Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Dilemma - What price quality?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 12:35 PM
camcayenne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealers attitude... sucks.. I would be slightly suspicious of any dealer who treats you as though you owe them something. Is he trying to say that if you are not a regular customer then you get a worse service?? if so walk and asve $5000 with the other dealer. The dealer should treat every customer with equally high levels of service prioritising results in customers walking.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:46 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dealers are being very slow to adapt to the new customer base. What they could get away with before is clearly no longer acceptable.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:48 PM
SorTurbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Definately go for the discount. I think a 5k deal on an S may not be that big of a deal but on a TT it is great...
Old 12-03-2003, 06:04 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Dealers, stealers for a better description, I can't believe that he said these things to you!!! "Regular" customer and BS as such... IMO you are dealing with a NEW car , under full warranty so whatever stealer you take it in they are going to deal with any problems you might encounter probably with mama Porsche if they have a seirous one. Think of what kind of maintenance you have to do till the warranty expires? What oil changes, fluid changes etc? These are no brainers and any backyard mechanic can be competent to perform them. If you were talking about a TT out of warranty then I would agree that the service department would be pretty important to your wallet, but then again I would look at a proven competent independant with lower rates to save my wallet from extreme draining.In your case you have nothing to fear with the other dealer. Leave the $$$ in your pocket and service the car to the dealer that gave you a break in the first place not the stealer who obviously view you as moving $$$ and has complete disregard for YOU.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:51 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is truly incredible how many folks will respond to a given thread, and then generously offer advice and intelligence. Thanks for all your thoughts, they help create perspective.

Just to clarify a bit, dealer A has NOT specifically said he would deny service. He only said that others (folks who had bought from him) would be given preference - with time slots, loaner vehicles, and the like. This was annoying, since the GM surely does not answer the phone for service, nor does he have a policy of NOT booking service requests - from anyone!

While I agree with everyone (and everyone seems to be in agreement as to what I should do), after further reflection I feel there exists an intangible that has to do with any after-the-sale problems that might show up. And from what I have read, the Cayenne has more than its share of glitches.

Agreed that I can get service from ANY dealer, regardless of where I purchase the vehicle. But, how hard will a dealer fight for me when if I receive a car with real issues? And, he is closer to me than dealer B.

So, with that in mind, I went back to dealer A, face-to-face, and we talked about reality, invoices, and profit. We were both very friendly. I explained that it was HE who walked away from the deal, not me. After a bit of discussion, he agreed to come within $1k of dealer B's substantial discount (which is what I had originally asked for), and so I have now agreed to let him have my order.

It is not in hand yet, but should be some time tomorrow.

Thanks again!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:09 AM
OVRSTR
Instructor

Jeff, I replied to your post the other day as I live on Long Island also. I tried to inquire about the two dealerships you were dealing with but I did not see a response from you. I realize it's a personal issue, but I was so happy with my experience that I'm going to give you my two cents. I ended up going to Huntington for mine and they were fantastic and really worked with me to ensure my satisfaction. My salesman was Jason. He and Ephraim, the GM, really knocked themselves out. If this was the dealership you were dealing with, I'd be shocked if Ephraim let the deal die. As unusual as this is to say, they really seem to be a stand up facility and their service bay looks like a hospital operating room...it's immaculate. Aside from my Cayenne, which has not needed any service yet after 5k miles, they also service my 930 and I've been very peased with their mechanics and Bill Dickhut, the service manager. If you live close to their location, that's just another bonus. If you haven's noticed already, I highly recommend them as a got a serious jerking around from another local dealer. Let me know how you make out and maybe I'll see you on the road...I live in the Dix Hills area. Good luck!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:34 AM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Michael,

I would rather not mention dealer names in this forum, so I will respond to you privately.

Thanks...
Old 12-04-2003, 10:03 AM
OVRSTR
Instructor

Jeff, this is a stupid question but how do you receive a private message, I've never done that before?
Old 12-04-2003, 10:06 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going through the same thing...

I've been working with my local Porsche dealer and really trying to buy a car from them but the discount they will offer me on an S is minimal. I have someone who wants to buy my 2003 4Runner and when I asked them if they'd run it through their paper (so that I can save on sales tax...it's completely legeal by the way) they said no way unless there was at least $1000 in it for them.

I called a dealer who is about 2 hours away...their price on the S is $4500 less and they'll run my 4Runner through for no cost. Re: price, it's a no brainer.

As for service, I talked to their Porsche service manager on my way out...he told me directly that he doesn't care where I bought my car - he wants my service business. I occasionally have my 993 and 944 Turbo in for service (neither of which I bought there) and I'm treated very well.

I'm going the route of saving money.

BTW - I'll be a legitimate poster to this forum in about 6 days; my Basalt Black/Black Cayenne S will be here early next week.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:11 AM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

OVRSTR -

Just go to the top of this page and click on "My Profile." That will take you to a page where your private messages will be listed.

I've sent you two.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:16 AM
OVRSTR
Instructor

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:46 AM
OVRSTR
Instructor

Jeff, you have a PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:12 AM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

OVRSTR, you can get email notification of PMs by going to "Edit Options" from your profile page.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:14 PM
bbturbodad
Intermediate

I bought both my Cayenne and an Audi from dealers other than my local dealer. My local dealer treats me just fine when I need service. They make good money on repairs. The salesperson may not be your best friend but he doesn't work on your car. I'd do what I did and everybody else is suggesting and take the discount.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:05 PM
rocketman
AutoX

I have read that most dealers (don't know if it applies to Porsche) make their money off of repair and warranty work.

In any event, I would be very surprised if whatever service dept you take it to isn't happy to have your business.

Quick Reply: Dealer Dilemma - What price quality?