Considering a Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 07:24 PM
tdelarm
928 Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering a Cayenne

Went to the LA Auto show last night to research new SUV’s saving the Porsche display for last and I was totally blown away by the Cayenne. I really didn’t think I would be interested in it because seeing them on the streets from a distance I haven’t felt that “must have feeling” but last night I simply fell in love with the damn thing. The quality blows everything else I sat in away.

I know there is a ton of information here on the board that would probably answer every question I would ever have however...not having done the research yet my Q’s are this...

Overall...are you guys/gals happy with your Cayenne?

Are they selling at a premium?

Living in California what would be the best route to purchase one? Off a lot or by order?

Are any of you worried about resale/trade in value and has there been any talk regarding them holding value vs say the 911 series.

Thanks for any help and I will start researching the archives first chance I have.

The model I’m considering is the “S” model.

Tim Delarm
Old 01-03-2004, 09:22 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Tim, welcome.

There's a load of information here so read away.

Remember the users of this board are "rabid" owners freely expressing their views, but only a small % of the total ownership of Cayenne's.

Most "love" their trucks complete with first year "teething" troubles. I got mine in June and have 9800 miles of great fun so far, looking forward to many more.

Good Choice
Old 01-03-2004, 09:35 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want the best handling best performing all around SUV on the planet, the only thing to consider is the Cayenne. I have driven all the contenders including the ML55 AMG extensively, which my mother owns and nothing compares. The small bugs and gripes you may hear on the board are only interference in the big picture. They are becoming less and less with later production vehicles and should not sway your decision if you want the best...Cayenne Rox!!!
Old 01-04-2004, 06:10 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Big thumbs up for the pepper mobile!! Got 3k miles on it and man drives like a dream. Car feels so planted on the road-just solid!!! Yes there are quibbles(comfort sutff more then nething else) but man almighty it's all forgotten once I take it for a drive. Options: Get Air suspension-it rocks+vari-assist steering(great steerng feel with this option)!!!! and bixenons!!!!Regards. Mike
Old 01-04-2004, 07:00 PM
beemaze
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Considering a Cayenne

Originally posted by tdelarm
Went to the LA Auto show last night to research new SUV’s saving the Porsche display for last and I was totally blown away by the Cayenne. I really didn’t think I would be interested in it because seeing them on the streets from a distance I haven’t felt that “must have feeling” but last night I simply fell in love with the damn thing. The quality blows everything else I sat in away.

Overall...are you guys/gals happy with your Cayenne?

Are they selling at a premium?

Living in California what would be the best route to purchase one? Off a lot or by order?

Are any of you worried about resale/trade in value and has there been any talk regarding them holding value vs say the 911 series.

The model I’m considering is the “S” model.

Tim Delarm
1) The feeling you had at this years' LA Auto Show is the same feeling I had after last years auto show.

2) Quite happy with the Cayenne. Minor problems such as the rear hatch not closing properly (fixed), rear wiper nozzle drip(fixed), and the hesitation/lurching issue (kind of fixed) have not phased [sic] me. It's a pleasure to drive, especially on long trips. Holds plenty of passengers and equipment as intended.

3) In So. Cal. and elsewhere, the Cayennes are not selling at a premium. You should be able to get an S model at $6-$7k under sticker in So. Cal. Cayenne Turbo discounts are rare in So. Cal. Try McKenna in Norwalk for an S. I have 1st hand experience with this dealer. PM me if you need more specifics.

4) Ordering may be better especially if you want an "S" with the highly recommended PASM (air suspension). Finding an "S" on the lot with PASM is rare. We purchased off the lot last summer and got what we wanted.

5) I'm sure there has been plenty of talk about worse resale value for the Cayenne since it is not yet well-established in a market full of SUV's. Not a big concern for me since the Cayenne is/was a business expense.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Cay
Instructor

Default Re: Considering a Cayenne

Originally posted by tdelarm

Tim,

the times that a 911 holds the value like a bank is long over with the 996.
Not becouse 996 is bad but 150.000 996`s been build comparing to aproxm. 33.000 993`s - so a 911 is a mass product with all yes and no`s.
2 years old 996 cab loose 50% here - unthinkable in 911/964/993 times
but reality today.

Actually the Cayennes holds better value but this means nothing cuz its
not so long on the streets.

So just buy what you like - you will loose plenty of money by resale with
near any model. And yes, the Cayenne is cool but slowly I miss a 911 racer and will go for one again soon - but will keep the big one and get rid of our SL. So my experience is to replace a Benz with a Cayenne is great and you will be happy. If you owned hardcore 911s like RS, GT3 you will miss something with time and it will not satisfy you on the long run ...
Old 01-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

6K miles and love it. Purchased Sept. 04.

Get air suspension (PASM), its a must. The bad news, is it's been blocked out on S's for a while (TTs get priority where its standard). The PASM makes you forget you're towing (if you do). It also adjusts rocky rides much better than steel springs.

After initial small issues that have been fixed on newer models and orientation (like where is the lights switch); I & my bride absolutely love it.

It's solid & it rocks.........
Old 01-05-2004, 04:23 AM
tdelarm
928 Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the great info. This is all great stuff and will help me in my decision.

I’ve had a chance to speed read through a few Cayenne threads finally and so far I don’t see any deal breakers yet. The shaft vibration that has been briefly mentioned in other threads is about the only item so far that has my attention as one of my two pet peeves would be vibrations, the other squeaks so I’m going to research this vibe-thing a bit more but it doesn’t seem to be a common problem.

Great tip on the PASM thanks. Glad to hear I shouldn’t have to pay over premium as that wouldn’t work for me. I don’t mind ordering one but I don’t want to do the several months wait thing either.

I have a really nice low miles 928 S4 which I’ll keep so if I feel the need to be really really low to the ground that should give me my “low ride” fix but I do think the Cayenne would be the perfect replacement for my aging 10yr. old GMC Yukon. I’d feel naked without a SUV because I need to haul my photographic gear once in awhile for work plus occasional ski trip.

Now, seems, as I don’t like to part with my money, wonder if I should consider a lease or just buy it.

What’s all this I hear about some SUV tax break?
Old 01-05-2004, 01:11 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Well Tim-you could work with a P-car dealer and see if they can search other dealerships if they have the car with what you want in color+options and they can ship it to there(but also understand may not have the exact car you want unless your lucky). I did that and it worked out well. It was shipped from Arizona to California-took about 10 days. Regards. Mike
Old 01-06-2004, 01:10 AM
tdelarm
928 Addict
Rennlist Member

Good idea Mike...thanks!

Also, I've been going through the option list...quite long I might add. Two questions...

Any opinions on options that I should avoid or must have?

Opinions regarding tire size...18's vs say 20's?

Thanks again,
Tim
Old 01-06-2004, 01:06 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Don't get 19's because if your planning on going on snow there's no all season/snow tires available yet so you''ll have to get a second set of rims/tires for winter like me. 18's provide a better ride but 20's do look great but feel more of the road(good/bad) and I believe they do have all season tires for 20's. Can you provide a list of options so we can elaborate on them-there's quite abit of options for the pepper mobile : ). Regards. Mike
Old 01-06-2004, 01:38 PM
JeffES
Pro

Outstanding. I second the "PASM" w/ an S comments - it really makes the Cayenne, IMO. Discounts can be available, even on ordered units. Here (Mid Atlantic), S's with PASM are a bit rare, so if it's like that in your market, you may need to order. Good luck,
J

Quick Reply: Considering a Cayenne