Rossi
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
Any Royal purple list of fluids?
I would like to use:

Transfer case: Royal Purple ATF
Front/Rear Diff: Royal Purple MaxGear W75-90

Anyone else used this product or any informed objections?

What is the Porsche recommendation frequency for transmission fluid replacement, I have 6-speed GTS.

Last edited by Rossi; 10-30-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:26 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,772 Likes on 4,310 Posts

I would like to use:

What is the Porsche recommendation frequency for transmission fluid replacement, I have 6-speed GTS.
I don't have any direct personal experience with Royal Purple products, but in looking at using it in the past, I decided not to based solely on the fact that they add purple dye to the product for Marketing purposes, and this didn't seem like it was necessary or a particularly good idea. I'm fine with lubricants that are their natural color without introducing unnecessary substances into it. Maybe it all burns off harmlessly, but why?
Old 10-30-2017, 08:58 PM
Rossi
Burning Brakes

I would like to use:

UPDATE: I wrote to Royal Purple, i received this reply.

Good Afternoon Ross,

Yes, the Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 (part #01300, quart bottle) is exactly what we recommend for the front and rear differentials on your 2009 Porsche Cayenne GTS 4.8L V8. The factory capacity of the front differential is listed at 1.05 quarts, and the rear differential is listed at 1.35 quarts (w/o locking differential) to 1.70 quarts (w/ locking differential).

No, the Max ATF is not our recommended product for this transfer case. The Royal Purple Synchromax (part #01512, quart bottle) is our recommended lubricant for the transfer case on your 2009 Porsche Cayenne GTS. The factory capacity of this transfer case is listed at 0.95 quarts.

For the six speed manual transmission on your 2009 Porsche Cayenne GTS we recommend Royal Purple Synchromax (part #01512, quart bottle). The factory capacity of this manual transmission is listed at 1.9 quarts

Thank you for inquiring about Royal Purple, and have a great day!

Last edited by Rossi; 10-31-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:25 PM
George Boss
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UPDATE: I wrote to Royal Purple, i received this reply.

Good Afternoon Ross,

Yes, the Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 (part #01300, quart bottle) is exactly what we recommend for the front and rear differentials on your 2009 Porsche Cayenne GTS 4.8L V8. The factory capacity of the front differential is listed at 1.05 quarts, and the rear differential is listed at 1.35 quarts (w/o locking differential) to 1.70 quarts (w/ locking differential).

No, the Max ATF is not our recommended product for this transfer case. The Royal Purple Synchromax (part #01512, quart bottle) is our recommended lubricant for the transfer case on your 2009 Porsche Cayenne GTS. The factory capacity of this transfer case is listed at 0.95 quarts.

Thank you for inquiring about Royal Purple, and have a great day!
I wonder why they would say that, when their web site says it's approved for LT71141 and Toyota Type IV
Old 10-30-2017, 10:06 PM
Rossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by George Boss
I wonder why they would say that, when their web site says it's approved for LT71141 and Toyota Type IV
I was searching internet, I found same question out there, it seems you could use both. I found this Royal Purple response from Mercedes Forum.
So it seems the Synchromax is simply better choice but the other one is fine. Please see below:

Someone asked:
“Mercedes book calls for approved Dexron III/Mercon ATF for transfer case, and I want to know if I can use Royal Purple Max ATF instead?”

ROYAL PURPLE wrote:
Yes you can safely and effectively use Max ATF in your transfer case, however our primary recommendation for your transfer case that takes an ATF fluid is Royal Purple Synchromax. Synchromax is based on Max ATF product and viscosity, except Synchromax has additional protective chemistry, most notable is our proprietary Synerlec additive technology. Synchromax therefore provides a significantly higher level of performance and protection and approximately 3 to 4 times higher film strength than any ATF on the planet.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:36 PM
Rossi
Burning Brakes

Another question: For Cayenne with manual tranny, are you suppose to change the clutch fluid, I just saw few recommendations posted about same frequency as brake fluid flush, which is every 36k miles or every 2 years. Anyone?
Old 11-01-2017, 03:06 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another question: For Cayenne with manual tranny, are you suppose to change the clutch fluid, I just saw few recommendations posted about same frequency as brake fluid flush, which is every 36k miles or every 2 years. Anyone?
There's probably an interval. I can tell you that I've never changed clutch fluid on any of my cars except for a 1974 MG Midget that came to me with a blown clutch slave cylinder. My daily driver 1993 968 still presumably has the factory fluid in it at 24yrs and counting.

