Sponsored by:

Help with a Dension Gateway Unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 05:06 PM
dx3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a Dension Gateway Unit

While trying to work out why I was getting a CD error, I came across what appears to be an older Dension unit installed next to my cd changer in the back of the Cayenne. It is a G51 model which appears to be quite old. So old in fact that it has the old style iphone cable attached to it. If possible I'd like to take advantage of this and possibly just replace the cable with a lightning cable. Anyone done this before to save from replacing a $700 unit? Also, the iPhone connection cable was only 3ft long, so I am guessing that whoever installed this just left their iPod attached in the back of the vehicle and just used the factory screen up front? Any advice appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited by dx3; 12-06-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:34 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Are we to assume the Dension isn't working? There should be a bypass switch somewhere - that turns the Dension off and makes the system use the CD changer instead. If the unit is providing Blootoof - that also goes away.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:13 PM
dx3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Are we to assume the Dension isn't working? There should be a bypass switch somewhere - that turns the Dension off and makes the system use the CD changer instead. If the unit is providing Blootoof - that also goes away.
Well, I removed the old iphone connector and plugged a new one in every USB port I could find. Was happy to hear the sweet sound of music playing up front through one of the USB connectors I used. Now I am faced with the task of routing a lightning cable from the CD changer up to the center console area so I can plug my phone into it.

Does anyone have any links that discuss removing trim pieces/carpet pieces from the back area to the front? I really don't want to damage any of these trim pieces as I can only imagine they are not cheap to replace. I have been doing some searching but have not found a link explaining the best way to route the cable or how to specifically remove the trim pieces. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again!

This is the part I connected to that I got to work through the factory radio. Only issue is it's in the trunk and I don't really want to plug my phone in the trunk every day!

Last edited by dx3; 12-06-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:05 PM
dx3
Intermediate

Well, nevermind. I just pulled the interior apart and ran it under the carpet and up into the center console/cubby hole from the cd changer. That way its out of sight unless I want to use it. Nice to have my own music again!

Quick Reply: Help with a Dension Gateway Unit