Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From $118,865 to $9,000 in 12 years

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 11:14 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Played up? Complaints seem to pop up every few weeks spanning multiple forums and it all started over 10 years ago.
Are many of those people making it up? Or is it maybe just that pesky "lifter" issue? lol!

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/ct...550835151.html
https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/c...571219426.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/c...536503859.html
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/p...570898467.html

The 955/957 will eventually bottom out the same as a Land Rover Disco...and at least the 3 Amigos issues isn't a kiss of death like scored cylinders.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:58 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Bore scoring is definitely not played up. This is an issue that plagues many Porsche models across many years. It is okay if owners want to stick their head in the sand, but you can't deny the fact that it is a catastrophe and totals the vehicle if you are not a level 10 home mechanic. We will never know the true numbers, but it is becoming common enough that you absolutely can't say it is a rare problem. Shame on Porsche for sweeping it under the rug all these years. It is fascinating to me that they have been able to keep such brand loyalty and cult following with this type of garbage.

I think 19psi pretty much proved it right there judging by how many are currently for sale with 'lifter' ticking across the US! LOL I have yet to see someone post about actual lifter issues on these engines on the boards, but I have seen people such as lupo experience scored cylinders multiple times and he has no reason to make something like this up.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:43 PM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I didn’t say it doesn’t happen, but if you read these forums it makes you think you are driving a ticking time bomb that can blow any time. All of the Porsche mechanics I’ve spoken to at least out west say it’s a more rare and they haven’t see any catastrophic examples and this is from servicing numerous cayenne’s over 250k Miles.

im not going to stick my head in the sand, but I will keep happily motoring without extreme anxiety.

i do think it’s a shame porsche swept it under a rug like other possible common failure points, but what can you do other than not buy a car from them anymore.

sorry to threadjack, I hope the next owner of this tts enjoys the hell out of that car. It’s a maint ***** and could explode like any other Porsche, but it’s a helll of a package when it’s all working
Old 04-30-2018, 01:27 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

If you find the right buyer (and you know where you next car is coming from and its local) do a courtesy sale. If you live in a state where sales tax is discounted based on your trade in you can save a few bucks this way. Some dealers are cool with this some are not. Most all require a pre transaction inspection of your existing car (make sure the car u are selling on to its new owner is enough order to pass inspection etc) They need to prevent liability from their side.

Basically what you are doing is bringing your buyer in with you to the dealer who is selling you a car. You "trade" your car to the dealer for the price you agree with your buyer. Dealer turns around and sells the car to them at that set price you get your trade in tax credit and everyone walks away happy. It also helps eliminate people trying to run scams with fake checks etc. Most will not try that on an actual dealer versus a regular person.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:03 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jrandsu
I am interested in the manuals, PM me with a price.
Thanks
You don't have enough posts to allow me to PM you. PM me with an offer.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:17 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by spooltime
I'm looking at approaching the end of a beautiful time and experience with my 2006 Cayenne Turbo S. Original list price on it was $118,865. I bought it used back in 2013.
What did you pay?

They came back with an offer of $9,000. Simply wow.
What would you pay for a 137,000 mi Cayenne TS?

I checked out recent auction results at eBay and sadly, they pretty much confirmed the dismal value in the market of these vehicles.
Yes it's disappointing that our beloved Cayennes haven't held their values like a 993 but the supply/demand curve has spoken. Why do you feel the need for something different?
Old 05-03-2018, 11:42 AM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Just to close the circle on this thread, the new owner of my former CTTS flew in Friday, paid cash, and drove home with it. I was paid more than my CarMax offer, and he got a fair deal on a really well-maintained example of the breed. I had five excellent years of ownership and enjoyed it every time I drove it. A recent purchase of a newer replacement SUV for my wife freed up her existing one, which was both newer and had fewer miles than the CTTS. She strongly suggested I sell the CTTS, and having previously used up all of my accrued good will when I convinced her I needed a 996TT a few years ago, not selling the CTTS wasn't really a consideration for me.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:16 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Glad to hear it was a quick and easy sale for you. Was it someone from this board?
Old 05-03-2018, 07:16 PM
1999Aero911
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
Glad to hear it was a quick and easy sale for you. Was it someone from this board?
Yes it was.

Thanks spooltime for letting me fly down and purchase it. The 14 hour straight drive back wasn't fun, but it was worth it. Besides a SES light (P0421) 800 miles into the journey (which I think was just bad 91 octane since I got 16 mpg going 80 and 17 mpg going 75, but then 13.5mpg my last tank when the SES light came on), it was a trouble free journey. The light hasn't came back on, and it was probably used to 93 octane vs random small truck stop 91 octane. Its a well maintained car and I am really growing to like the metallic black / two tone tan compared to my silver with black interior 04 CTT.

Speed wise, my 04 CTT is FAST, but this thing is in it's own league.

Thanks again!
Old 05-03-2018, 07:40 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Aero911
Yes it was.

Thanks spooltime for letting me fly down and purchase it. The 14 hour straight drive back wasn't fun, but it was worth it. Besides a SES light (P0421) 800 miles into the journey (which I think was just bad 91 octane since I got 16 mpg going 80 and 17 mpg going 75, but then 13.5mpg my last tank when the SES light came on), it was a trouble free journey. The light hasn't came back on, and it was probably used to 93 octane vs random small truck stop 91 octane. Its a well maintained car and I am really growing to like the metallic black / two tone tan compared to my silver with black interior 04 CTT.

Speed wise, my 04 CTT is FAST, but this thing is in it's own league.

Thanks again!
Nice pick-up!

Quick Reply: From $118,865 to $9,000 in 12 years