Sponsored by:

Rear camera install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 09:54 AM
reyxlp
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Avec
Isnt there a hot-on-run accessory outlet in the back? Wire it to that.
Thanks for your response!

You're saying in the back of the car or the back of the head unit?

This outlet would run power only when the backup camera feed comes up on the display, regardless of whether the car is in reverse or not?

And this is an actual outlet or one of the wires in a bundle?
Old 12-27-2018, 10:47 AM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I know there is a 12v accessory outlet on each side panel of the rear cargo area in my 957. Just at the rear lip, about 6 inches from the floor. Not sure if they had the same in the 955, but based on a quick search, I found the replacement cap for one, so I would say they have them. I cant find a picture of one, but that is where I would wire in. You should first check to make sure it is switched with the key or always hot. Someone else may know off hand.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:08 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by reyxlp
Thanks so much for this write up!

Please help me understand something ('06 CTTS)-- is there a power source for the camera I can tap that will turn it on when the stock head unit activates the backup camera display?

If you tap the reverse light, the camera will only power on while the car is actually in reverse -- however, the head unit keeps the backup camera display on for a while longer, even after you've put the car back in park, as you would want it to especially when parallel parking.

If you tap a 12v source that's always on, then the camera will always be on whenever the car is on, which seems like unnecessary wear and tear on the camera, as another poster commented.

Is there a 12v source you can tap that will turn the camera on whenever the backup camera display is on -- one of the wires in the head unit bundle, correct? Would you happen to know which one? Or am I misunderstanding this whole thing lol.. Thanks!
Hi
The reverse signal isn’t 12v in the traditional sense. It’s just a signal on the canbus from the transmission module. The canbus adapter reads the canbus signal looking for a reverse signal and then switches an independent 12v supply when it sees it . This 12v supply is wired to the head unit and causes the display switch. This same 12v supply I used to simultaneously supply the camera and switch the display. Does that make sense?
Old 12-27-2018, 11:14 AM
Stringbag
Pro

You are using the stock head unit though?
I think you can code it to enable the camera (the stock head unit is connected to the canbus directly but without the correct coding it just ignores the reverse signal)
There will be both a vga and a 12v supply from the head unit you just need to look at a pin out.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:34 AM
Avec
Racer

I have a Seicane (sp?) Android head unit. I wired my backup camera to the backup light harness for power, then ran the cable along the passenger side roof panel edge, down the A pillar and to the radio. Not sure if the head unit responds to the Canbus, or just power to the camera, but even if the head unit is off, the camera feed from the back up camera will pop on when going into reverse.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:31 PM
reyxlp
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stringbag

Hi
The reverse signal isn’t 12v in the traditional sense. It’s just a signal on the canbus from the transmission module. The canbus adapter reads the canbus signal looking for a reverse signal and then switches an independent 12v supply when it sees it . This 12v supply is wired to the head unit and causes the display switch. This same 12v supply I used to simultaneously supply the camera and switch the display. Does that make sense?
Yes, I think I understand. Where do I tap that 12v to power my camera so that it is only sending power to it when the video display switches to backup camera view (which it does when you put the car in reverse but also continues for a while longer even after you are out of reverse, which is very helpful for parallel parking.) I have it currently wired to the reverse lamp so the camera turns on when the car is in reverse, but as soon as the car is out of reverse, the camera turns off-- even though the display is still showing the reverse camera mode. I am using the stock head unit. Do I need a pin out legend for the stock head unit to find it? Thanks again...!
Old 01-03-2019, 08:08 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Probably. There are many ways it could be wired and I’d just be guessing at what the factory did.
Sorry I can’t help further.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:52 PM
Avec
Racer

I believe the head unit is set to display the camera view when the camera view is available, OR when the canbus says the vehicle is in reverse. I dont think it will do what you want it to do. If it is based on the video signal, you probably could create a little circuit board that has two positive inputs, one from the backup light and one from a hot on run input. Once the backup light is off, the board begins a countdown before cutting power from the hot on run input. Beyond that, I dont think there is a way, other than strictly manual, to keep the video signal on when the car is not in reverse
Old 01-13-2020, 04:29 PM
ArjenWeijers
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great tutorial!
Just one question, did you disconnect the battery?
Asking because of the airbags.
Thanks,
Arjen Weijers
Old 01-13-2020, 07:19 PM
Stringbag
Pro

No I didn’t. But probably should have!
The following users liked this post:
ArjenWeijers (01-14-2020)

Quick Reply: Rear camera install DIY