Sponsored by:

Engine Shuts off when at a stop light

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 05:11 PM
viverosv92
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Shuts off when at a stop light

2005 Porsche Cayenne S engine shuts off when at a stop light. It does not happen every time I stop. It has only happened 3 times within a week. Another thing I noticed, when I step on the gas pedal, it takes long to get to higher speed. I've even pressed the gas pedal all the way in but no signs of it wanting to speed up. It eventually speeds up after about 30 secs. Can this be due to the MAF Sensor being dirty? What can be wrong?
Old 10-18-2017, 06:38 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

You need to get the computer scanned before we can help you much.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:58 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
You need to get the computer scanned before we can help you much.
Yep, it'd definitely be necessary to have it scanned for existing error codes. Those would help reveal what the engine computer has detected and could point toward the leading problems. You could use a regular OBD2 scanner and that will give most codes. But there are Porsche-specific codes and an independent Porsche shop (or a dealer) will have the factory-supplied PIWIS equipment necessary to read those.

Stalling at lights and lack of power at higher speeds often points to a fuel delivery problem. As in, the fuel pump and/or the filters not being able to reliably deliver the problem fuel pressure.

It would seem foolish to start replacing things, or worse using after-market cleaners, without an understanding of what's actually having problems.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:58 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I had the same problem with an 04 S. New fuel pumps solved the problem.

Quick Reply: Engine Shuts off when at a stop light