Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$20k to spend - '97 Boxster or C5 Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 01:11 AM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I picked up a 97 Boxster last week for under $5K. It's a little rough around the edges and the paint is sunbaked, but I have to tell you that it drives great. It really feels quite similar to my 997, give or take 150 hp. Every time I drive it, I think what a great little car it is. Pretty good for a car that's about 17 years old.

I wonder if the original question were asked again today if the decision would be more obvious? I think the boxster has held up quite well. Unsure of the Vette. Might be a great car to pick up as well?
Old 10-08-2020, 03:18 PM
scootr
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 122 Posts

I have a 2017 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT and a Boxster 987.2 S
Comparing Detroit Muscle to German Sport is unfair. They are in different classes.
If you want in your face sound and splash go for the Muscle car. Your friends will envy you.
If you want a brilliant driving machine go for the Porsche. Your friends will question you.
As good as the new Mustangs are, I'll probably end up selling it and keep the P car.
The Mustang is better for car shows and the Boxster is better at tearing up the twisties.
Sure the Mustang makes you thin you are tearing up the twisties with it's IRS and LSD but my 987 has all of that and so much more.

Last edited by scootr; 10-08-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:21 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

There is a really simple answer. Drive both. Your gut will tell you. No reason you should make the same choice I did.

There are cars I wouldn't want if you gave them to me. Life is too short. Driving them, I knew within a block and would amaze the sales guy when I came back so soon. Choosing my first Boxster I went on test drives or sit in thems with at least 6 competing cars. Some fit me. some didn't. Some were powerful but ponderous. I knew within a mile.

Your gut should tell you.

Quick Reply: $20k to spend - '97 Boxster or C5 Vette?