Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

you shouldn't be hearing the 4.5 injectors
You can easily hear the 4.5 injectors.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
That sounds like the clacking noise from the OP's video. This video is not as good as the OP's, so the ticking is tougher to hear.
Maybe I should just upload my own video, although if you can separate the clacking from the ticking in the OP's video, that's exactly what mine is.
Hard to diagnose clicking vs clacking without hearing it. Try to record a video from both sides of the engine - than slow down video & sound by 10 times - so if you rpm at 600 and you slowed down video & sound by 10 times - on replay you will get 1 rotation per second - if you hear something loud once per second on slow replay - something is happening at 1 rotation of the engine.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:05 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

you shouldn't be hearing the 4.5 injectors
Originally Posted by 19psi
You can easily hear the 4.5 injectors.
LOL. OK, I see that I should just shoot my own video. I think I can tell two distinct sounds in the OP's video, but perhaps not so obvious as I first thought.

Also, on the frequency issue, sure let's say it idles at 600 RPM, so that is 10 rev's of the crankshaft per second. The clacking noise (diagnosed as piston slap) in the OP's video seems to be at about 1 per second. Why is it that and not 10 per second?

Video coming later today.

And the main reason I'm not too concerned is that it seems uniform throughout the whole top of the engine (all 8 cylinders the same, vs. one or more localized noises).
Old 12-12-2017, 10:11 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

I uploaded the video as a new thread, possibly to make it easier and a more helpful future reference for others.
Here it is:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...e-ticking.html
Old 05-12-2018, 09:17 PM
socal911sc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomF
I keep having to be the bearer of bad news and I am sorry to to tell you this, but that is clearly another case of cylinder scoring. At this point, if you do a compression test, one or more cylinders will be off by 30+ PSI. If you borescope from the bottom, you will see scoring at the bottom of the bore. See the recent thread (and there are more as well) about this issue.

While it is comparatively rare, it happens more with the normally aspirated engines than with the turbos. At this point, you might have 500 miles to go before catastrophic failure or you might go 2000 miles, but I certainly wouldn't take the chance.

Just for your edification, the variocam issue results in engine failure as the cam adjuster bolts shear off (the bad ones are aluminum). There is no warning, the bolts break, the valve timing goes nuts and there is catastrophic contact from the valves with the pistons.

Sorry for your misfortune.
I don't mean to hijack This Thread, but I was wondering if you could take a look at the below video and let me know if you think this could be piston slap also. This is on a 2012 Panamera S that I'm currently looking at purchasing. Mileage on the engine is 70000 Miles. Thanks

https://youtu.be/ZWYRs51fC7Y
Old 05-14-2018, 03:26 AM
NelaK
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

That just sounds like the injectors clicking to me.

Piston slap will be lower pitch and frequency. Less of a rapid ticking noise and more of a slapping noise. Clap your hands together parallel to each other - that's a lot closer to what piston slap sounds like (at least to me)
Old 05-14-2018, 11:31 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 134 Posts

It is really tough to say with the camera moving around so much. Something sounds off as the engine is revved, but that is another issue, possibly a cracked coil pack missing occasionally. If you can take another video, hold the camera inside the engine compartment, at an angle, pointing to the front of each cylinder bank for about 30 seconds. Don't rev the motor- simply let it idle...

Cheers,
TomF
Old 10-26-2018, 02:13 AM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default bring it back to life for the cosmo racing coil please

Originally Posted by stefan063
I recently changed all 8 coils on my TTS cayenne (4 shown on picture just for difference). When I got out coils, ALL of them were cracked, but car drove excellent. Don't know how,but no problem at all. After installing brand new spark plug and brand new coils (COSMO RACING) noticeable difference

May ask please how are the cosmo racing coils? Thanks

Old 10-26-2018, 02:20 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by marinerbc
I'd ask how much Cosmo charges to put their stickers on stock coils?
Old 10-26-2018, 03:59 AM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb kommt Zeit, kommt Rat !

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I'd ask how much Cosmo charges to put their stickers on stock coils?
lol, But seriously looks are deceiving . would love to have someone measure the winding resistance as in the below clip to compare , and that would be half of the story the second half would be the winding turn count, coil inductance and magnet quality.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:38 PM
stm685
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Less Obvious

First time posting here, but I just went through this and thought it might help someone else out. I've attached a video of what an early failure might sound like. I took this Cayenne into a Porsche dealer and they weren't at all convinced it was an issue. I insisted on the scope and sure enough there is scoring on at least 2 cylinders. Luckily I am within a limited warranty from the dealer and this car will be heading back to them shortly.

You can barely hear it, and it's nearly impossible if you aren't in a quiet area. Just a slight thunk on the driver's side cylinder bank.

Hope this helps someone!
Attached Files
File Type: avi
cayenne-tick.avi (3.18 MB, 304 views)
Old 04-19-2019, 08:41 AM
stefan063
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just saw it now. Your question. Sorry @marinerbc Well they are fine, pretty cheap, but I think they are not good as latest BERU revision. But it may be also subjective opinion, since I had some little stutter problem in the past and went to the dealer to check some stuff. When they saw NON-OEM ignition coils, they removed them and put BERU OEM (Porsche branding on the coil box) in it. I think I noticed a little difference but it wasn't anything major. Difference is there but how big, I don't thing that BERU coils are worth 700$ over 240$ for CosmoR. After test drive they put my old CosmoR coils. Problem was not in them. Problem was eventually resolved.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:52 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by stm685
First time posting here, but I just went through this and thought it might help someone else out. I've attached a video of what an early failure might sound like. I took this Cayenne into a Porsche dealer and they weren't at all convinced it was an issue. I insisted on the scope and sure enough there is scoring on at least 2 cylinders. Luckily I am within a limited warranty from the dealer and this car will be heading back to them shortly.

You can barely hear it, and it's nearly impossible if you aren't in a quiet area. Just a slight thunk on the driver's side cylinder bank.

Hope this helps someone!
Sorry to hear about your car. Could you fill out the bore scoring survey? It's stickied at the top of the Cayenne forum.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:47 PM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stefan063
I just saw it now. Your question. Sorry @marinerbc Well they are fine, pretty cheap, but I think they are not good as latest BERU revision. But it may be also subjective opinion, since I had some little stutter problem in the past and went to the dealer to check some stuff. When they saw NON-OEM ignition coils, they removed them and put BERU OEM (Porsche branding on the coil box) in it. I think I noticed a little difference but it wasn't anything major. Difference is there but how big, I don't thing that BERU coils are worth 700$ over 240$ for CosmoR. After test drive they put my old CosmoR coils. Problem was not in them. Problem was eventually resolved.
Thank you for the feedback , so sorry about that car however it was a good timing that it was discovered while being under warranty. thank you for the feedback on these coils , so far i have been using them on a 16 CTT with Denso IKH22 one step cooler to
work with the piggy back tune from a dutch company called Essing and the 3" resonated 2nd CAT delete from HHR. did few dyno pulls for before and after with good result.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:30 AM
stefan063
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you for the feedback , so sorry about that car however it was a good timing that it was discovered while being under warranty. thank you for the feedback on these coils , so far i have been using them on a 16 CTT with Denso IKH22 one step cooler to
work with the piggy back tune from a dutch company called Essing and the 3" resonated 2nd CAT delete from HHR. did few dyno pulls for before and after with good result.
What are the results? How much have you gained? I am using stock Bosh FR6 spark plugs and CosmoR coils. I will try and measure resistance later and post it, If I have spare time. If not today I will do it tomorrow. Do you think I should try also with IKH22s?

Quick Reply: 2008 Cayenne 4.8L clacking, ticking