Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble Starting - Brake Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 12:34 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Trouble Starting - Brake Switch?

Hi there. I'm having a problem that I don't think is unique, but a search of the forum hasn't uncovered a solution yet. Here are the facts of the case:
- 2008 Cayenne S with about 105,000 miles
- New battery about 9 months ago (just tested it, the battery is in good shape, reading 100% charged)
- Intermittently, we have trouble starting the car
- The starter will turn, but the motor won't catch
- We find that if we depress the brake pedal really hard, we can usually get the car to start

I'm wondering if there is a sensor on the brake pedal that let's the car know that the brake is down before starting. Has anyone had this issue before, or know how the brake pedal and starting sequence is related?

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2018, 12:49 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

IIRC (and it's been a while since I've owned a 955..) you must depress the brake pedal in order for the engine to even crank over. I know that's the case on the 958 (where you can turn the key to the starter position - and release it - then press the brake pedal and the car will start..)

I have heard of this problem before on the 955/957 series - but forget what the resolution was. An advanced search of the forum might just turn up an answer. FWIW - most vehicles now have two brake switches. One that actually functions and makes the brake lights go on, and a second one that tests to see if the first one is working. It could be a failure of either, but in that case I'd expect a cluster warning of some sort.
The following users liked this post:
horse (08-12-2022)
Old 04-24-2018, 10:09 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

If the brake switch isn't recognized, the display should tell you to depress brake pedal to start.

The starter will turn, but the motor won't catch
What does this mean?
The starter motor is spinning but the engine doesn't turn over? (bad bendix)
Starter motor is spinning and turning over the engine but the engine won't start?
Old 04-25-2018, 12:34 AM
LAPorscheGuy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the battery is good it is most likely your starter.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:25 PM
MtnDogGeoff
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

this was a common issue with vw's, in my old gti i replaced the switch 4 times each with an updated part number.... when you hit the brake, do the rear brake lights come on?

Quick Reply: Trouble Starting - Brake Switch?