Sponsored by:

Cornering Lights always on - normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 04:20 PM
s4for5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 955 is not like that at all

Separate H3 bulb for cornering lights only.
No shutters moving or magic here

Originally Posted by Petza914
I think my low mileage 957 is the same. I think k the lights are, always on and what happens when you turn is that the shield in front of them is moved out of the way to illuminate that corner toward which you're turning, then when you straighten out, the shield moves back into place.

Yes, the side lights are also on with the parking lights or headlights. I think you can code these with Durametric to work as direction indicators instead of just running lights, at least you can in the 997s.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:01 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

05 Turbo. Cornering lights only on when turning at low speed. Yep, they also light the opposite corner when in reverse. Guess it's so you can see what you just hit.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:02 AM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 119 Posts

Hello! Any 957 owners with xenon headlights; Do your cornering bulbs stay lit, and the shield rotates, or do they only light when the shield rotates?

Thanks!

(I am trying to diagnose why mine do not come on at all…)
Old 12-27-2022, 08:44 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,760 Likes on 4,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Crozzer
Hello! Any 957 owners with xenon headlights; Do your cornering bulbs stay lit, and the shield rotates, or do they only light when the shield rotates?

Thanks!

(I am trying to diagnose why mine do not come on at all…)
I believe when I looked at how they work that mine (09 CTTS) are on all the time and the shield moves out of the way to expose the light based on steering wheel angle.
Old 12-27-2022, 09:49 AM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I know this sounds silly… would you post a video (or photo) of that working?
Old 12-27-2022, 10:14 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,760 Likes on 4,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Crozzer
Thanks! I know this sounds silly… would you post a video (or photo) of that working?
I can next time I drive the car, but it hasn't left the garage in about 2 months as we really only use it for family vacations. Does need an oil change soon though so I'll try to remember to do it for you if someone else doesn't get it done by then.
Old 12-27-2022, 02:10 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

All fixed for me. The p-car dealer had set the value “dynamic cornering lights” to present. When I tried to correct that last night, it did not stick, but it seems to have stuck this time. The correct values for an 09 CTTS are:
- static cornering lights - present
- dynamic cornering lights - not present
This is in the coding for the HCUs.

Cornering light on

Off

for anyone trying to diagnose, I found it helpful to point the headlights at me under the hood. The cornering lights do come on with the wheel even slightly turned, and even in Park and stationary. The headlights (low beams) do need to be on.

for my headlights, the cornering light clearly turns on and off. The shield is fixed; it does not move.

cheers! Yay another issue sorted (knocks on wood).

my tally: $2500 pair of black Porsche headlights from suncoast, one eBay HCU for $250, one FCP HCU for what is it… $350? An hour of P-dealer shop time $220 (had to go back and got a couple hours more for free, but got headlights working with no cornering lights). A bit of fiddling with a new friend’s PIWIS and fixed that cornering light setting and voila.

for the record, my FCP HCU is on the left, and my oem eBay one is in the right. I think the left is the master, and right is slave. It is possible that swapping these also helped fix my issue, but I am not going to backtrack to confirm. Pretty sure it was the coding.

cheers!

Last edited by Crozzer; 12-27-2022 at 02:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Cornering Lights always on - normal?