Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant pipes - How to know if they've been updated?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 12:26 PM
PartsGuyGT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
Any estimates on what an Indy might charge for this?
I normally charge around $350-400 in labor to do the pipes and water pump/thermostat plus the cost of parts. That doesn't include doing coolant "T's" if it's a turbo. The key thing if finding an Indy that has done them before so you're not paying for a learning curve or misshaps. Some places will charge more, some less. If you're looking for a negotiation price for the seller then just call the dealer, ask them how much it would run and then use that to try and set a price for the truck. My $0.02

Best

Julian
Old 02-22-2018, 01:55 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by PartsGuyGT
I normally charge around $350-400 in labor to do the pipes and water pump/thermostat plus the cost of parts. That doesn't include doing coolant "T's" if it's a turbo. The key thing if finding an Indy that has done them before so you're not paying for a learning curve or misshaps. Some places will charge more, some less. If you're looking for a negotiation price for the seller then just call the dealer, ask them how much it would run and then use that to try and set a price for the truck. My $0.02

Best

Julian
Julian,

Great advice...much appreciated. I wish I could
hire you to do it!

I will make some calls to a couple Indy shops or look into doing the DIY.

Last edited by 95_993; 02-22-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:00 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Did my own, but if I knew of someone local willing to do the labor for so little ($350-$400), I wouldn't have bothered...well, provided they have references.
From reading past posts, dealerships seem to average $2,500 with about $1,000 of that being the oem pipe kit and the rest labor. Some have been hit for well over $3,000.
A good aftermarket pipe kit from a reputable dealer (not eBay) will run $550 to $600 with coolant. There are far cheaper kits, but they won't include things like coolant, intake gaskets, t-stat housing gasket and the important vent pipe.

May not be a bad idea to install a new Bosch starter as they're under $400. I changed my pipes preemptively at around 52K miles and a year later the starter began making that common/annoying kazoo sound...doesn't hurt anything but downright embarrassing. Intake had to come back off and it was like a puzzle trying to figure out how to wiggle the starter out without removing the coolant pipes again.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:21 AM
PartsGuyGT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
Did my own, but if I knew of someone local willing to do the labor for so little ($350-$400), I wouldn't have bothered...well, provided they have references.
From reading past posts, dealerships seem to average $2,500 with about $1,000 of that being the oem pipe kit and the rest labor. Some have been hit for well over $3,000.
A good aftermarket pipe kit from a reputable dealer (not eBay) will run $550 to $600 with coolant. There are far cheaper kits, but they won't include things like coolant, intake gaskets, t-stat housing gasket and the important vent pipe.

May not be a bad idea to install a new Bosch starter as they're under $400. I changed my pipes preemptively at around 52K miles and a year later the starter began making that common/annoying kazoo sound...doesn't hurt anything but downright embarrassing. Intake had to come back off and it was like a puzzle trying to figure out how to wiggle the starter out without removing the coolant pipes again.
Yeah, the prices are all over the place at the dealer. Having done a few of these, if you're fast you could prob to the job in a couple of hours. Dealer techs are in it for the $$ and it's in their best interest to go fast. Dealer gets full book time and the tech finishes fast to get onto the next job. I run a small European car parts business in CT but have a shop with a lift where I do side work. I feel that a slower more methodical approach is better as it gives you more time to check other areas for broken items while in there. As for the pipe kits online I normally just buy the pipes themselves at the dealer along with the bleed tube. Everything else I get through my suppliers. Not worth the hassle with the cheaper aftermarket kits. I remember reading a few posts about bad castings from Hamburg Technic pipes.. Some things I don't mind aftermarket but when there's all that labor involved I just won't risk it.

Julian
Old 02-23-2018, 10:57 AM
mrottjers
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest doing the starter as well. Only a small job when you are already in there and available for under $200. https://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/st...e/cayenne.html . Yours will start cranking slowly or stop at all in the foreseeable future.

Best of Luck!
Old 02-23-2018, 02:25 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mrottjers
I would suggest doing the starter as well. Only a small job when you are already in there and available for under $200. https://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/st...e/cayenne.html . Yours will start cranking slowly or stop at all in the foreseeable future.

Best of Luck!
It hasnt leaked yet. Starter should be fine I would think.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:08 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Took a couple more pics.....don't see any aluminum.

Swapping out ASAP

Quick Reply: Coolant pipes - How to know if they've been updated?