Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:10 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
2005 V6 vibrates when pushing the RPMs higher. Does it in neutral as well but much moreso while driving. I'm going to change coils and plugs as well.

That says it's for a V8, mine's a V6, plus that one's $700 and the OEM aftermarket ones are going for <=$500
Valid. As far as OEM vs aftermarket, there is a price difference but never having to worry about it again is worth that difference to me.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:41 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Avec
Doesnt sound like a drive shaft at all. Are the vibrations RPM dependent while stationary? Are there any codes?
Originally Posted by aftCG
That dealership is either incompetent or a crook. The RPM of the shaft is only related to vehicle speed, not engine RPM. At rest in neutral the shaft is not spinning, so there is zero likelihood of it being that.
^This. Unevenness at higher RPMs could be coil packs, which are a cheap and easy fix on the V6. You can do it in your driveway in 30 minutes, if you stop to sip a beer between coils.

Could also be a fuel pressure problem. The fuel pumps will go eventually. I did mine at something like 110k. That should cause a misfire, though.

Did you say you have no codes?

Originally Posted by mtnrat
And, yes, for the love of Mike, if your shaft goes, do the Jimi fix. You don't need a carbon fiber and unicorn hair shaft, or even a rebuilt shaft (a very reasonable $400, a pleasant hour under your truck with a couple of wrenches), just some hose and zip ties and you're done. I think the latest report is a Jimi fix lasting tens of thousands of miles.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:43 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Standing still and in Park or in Neutral?
Standing still in Park

That looks great. Problem is (assuming the dealer's right) the bearing is broken/breaking so it's a bearing replacement issue, not a centering issue.

Originally Posted by v10rick
Vertex assured me that no special tools were required. They guaranteed their assembly without it.

https://www.vertexauto.com/porsche-c...t-p-10389.aspx
I didn't see a guarantee on the webpage but I'll call to confirm.

Originally Posted by aftCG
That shaft bearing will cause a thumping sound right under your elbow if your arm is resting on the center console, and at first it will only do it when you're hard on the throttle.

Even if your vehicle did have a bad shaft bearing, the dealership will not suggest or install an aftermarket product without a blessing from the fatherland.
I'll try driving it and seeing if I hear a thumping sound under my elbow resting on the center console.
The stealership didn't suggest aftermarket, they wanted to sell me theirs.

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
^This. Unevenness at higher RPMs could be coil packs

Did you say you have no codes?

And, yes, for the love of Mike, if your shaft goes, do the Jimi fix.
I'll replace the coilpacks and plugs this weekend and do the Jimi fix just in case the bearing's still good and it's the rubber bearing support that's bad.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:24 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Standing still in Park

I'll replace the coilpacks and plugs this weekend and do the Jimi fix just in case the bearing's still good and it's the rubber bearing support that's bad.
Good call. The stealer is probably wrong if you are experiencing the vibration in park. This most likely has nothing to do with your cardan shaft bearing.

When you do the Jimi fix you will see for yourself how the bearing looks/feels. It is probably fine.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:01 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

What am I looking for as far as damage to the actual bearing - I realize I'll have to scrape off the old rubber per the Jimi instructions but my main concern is whether the bearing itself is damaged?
Old 08-04-2017, 09:35 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

The bearing should spin freely, smoothly and quietly.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 474 Posts

Has anyone ever had the bearing go bad? As far as I can recall, it's always been the bearing support.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:33 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

The bearing should spin freely, smoothly and quietly.
Awesome, thanks
Old 08-04-2017, 12:03 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Has anyone ever had the bearing go bad? As far as I can recall, it's always been the bearing support.
Yes. There have been a few. It is sealed pretty well and rather stout, but I imagine there are three cases that might contribute:

1. bad luck
2. fording deep water and giving it the ol' dunkaroo
3. driving your car too long when the bushing tears and banging it around inside the support bracket
Old 08-05-2017, 11:49 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Help - the Jimi fix can barely slide down the shaft - no way it's fitting over the bearing ... any form of grease I can use that won't compromise the rubber?

I don't want start putting stuff on there since I don't know what would compromise and what wouldn't. I could use white lithium, K-Y, motor oil ... what's best for this?
Old 08-06-2017, 12:24 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

Might try some antifreeze. It is what the hose is made for. However don't cinch up the zip ties till everything is in place. If your zip ties are tight it will be really hard to get in place. I haven't done the fix myself so others may give better advice.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:51 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Might try some antifreeze. It is what the hose is made for. However don't cinch up the zip ties till everything is in place. If your zip ties are tight it will be really hard to get in place. I haven't done the fix myself so others may give better advice.
i've been reading to use a silicon-based grease, it it doesn't say on the label if it's silicon-based. but
i have some of this handy, would it work:
https://www.permatex.com/products/lubricants/specialty-lubricants-brakes/permatex-ultra-disc-brake-caliper-lube-4/
Old 08-06-2017, 01:07 PM
Mark7000
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Help - the Jimi fix can barely slide down the shaft - no way it's fitting over the bearing ... any form of grease I can use that won't compromise the rubber?

I don't want start putting stuff on there since I don't know what would compromise and what wouldn't. I could use white lithium, K-Y, motor oil ... what's best for this?
I had a similar issue getting it to slide over the bearing. What I did was get it as close as I could, loosely bolt the retaining bracket back on, sprayed some silicon type lube on the hose pieces and slowly drove around the block. It heated the rubber hose pieces up making them more pliable. It then slid right into place. I then aligned the bracket and tightened it up.

I wouldn't worry about the type of lube you use. They are simply heater hose which normally lasts 100k miles under the hood in the heat and oil and grime of an engine bay.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Mark7000
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Out of curiosity, was your rubber bearing support damaged? Torn? Did the driveshaft easily move around if you grabbed it and tried to shake it?
Old 08-06-2017, 08:07 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

I did the Jimi fix and it works but see my recommendation that I posted on the Jimi fix thread

Quick Reply: Replace entire center drive shaft, not just bearing on an '06 base