Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 04:44 PM
Live2Hover
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

So, my check engine light came on last night. I stopped into an AutoZone to have them read the codes. They were unable to read any codes because my ECM has lost it's memory. They advised me to have it flashed. My question is do I have to go to a dealership or can it be flashed by a durametric tool? It's a 2006 S with 162000 miles.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:57 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Live2Hover
So, my check engine light came on last night. I stopped into an AutoZone to have them read the codes. They were unable to read any codes because my ECM has lost it's memory. They advised me to have it flashed. My question is do I have to go to a dealership or can it be flashed by a durametric tool? It's a 2006 S with 162000 miles.
AutoZone are not trained Porsche mechanics. There isn't anything called an ECM that I know of on a Cayenne. There are about 35 different electronic control modules in the vehicle though, none of them named "ECM"..

And if you had a Durametric tool - what would you "flash" the mythical ECM with?

That's the problem depending on Autozone (or other big-box stores) for diagnostics. They frequently are talking out of their azz. But for free - what the heck!

I suspect you need to visit a dealer or a good independent to get the codes read. It doesn't surprise me at all that the Autozone OBD-II diagnostics tool has difficulty talking to the Porsche gateway (where the OBD-II port comes off of) since even some Porsche specific tools have difficulty talking to it.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light