for an A.C. top-up. The previous one worked well last summer, but when the warm days arrived this spring, the cooling just wasn't there any more. The tech couldn't find any of the green dye they had injected last year. Next step involved removing the bumper cover and changing out the condenser. The bill would come to just over $1000 CDN. He called today for me to pick up the car. It is recharged, but there was nothing wrong with the condenser. He asked me to drive it for a couple of weeks, then they'll test the pressure again. If it's down, it means going after the evaporator.

How bad is this?
Old 05-10-2018, 09:22 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

I have several electronic detectors that can sense less than a ¼ oz leak a year. Your "mechanic" should have one and be able to pinpoint the leak without the use of dyes. The probe can go where eyes can't
Option #2
If it takes a year to leak down to poor performance level, just buy a can for $6 bucks and top it up every year yourself. A $1,000 repair will buy you 166 years worth of refrigerant.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:14 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Has the system been down to air? For long?

If so - it might very well need a new dryer assembly. Mine had similar symptoms - and I'd top it off in the spring and it would seem OK.. dealer checked for leaks with a sniffer - nothing found. The dryer had been exposed to air for a month or more 2 years ago when the engine was out. Replacing it was around $450 - luckily - the extended insurance policy I have on the car paid for almost all of that expense. Air is nice and COLD again,,
Old 05-11-2018, 12:08 AM
Rod Croskery
Instructor

Originally Posted by 19psi
Option #2
If it takes a year to leak down to poor performance level, just buy a can for $6 bucks and top it up every year yourself. A $1,000 repair will buy you 166 years worth of refrigerant.
If the guy's assumption is correct and it's leaking from the evaporator, is it safe to have my two-year-old grand-daughter in car?
Old 05-11-2018, 12:41 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Rod Croskery
If the guy's assumption is correct and it's leaking from the evaporator, is it safe to have my two-year-old grand-daughter in car?
The system doesn't have enough capacity to displace oxygen at dangerous levels in the cabin. As far as being toxic...look up the toxicity levels of 134a and that should alleviate any concerns you may have.
Now if the coil were to rupture and dump all the refrigerant at once while you have an exposed flame in the cabin (like in a bad accident) you'd have a major problem called phosgene gas.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:59 PM
Rod Croskery
Instructor

Has the system been down to air? For long?

Don:

To the best of my knowledge the car hasn't been apart, but there may have been repairs to fender-benders over the years in Vancouver. Next time I have it back to the shop I'll ask the guy about the dryer.
The bill came to $347 CDN, well south of the estimate, but he wants it back to test the pressure in three weeks.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:38 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

It's bad. The only thing I can be pretty sure of is that you should find a new mechanic. Seriously.

Hey pal, let me do this job for $1000 because I think it's what you need. Oops, wrong, will that be cash or credit?

There have got to be better professional mechanics out there. And diagnosis is almost always the most difficult part - that's where the good are separated from the bad.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:56 PM
Rod Croskery
Instructor

Pat's Radiator has been in operation for a long time in Kingston, ON. They specialize in air conditioning and cooling systems. The first local shop I tried was useless. So far Pat's have recharged Ruby's HVAC and treated me fairly. There are no Porsche mechanics in Kingston.

Quick Reply: How bad is it, Doc?