*Correction*

I just remembered that the rubber line to the slave cylinder on the 968 split in 2003 a few months after I bought it. So that car has only been running the same clutch fluid for 14 years so far. No plans to change it unless something breaks. It will probably need its original clutch replaced one of these decades, maybe I'll do it then...

cheers,
c

Last edited by vandal968; 11-01-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:15 PM
vandal968
Pro

I've decided on another fluid. After reading a ton, I've come to the conclusion that Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 is the best diff juice, with Redline being a very close second. Royal Purple appears to have too high an initial viscosity, followed by too low after break-in.

See page 5 of this report for the chart.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3375...oilshopper-com

I can't find Amsoil from my usual places (Amazon, Walmart) so I'm going with Redline which is only a fraction behind in performance and easy to get.

Amazon Amazon

I already settled on Mobil1 3309 for tranny. Transfer case is the last one to research....

cheers,
c

Last edited by vandal968; 11-01-2017 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Mispoke, confused Castrol syntec and syntrax.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:35 AM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 225 Posts

I had just changed mine with Royal Purple and then read your thread and studied the document you attached. I ordered Amsoil Severe Gear and gonna dump the Royal Purple next week. I'll call the Royal Purple a "flush treatment"

I used Pentosin ATF1 in the transfer case after seeing the Porsche Part number listed on the literature and bottle as a direct replacement.

I also go this document and saw on page 2 of 9 in the middle a listing of the part number that is also on the Pentosin bottle. Good enough for me.

cayenne fluids.pdf
Old 11-02-2017, 11:39 AM
vandal968
Pro

Originally Posted by jeff spahn
I ordered Amsoil Severe Gear
Jeff, where did you order the Amsoil from? I've already got Redline on the way, but maybe for next time.

cheers,
c
Old 11-02-2017, 11:48 AM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 225 Posts

My business partner sells it, just found out today. Let me know and I can get your information to him to send you some.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:56 AM
George Boss
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just changed my fluids yesterday, and I used Amsoil ATF for the transmission and transfer case, and Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 for both diffs. I can tell you that shifts are smoother and that the driveline appears to move the truck easier.

I'm going back today to do the PS and Brakes (Pentosin and ATE respectively)

I noticed the ATF most likely was original, as the drain and fill plugs has corroded almost shut and the fluid was more like engine oil than bright red ATF. The pan bolts also were corroded, so take your time removing them. I snapped one torqueing it back in when I re-mounted the pan.

The transfer case and diff drain and fill bolts came out relatively easy, but make sure you have good leverage in order to break them loose: a long handled tool or a length of pipe slipped over the tool helped.

My transmission took about 8.5 quarts. Transfer case a little less than 1. Front diffs as well. Rear was a little more than 1. The quantities listed around here and online are correct.

Overall, happy with the noticeable increase in driveability
Old 11-03-2017, 11:59 AM
vandal968
Pro

Originally Posted by George Boss
I just changed my fluids yesterday, and I used Amsoil ATF for the transmission and transfer case
George,
the transmission and transfer case call for different specs. 3309 for tranny and LT71141 for transfer case. Some fluids appear to meet both and it sure would be simpler to deal with one less fluid. Valvoline Maxlife is a synthetic and meets both. Redline says to use D4 ATF for both, but I don't think that they specifically mentioned either standard in their spec. Does the Amsoil ATF meet both?

I was going to buy the Motive Products 1735 or 1745 to make it easier to pump the vast quantities needed by the tranny, but then I came across this:

And I thought to myself "Self, $90 IS pretty spendy for a pressurized plastic bucket." So, I bought this instead for just $12.77:

Amazon Amazon

cheers,
c

Last edited by vandal968; 11-03-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Quick Reply: All the Pig Fluids - Recommendations Needed