Sponsored by:

03 Boxster Glass Rear Window Separation

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Geogorman
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Boxster Glass Rear Window Separation

Hello, I just had a question whether anyone else had any experience with the glass rear window separating from heat. I searched the forum and it seems like all the threads pertaining to the rear window are mostly about it being changed to glass from the older plastic version. This makes me feel like it would be a pretty uncommon occurrence. If so, I was wondering what the options for a fix might be, as the top itself is in good shape.

Further complicating things is that this happened while the car was being repaired at the body shop and was out of our possession. Of course they're claiming it wasn't their fault and want $1600 to repair and replace it.

Thanks,
George

​​​​​​
Old 07-03-2017, 03:50 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I've been reading several Boxster forums daily for probably 7 years and this is the first I can recall seeing this. Did they paint and cure the paint with heat?
Old 07-03-2017, 04:06 PM
Geogorman
4th Gear

Yes, they repainted and I'm sure they cured with heat even though temps in AR are in the 90s these days. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but I just found it very odd to not find a single instance of this happening online elsewhere. The local indie shop said all the problems he dealt with were from plastic windows and that he wasn't familiar with that problem from the glass ones. Thanks for helping confirm I'm not off the mark with my questions. We're having our insurance company look into it further.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm with Mike. Yours is the first post I can recall on this and I would have recalled one if I encountered one on the glass window separating before. Actually I can't think of reading of any issues regarding the "new" top (the one with the glass window).
Old 07-06-2017, 06:41 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Geogorman
Hello, I just had a question whether anyone else had any experience with the glass rear window separating from heat. I searched the forum and it seems like all the threads pertaining to the rear window are mostly about it being changed to glass from the older plastic version. This makes me feel like it would be a pretty uncommon occurrence. If so, I was wondering what the options for a fix might be, as the top itself is in good shape.

Further complicating things is that this happened while the car was being repaired at the body shop and was out of our possession. Of course they're claiming it wasn't their fault and want $1600 to repair and replace it.

Thanks,
George

​​​​​​
what do you mean by separation. Exactly where is the glass window separating from. Is it separating from the canvas or is the canvas separating from the frame.?
Old 07-07-2017, 04:41 PM
Geogorman
4th Gear

I really couldn't say for certain as it was still in the repair shop and I haven't seen it, but it sounded to me like the window itself had separated from the canvas. I'd assume if the canvas was separating from the frame it would be an easier repair. I'd think the glass separating from the canvas would be irreparable.

The good news is that our insurance seems to have worked something out with the body shop though, and from the body shop's willingness to deal with them and the fact that they paid a much lower rate for the top repair than we were quoted, I'd assume USAA applied a little leverage to the situation. I guess all's well that ends well, but I still really question the whole scenario. I really do appreciate everyone's response.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:16 AM
10/10ths
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FWIW...

...I just drove my glass window 2004 all over the four corners in 110 degree weather with zero problems.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:23 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 10/10ths
...I just drove my glass window 2004 all over the four corners in 110 degree weather with zero problems.
The OP mentioned his car was in for some body/paint work and there is the possibilty the shop subjected the painted panels and the top to high (well, higher than 110F) heat.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:13 PM
Grandwazoo
6th Gear

Default Yup!, mine did that while sitting in the sun here iin Texas.

I tried all fashion of glue/adhesives, took it to my guy that does tops and he said it would not stay glued from his experience, nothing worked. So I bought a sheet of Lexan, neatly drilled holes through the flat metal frame that is wrapped in the top where the window was glued in, matched up the glass and cut a new lexan window then with the help of a friend we held the new window up inside the top and drilled a couple of guide holes and bolted the new window in with some good black sealant. I finished drilling all the holes I figured I would need used nice black oval headed machine screws, finishing washers and nuts. No leaks, lighter than the glass and not 1600 bucks.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:30 PM
Geogorman
4th Gear

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip Grandwazoo! That's precisely what we ended up doing. We even found a shop that created a jig and cut the Lexan for us for $20. The shine is from the clear silicone we used to try to get a second seal to keep water out and will go away once I get around to painting it black. Not exactly a factory look, but since it looks like USAA isn't covering the top damage after all, it'll do till we decide to replace the top with a more permanent solution. Who drives with the top up in the summer anyway? I've also got to figure out what to do about the plastic headliner retaining clips that broke as well, so any tips anyone has there would be most welcome.

Finished window replacement.

Quick Reply: 03 Boxster Glass Rear Window Separation