Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on NAV Unit - 05' Cayenne Turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 04:48 AM
malimt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on NAV Unit - 05' Cayenne Turbo.

Greetings to all Forum Members,

Please excuse my poor English.

I am making a post today as I have recently found out something that is quite odd. So, my Porsche NAV Unit was aftermarket since I purchased the car and everything has been working fine for the last 2 weeks or so... Until today, the NAV Unit burned. I decided I'm going to purchase the original Unit this time and just use that since it offers access to certain options of the car better. I assume the aftermarket was placed by previous owner for the 'rear camera' that was installed.

Anyways, I went and found a Original NAV Unit, but no one seems to have the 2005 model. So I was wondering if whether or not the 2005 and 2008 or 2009 models are compatible? The seller said it would be compatible but I just wanted to check with the Forum Members before purchasing it.

Also another question... The seller checked my vehicle and supposedly said this car is a Japanese car? Apparently, it was imported from Japan, something that I did not know of at all. Now he says that the "Electrical" isn't the same as "US or GCC" Meaning that you would have to purchase and use Japanese NAV Unit??? I thought that the NAV Units were all Universal? Am I wrong here? Will it not fit and work if it is from a different region? - I don't care about GPS or Maps or even the radio to be honest, I just am looking for the original unit at this point.

I really would appreciate some insight on this... Any Advice would really help out at this point. I want to confirm with you guys and make sure that what he said is true.

Thank you very much in advance for your time and help!

Last edited by malimt; 09-12-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:10 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

Personally, I think an aftermarket Pioneer, Kenwood, or Alpine would be a better choice and less expensive to boot.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:35 AM
malimt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Marv
Personally, I think an aftermarket Pioneer, Kenwood, or Alpine would be a better choice and less expensive to boot.
Marv,

Thank you for sharing your opinion. I currently have a Panasonic but it stopped working.

Wouldn't there be some missing options though? Like for example with the original unit you can modify certain options/settings in the car? Am I correct or mistaken here?

I ask only because I've never had the original unit since the car came with an aftermarket Panasonic due to installation of Rear Camera.

Please excuse my poor use of the English language.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:46 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

As far as I know they only thing an original unit gets you is the radio display in the middle of the dash. Assuming you have the magic box that lets the aftermarket radio make use of the steering wheel buttons.

Does the aftermarket stereo make use of the speed sensitive volume control?
Old 09-12-2017, 01:31 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by malimt
Marv,

Thank you for sharing your opinion. I currently have a Panasonic but it stopped working.

Wouldn't there be some missing options though? Like for example with the original unit you can modify certain options/settings in the car? Am I correct or mistaken here?

I ask only because I've never had the original unit since the car came with an aftermarket Panasonic due to installation of Rear Camera.

Mistaken. The 958 PCM is used for settings of the vehicle. The 955 didn't have this capability.

Have you checked simple things like the fuse to the Panasonic? And do you know the model of it? That would let you check if it's compatible with wherever you're located (and if map-sets are available.)

Your English is better than about 50% of the native speaking English language people who post here. No apology is needed. We can understand you just fine!
Old 09-13-2017, 09:28 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by malimt
Marv,

Your English is very good!

I am not sure what happened after 2006 as far as compatibility of the newer PCM units.

I would explore what's wrong with the Panasonic first.

I had an older Kenwood in my GT3 that failed. I finally sent it into a repair center and got an estimate of $200.

Granted, my Kenwood is outdated, but retrofitting something else, even a stock PCM, is going to be more expensive and time consuming than simply dropping in a repaired unit.

You might consider sending yours in (after confirming something simple like a fuse is not at fault) and get an estimate for repairs.

At least you have more choices this way, if you are not in a huge hurry to get something working again.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:29 PM
malimt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
As far as I know they only thing an original unit gets you is the radio display in the middle of the dash. Assuming you have the magic box that lets the aftermarket radio make use of the steering wheel buttons.

Does the aftermarket stereo make use of the speed sensitive volume control?
Great. Thanks very much for confirming. Unfortunately, I do not have steering wheel controls. If you see my other post on interior you will find out why. Someone explained to me that steering wheel controls are illegal in Japan? Since my Cayenne is imported from Japan it does not have the controls. Kind of odd and confusing but that is what I'm told.

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Mistaken. The 958 PCM is used for settings of the vehicle. The 955 didn't have this capability.

Have you checked simple things like the fuse to the Panasonic? And do you know the model of it? That would let you check if it's compatible with wherever you're located (and if map-sets are available.)

Your English is better than about 50% of the native speaking English language people who post here. No apology is needed. We can understand you just fine!
deilenberger,
Thank you very much for confirming that. I thought that it did have options but clearly I was mistaken. I am going to check on the fuse and everything else today as I'm taking my car into shop to have the Nav unit thoroughly examined. I'm hoping that it will be something simple that is causing the error but if not, thanks to you guys providing some info on the best aftermarket units compatible with my cayenne I'm prepared to purchase a new unit.
Thank you for the compliment. It's good to know that you can understand me well.
Appreciate all your time and help.

Originally Posted by Marv
Your English is very good!

I am not sure what happened after 2006 as far as compatibility of the newer PCM units.

I would explore what's wrong with the Panasonic first.

I had an older Kenwood in my GT3 that failed. I finally sent it into a repair center and got an estimate of $200.

Granted, my Kenwood is outdated, but retrofitting something else, even a stock PCM, is going to be more expensive and time consuming than simply dropping in a repaired unit.

You might consider sending yours in (after confirming something simple like a fuse is not at fault) and get an estimate for repairs.

At least you have more choices this way, if you are not in a huge hurry to get something working again.
Marv, thank you very much for your compliment. It's good to know that you can understand me well. - I also really appreciate your prompt and detailed response. As others have mentioned above I will be sure to check everything thoroughly as I'm taking my in today to have the Nav unit thoroughly examined.
​​​​​​Again, thank you very much to all of you guys for helping out and providing very helpful information regarding the Nav unit.
I hope you all have a wonderful day and God bless!
Old 09-13-2017, 03:58 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Is your steering wheel on the right hand side?
Old 09-13-2017, 04:02 PM
malimt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
Is your steering wheel on the right hand side?
Greetings lupo.sk,

​​​​​​No. Left hand side. I have researched this as well. I've always thought that Asian cars were right sided but it just so happens that in Japan they have both left and right sided vehicles. I was quite surprised when I found that out haha.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:02 PM
malimt
Intermediate

I went and got it checked and it wasn't the fuse. It's the display that stopped working I guess. All cables were tested as well and everything was working fine. The display just wouldn't turn on at all. So I was told that I would definitely need to have this changed if I wanted a stereo on the car. Upon researching for a few hours and what was available near me I decided to go with: JVC KW-V51BT
its a good device for sure and has everything that I need.
I would like to thank you all very much for your time and help!
Old 09-15-2017, 01:47 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

First off, your English is fine. No need to apologize.

Second, the original Nav unit in the 05s is...

Garbage. Horrible. Awful. Really, really bad. The "profanity filter" keeps me from expressing my real feelings.

It isn't even very good by 2005 standards. I have a Garmin handheld from 08 that is waaaaaaay better.

You will be miles and miles better just getting a new aftermarket unit.

Quick Reply: Advice on NAV Unit - 05' Cayenne Turbo.