Sponsored by:

ABS & PSM Fault

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 06:00 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts
Default ABS & PSM Fault

Thinking it might be a sensor that is bad...

Got a PSM fault warning and an ABS warning. Seems intermittent.

Also, the cruise control would not engage.

Restarted the car and t faulted again, so I went to Autozone, but they could not find a fault code.

Drove home and everything was working.

I am guessing that PSM, ABS and cruise must share something in common.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:32 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Thinking it might be a sensor that is bad...

Got a PSM fault warning and an ABS warning. Seems intermittent.

Also, the cruise control would not engage.

Restarted the car and t faulted again, so I went to Autozone, but they could not find a fault code.

Drove home and everything was working.

I am guessing that PSM, ABS and cruise must share something in common.
They all share wheel speed signals from the 4 wheels. A standard OBD-II reader isn't going to do any good - it only reads emissions related stuff.

You need a diagnostic tool that is capable of reading Porsche specific modules. Durametric, iCarScan and apparently one made for VW if you are good with a soldering iron.

Or you can just start randomly replacing parts based on intuition and internet guesses. The last part you replace will be the bad one - but it can be quite expensive getting to that last part.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:49 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
They all share wheel speed signals from the 4 wheels. A standard OBD-II reader isn't going to do any good - it only reads emissions related stuff.

You need a diagnostic tool that is capable of reading Porsche specific modules. Durametric, iCarScan and apparently one made for VW if you are good with a soldering iron.

Or you can just start randomly replacing parts based on intuition and internet guesses. The last part you replace will be the bad one - but it can be quite expensive getting to that last part.
Just ordered the iCarScan tool.

It appears to be intermittent as it is not rearing its ugly head at the moment.

We will see how it goes. We have a long trip up the coast tomorrow (about 800 miles).
Old 08-12-2017, 11:29 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Just ordered the iCarScan tool.

It appears to be intermittent as it is not rearing its ugly head at the moment.

We will see how it goes. We have a long trip up the coast tomorrow (about 800 miles).
Even if it's intermittent chances are the ABS module has stored info that will help determine where the flaw is.

Could just be a bad ABS (wheel speed actually) sensor. Have you ever had the passengers side footwell flood? Wiring going bad due to that has been known to let all sorts of gremlins loose.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:00 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Even if it's intermittent chances are the ABS module has stored info that will help determine where the flaw is.

Could just be a bad ABS (wheel speed actually) sensor. Have you ever had the passengers side footwell flood? Wiring going bad due to that has been known to let all sorts of gremlins loose.
Yes, Autozone said it was a sensor (but not which one) and I just see my new iCarScan tool has arrived at home, but I'm out of state all week with my fauly car!

I can live without ABS and PSM, but no cruise control on a 11-hour drive really sucks!!!

Local dealer wanted $140 just to read the fault codes. No way!

Yes, I did have a clogged passenger sunroof drain tube that spilled water into the floor mats.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:20 PM
Jls1672
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porshe cayenne abs psm fault

Hi ive had the same problem and have replaced the abs sensor and abs pump but when I looked under the carpet like everyone says it was soaking wet so I rejoined the brown wire/red wire hoping to solve the issue but had no luck but then I saw a connector that I've now checked is the brown wire does anyone know where this is meant to connect to ie the fuse board or somewhere else please help as I'm going mad

Quick Reply: ABS & PSM Fault