Sponsored by:

Brake Failing and STEERING WHEEL LOCKED AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 05:31 AM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Failing and STEERING WHEEL LOCKED AGAIN

As you all know its snowing badly in boston... After leaving the cinema i headed back home and while entering the garage.... I guess my car slipped, the brakes were not working at all i pushed on the footbrake and that didnt work too.. I ended up crashing into the garage door and THE STEERING WHEEL WAS LOCKED AGAIN... what the **** should i do with the dealership should I tell them ill freaking sue their sorry asses.

I tried posting a picture but it said file too large so email me if u want to see it.... on JAMY85@aol.com
Old 12-07-2003, 06:13 AM
Jessa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ouch! That kind of failure in a new (or any, really) vehicle is just not OK. Good thing this happened at low speed and you weren't hurt.

I'd start by explaining the situation to the dealership and give them a chance to makes things right before threatening a lawsuit. Hopefully, they'll take care of it and save you the effort and legal frees.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:15 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Was your engine still running ? that would happen if it was not.

If it was, into the dealer and leave it until they find out exactly what it is.

I think they can play back some events from the computer to help fault find.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:38 AM
Cay
Instructor

Originally posted by mudman2

I think they can play back some events from the computer to help fault find.
they can play back everything. Got the same prob yesterday with my SL -
a message appear "low brake pressure - drive slow", after some seconds
the message appear "Stop - Brakes out of order".

I restarted the car a couple times and the message dissapears and brakes working normal but I`ve been confused and called the Benz emergency service. Than we drove to the Benz service station (everything worked normal) and he connected the system tester and printed out over 20 pages
from it. You see EVERYTHING on it - the error, outside temp, engine temp, the speed when the error occur, how often etc etc..

Anyways, he just find out that the system stops working due of a electrical failure. So I leave the car there that they can check this all closer in the normal working week. Damn, thats pretty bad and I dont trust the car anymore! But the SL have a electrical brake system and I think the Cayenne not. Anyways take care that you get a copy from the sys print out
that you have the proof in YOUR hands in case they start kidding with you.

The pic show the page with the brake error and I think your system wll
show up something simular:
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2003, 11:47 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Nice one Cay
Old 12-07-2003, 01:10 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

Ya my car was running when it happened.... after all of that happened they dismantled the garage door so that i get in... but my steering was locked was very hard to turn... i ended up turning the wheels after literally struggling with it.. and by the way i called the porsche roadside assistence when it happened which was 3am sunday and they said they will have a tow truck their by monday morning hahaha if the guy who said it was infront of me I would have burried him in the snow and call him an ambulance to get him the following monday.....what a fool
Old 12-07-2003, 02:27 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that and glad that no one was hurted.

Work with your dealer to find out the problem. If they prove that something is wrong with the car, I would suggest to consult your lawyer on returning the car.

I don't mean to sue anyone, but a new car with repeatedly brake+steering failure is very dangerous.

Not only if it would hurt you and your family in an accident, but what if it lost control and hurt someone else on the road? In that case, you will be sued as well.

With best wishes,
Old 12-07-2003, 03:02 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Photo's from Jamy
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2003, 03:03 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

more
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2003, 06:01 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is simple...

You got back from the cinema at - - 3:00 AM? OK, the coldest moment of the night, maybe 24 degrees f, lots of snow falling, superb icing conditions... big, fat 20-inch Pirelli's PZero Rosso tires, a super high-performance strictly-summer-only tire on all fours (kind of like wearing a bathing suit instead of hat and gloves).

Ice and snow in your driveway, brakes feel like they are not working (because that's how they feel on ice if you're wearing summer shoes)... you slide into the garage door...

Bamm!

Sorry it happened, but not really a big surprise. Of course, I'm glad you weren't hurt, and I feel badly that you've damaged your brand new Cayenne, but you really should not have been out to such a late showing at the cinema, on such an obviously dangerous evening, with such an ill-prepared vehicle. You were just looking for trouble, whether you realized it or not.

The issue with your steering failure is another story. Simply, if you are not happy with the vehicle, drop it off (or have it towed) to your dealer, tell him you want it replaced. If your steering is failing intermittently, it is far too dangerous to drive, and there is nothing more to the story.

Sincere best wishes and good luck!
Old 12-07-2003, 07:14 PM
Cay
Instructor

Jeff

ok zeros on snow are not the things you should do and are one thing - the complexity from cars today and when they get mad another.

In my case yesterday I had snow tires, dry weather and asphalt and
driven slowly out of the garage and stepped in nothing on the brake pedal
and believe me that this is different to have no brakes or wrong tires in winter road conditions. You **** in your pants and are totally helpless and car is moving, moving and you are a passenger and not the driver. If the hydraulic compressor switches off due an error you have no chance. And so
it could happen in the Cayenne too.

My Benz is young and been around 7, 8 times in service cuz electronics gets
mad on the car - until now mostly small things like seat memory etc... last time the airbags switched off and now I loose the brake temporarly - my trust is gone and I feel not safe anymore in it - even if the Benz dudes find
the error next week. I will get rid of him. No trust - no fun and I don`t like ghost cars.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:48 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cay,

I'm with you - I don't like ghosts in cars, either! I like my cars to do whatever I tell them.

But if I came to you and complained that I couldn't get my car to stop in the ice and snow in the wee hours of the morning when it was 24 degrees outside and that I was wearing 20-inch summer tires at the time, would you suspect a problem with the brakes?

I'm not saying it couldn't happen; I was just reacting to the story.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:19 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

When I slammed on the brakes.... the car did not slide into the garage door bec of the snowy conditions and ice and the reason for that is because i didnt feel it sliding at all, it was like i was not even pressing on the brakes.... so i think the brakes were not working because when i took my car for a check up for the steering wheel i complained to my dealer that my brakes are squeeking too and that was this past friday and he told me im too busy to install the brake pads for you however ill just check the steering wheel.. so he advised to come later on.. and BAAM a day later the brakes did not work properly
Old 12-07-2003, 09:41 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

OK before you get to excited.

1 - Squeaky brakes are totally unrelated to brake performance most have had this problem to a greater or lesser degree.

2 - You would not know if your brakes were working or not if you slid on ice.

Your forward motion was to high and you slid in, its bad luck thats all.

Brakes would not have helped, check the tracks on the pictures. ( I have more than I posted)
Old 12-09-2003, 06:42 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

There's a big difference between "loosing the brakes completely" and loosing power assist... Similarly there's a difference between "locked steering"(!!!), and loosing power assist. What's going on here? A stalled car should never cause a locked wheel. Perhaps you're finding the effort of turning such wide tires on a heavy vehicle very hard without power assist, but that's far from a locked wheel. Same for the brakes, the pedal may get a lot harder but thanks to the US government I have to put up with lots of brake dust on any new car since softer componds are necessary to comply w/the US laws that require (what was it 60lbs) a relatively small amount of force applied to the brake pedal to be enough to safely stop a vehicle.

Anyway, please clarify this inoperational brakes/locked up wheel thing here, anyone.
Thanks
Ahmet

Quick Reply: Brake Failing and STEERING WHEEL LOCKED AGAIN