Sponsored by:

Replace entire center drive shaft, not just bearing on an '06 base

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 11:04 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replace entire center drive shaft, not just bearing on an '06 base

The dealer said the center drive shaft (Part 95542102015) should be replaced in its' entirety since attempts to replace only the bearing tend to fail.
Also while at it, the (2) exhaust brackets (95511122012) should be replaced as well.
The instructional videos online either only show the bearing area of the center drive shaft but not the removal/replacement of the drive shaft itself.
I can usually follow the Pelican photo tutorials well but didn't see one on this.
Is this an intuitive/easy job or does this require a tutorial?
Old 08-02-2017, 11:42 AM
PartsGuyGT
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
The dealer said the center drive shaft (Part 95542102015) should be replaced in its' entirety since attempts to replace only the bearing tend to fail.
Also while at it, the (2) exhaust brackets (95511122012) should be replaced as well.
The instructional videos online either only show the bearing area of the center drive shaft but not the removal/replacement of the drive shaft itself.
I can usually follow the Pelican photo tutorials well but didn't see one on this.
It is pretty straight forward to change. Just have a safe way to lift the truck up. Once you're under there you'll realize its only a few bolts.

Best

Julian
Old 08-02-2017, 01:36 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Save yourself big $$ and avoid the dealer.

I purchased a rebuilt drive shaft and bearing, which the local Goodyear shop replaced.(2 hr. labor charge)

There was a core charge but excluding that the total cost was approx. $700 installed.

It worked perfectly for about 40K mi., until sold.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:54 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What were the apparent symptoms that the car was exhibiting, thus prompting you to bring the car in for service?
Old 08-02-2017, 01:56 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

If/when I have to do this job, I plan on going the Lindsey Racing/Driftshaft Shop route. Looks to be bullet proof, and the price is right if you install yourself.

https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Porsche/955-0308-DS-AL.html
Old 08-02-2017, 02:13 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Andy E.
What were the apparent symptoms that the car was exhibiting, thus prompting you to bring the car in for service?
2005 V6 vibrates when pushing the RPMs higher. Does it in neutral as well but much moreso while driving. I'm going to change coils and plugs as well.

Originally Posted by Matt O.
If/when I have to do this job, I plan on going the Lindsey Racing/Driftshaft Shop route. Looks to be bullet proof, and the price is right if you install yourself.

https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Por...308-DS-AL.html
That says it's for a V8, mine's a V6, plus that one's $700 and the OEM aftermarket ones are going for <=$500
Old 08-02-2017, 02:20 PM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

2005 V6 vibrates when pushing the RPMs higher. Does it in neutral as well but much moreso while driving. I'm going to change coils and plugs as well.
Doesnt sound like a drive shaft at all. Are the vibrations RPM dependent while stationary? Are there any codes?
Old 08-02-2017, 02:35 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

When you are in neutral and hear the sound is the car moving ?

If the car is stopped when in neutral it might be the coils & plugs as others have said and not the drive shaft. Do the replacement of the plugs and coils first too see.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Avec
Doesnt sound like a drive shaft at all. Are the vibrations RPM dependent while stationary? Are there any codes?
No codes. The more gas/higher the RPMS, the greater the vibration.
However there is even greater vibration while driving and the dealer said the bearing is worn.

Originally Posted by r553
When you are in neutral and hear the sound is the car moving ?

If the car is stopped when in neutral it might be the coils & plugs as others have said and not the drive shaft. Do the replacement of the plugs and coils first too see.
I'll do the coils and plugs first but I figured since the dealer said the drive shaft bearing is bad and needs to be replaced I might as well do that too.

Problem is I just learned you need this tool to do it *right*:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...l/00072196800/
Apparently an experienced mechanic can finesse it without the tool but that's not me and at $276 for a tool ... ouch!
Old 08-02-2017, 03:30 PM
PartsGuyGT
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by v10rick
Save yourself big $$ and avoid the dealer.

I purchased a rebuilt drive shaft and bearing, which the local Goodyear shop replaced.(2 hr. labor charge)

There was a core charge but excluding that the total cost was approx. $700 installed.

It worked perfectly for about 40K mi., until sold.
Agreed. Skip the dealer. You can buy brand new GKN OEM ones for about $400. At my work we sell them to shops for about that much. (Not trying to advertise. I run a European parts store in CT).

Best

Julian
Old 08-02-2017, 03:57 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

ECS wants $537 for GKN but that includes the remounting bolts which are invaluable since they tend to rust/break so it's nice to replace those.
The $276 for the tool.
They do have free shipping though.
Do you sell a package of the shaft, bolts, and tool and if so how much?
Old 08-02-2017, 04:06 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No codes. The more gas/higher the RPMS, the greater the vibration.
However there is even greater vibration while driving and the dealer said the bearing is worn.
Standing still and in Park or in Neutral? If so, the dealer is not God and either may be wrong (won't be the first time) or may be very slow at this time of year and needs the work. Have you tried bringing your Cayenne to an independent mechanic for a second opinion? I would also advise against telling the Indy what the dealer said and have him figure it out for himself...

I'll do the coils and plugs first but I figured since the dealer said the drive shaft bearing is bad and needs to be replaced I might as well do that too.
See above as far as "what the dealer said..."
Old 08-02-2017, 07:01 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

Try the "jimi fix" first.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...with-pics.html
Old 08-02-2017, 07:30 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

ECS wants $537 for GKN but that includes the remounting bolts which are invaluable since they tend to rust/break so it's nice to replace those.
The $276 for the tool.
They do have free shipping though.
Do you sell a package of the shaft, bolts, and tool and if so how much?
Vertex assured me that no special tools were required. They guaranteed their assembly without it.

https://www.vertexauto.com/porsche-c...t-p-10389.aspx

It was not used for my repair.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:58 PM
aftCG
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2005 V6 vibrates when pushing the RPMs higher. Does it in neutral as well but much moreso while driving.
That dealership is either incompetent or a crook.

That shaft bearing will cause a thumping sound right under your elbow if your arm is resting on the center console, and at first it will only do it when you're hard on the throttle.

The RPM of the shaft is only related to vehicle speed, not engine RPM. At rest in neutral the shaft is not spinning, so there is zero likelihood of it being that.

Even if your vehicle did have a bad shaft bearing, the dealership will not suggest or install an aftermarket product without a blessing from the fatherland.

Quick Reply: Replace entire center drive shaft, not just bearing on an '06 base