Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the Cayenne Towing Package So Expensive? Now I Know!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 11:19 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts
Question Why is the Cayenne Towing Package So Expensive? Now I Know!

Well, I got my Cayenne back today from Park Place with my Porsche Towing System hitch installed. Cost of the total package was about $1000!

While the service rep was showing me the work, he pointed out the hitch and the ball assembly and the electrical adapters for the lights (a $30 part from Ford versus the $100+ Porsche part!) on the trailer......

AND THEN HE SHOWED ME WHERE THE TOWING CONTROL UNIT IS!!!!!!

No wonder this silly thing costs so much! Not only does it have reinforced pieces for attachment to the bumper/frame, it has an electronic control module that is plugged into the CAN-bus (CAN Convenience ring). It is officially designated Control Unit Number 20 - Trailer control module, and it lives just in front of the CD Changer on the right rear wall. (GM Austin check page 9.9 in your Technik Manual) I have the dealer off trying to tell me exactly what this module does. I would assume that it "speaks" to the PASM (if you have it ) and other modules on the CAN drive unit. Will find out and post more details.

At any rate, I have wondered why a silly piece of steel would cost so much. Now I know...... it's not the steel STUPID! It's the control unit!
Old 12-11-2003, 02:40 AM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That silly piece of steel probably cost Porsche more than the over engineered silicon and machine code.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:30 AM
GM Austin
Pro

The labor to install them is the real cost.

Thanks Toby! That book is great isn't it? (part #PNA488910 at your dealer). The page that Toby refers to is a network layout table showing the unit number for each device on the network; 46 devices numbered 1-41 and A-E.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:24 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Toby

did they put a new skirt on or cut the existing one?
Old 12-11-2003, 04:13 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

They cut the existing one. From what I can gather, the various parts are templated as they are manufactured to facilitate proper placement after the fact. I saw that on my skid plate installation and looked at a rear skirt that was off the vehicle and saw the same outlines.

Toby
Old 12-11-2003, 08:02 PM
oscarb57
5th Gear

<<AND THEN HE SHOWED ME WHERE THE TOWING CONTROL UNIT IS!!!!>>

But that's not a brake controller. So what does it do, exactly?
Old 12-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have not yet discovered this particular control unit's purpose in life. Hopefully, I can get some time tomorrow so I can talk with my service guy and get the details.

Film at 11 folks.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:46 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

There's nothing inside. It's just there to seperate you from your money :-O
Old 12-11-2003, 09:47 PM
WCS
Instructor

So basically if I do not have air & PASM, I'd be equally well off with a regular aftermarket hitch, right?
Old 12-11-2003, 11:14 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Toby Pennycuff
I have not yet discovered this particular control unit's purpose in life. Hopefully, I can get some time tomorrow so I can talk with my service guy and get the details.

Film at 11 folks.
The controller controls electric brakes on the trailer.

Lightweight trailers do not need brakes. Middleweight trailers usually use surge brakes (that don't require electric brakes). Heavy duty trailers may have the electric brakes, which feather better & back up hill better.

Careful with your tongue weight on the trailer load you choose - that is a contensious issue.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:31 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Torags
Careful with your tongue weight on the trailer load you choose - that is a contensious issue.
Absolutely! I need to go back and re-read your posts on the brake controller too. Didn't you wind up buying one from a trailer store??

TBP
Old 12-11-2003, 11:39 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

No, I have surge brakes on my boat trailer (only 'bout 6,000lb +/-).

I have no controller and I get alerts in my gauge (S doesn't see brakes & considers it a failure) when brakes are applied.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:24 AM
Fabianrou
Advanced

On my 04 Cayenne today I got a horrible grounding noise coming out of the speakers and it all happened after I towed my jetski not realizing that the wiring on the trailer was bad. This is the first time I tow it since I bought the car a month ago. The noise came on right as I try to plug in the DURAMETRIC Software cable (also for the first time) to check for fault codes. I was however able to check the faults and sure enough the car knows that something was wrong with the trailer wiring and it threw a whole bunch of codes for it. I cleared them but the grounding noise is terrible and still there. The kind that you get when you rev up the rpm's. It is very loud and I have no idea what is causing it. Any thoughts? Exactly where is the towing module and is there a way to check it?
Old 10-17-2011, 05:47 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Towing controller is above right rear wheel well. Pretty hard to get to as I recall - lots of panels have to come off...

Quick Reply: Why is the Cayenne Towing Package So Expensive? Now I Know!