Sponsored by:

need help with power seat-not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 11:39 AM
Jdl30
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help with power seat-not working

I have a 2000 S and had broken tabs on the drivers side power seat switch causing it to fall out. I replaced the switch and now that it's in, not all the switches and buttons work as they should. The seat moves down, not up; back rest reclines, doesn't incline, etc. Is there some sort of reset that needs to be performed to get all the switches working properly? Prior to the replacement the fuse kept blowing and continues to do it with the new switch. I can't get under the seat to check for any broken wires.

Any help would be greatly appreciate. I've spent many hours researching it with no luck.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:44 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdl30
I have a 2000 S and had broken tabs on the drivers side power seat switch causing it to fall out. I replaced the switch and now that it's in, not all the switches and buttons work as they should. The seat moves down, not up; back rest reclines, doesn't incline, etc. Is there some sort of reset that needs to be performed to get all the switches working properly? Prior to the replacement the fuse kept blowing and continues to do it with the new switch. I can't get under the seat to check for any broken wires.

Any help would be greatly appreciate. I've spent many hours researching it with no luck.
Normally I'd advise you perform a hard reset of the car's electrical system by disconnecting battery power. If you do this be sure you have the radio code if your car equipped with a radio that needs a security code enteried to operate.

But with the fuses blowing before and continuing to blow there is I strongly suspect an electrical problem. Some wires got mangled, pinched in the hardware, insulation cut, something.

To sort this out you'll need to remove the seat.

How to get the seat out with a power seat can be a real problem. My Boxster doesn't have power seats but my Turbo does and some time back I talked to a tech about removing a power seat that wasn't working and of course it ended up in a position so one couldn't get at the seat bolts. (The question was prompted by someone else who needed to remove the power seat.)

The tech said he would disconnect the power drive to the seat -- the electric motor was not operating in this case -- and then use a power wrench -- electric -- fitted with suitable socket that fits the end of the drive shaft (and probably some extension maybe with a universal joint) and turn the drive shaft to move the seat into a position so the bolts can be removed and the seat removed.
The following users liked this post:
surahman1 (08-14-2021)
Old 07-28-2017, 12:57 AM
Jdl30
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the tips. I do, luckily have the radio code so that's not an issue. I'll try disconnecting the battery to see if that helps. Will it affect anything else beyond the radio? I think not, but as this is my first Porsche I'm not sure. Better to ask them to mess some else up, right!

If I can get the seat to a position where I can remove it, I will. I'm sure there's something pinched or broken and I can't see it. It's good to know there's other ways to move the seat though if power isn't cooperating.
The following users liked this post:
surahman1 (08-14-2021)
Old 07-29-2017, 01:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdl30
Thank you for the tips. I do, luckily have the radio code so that's not an issue. I'll try disconnecting the battery to see if that helps. Will it affect anything else beyond the radio? I think not, but as this is my first Porsche I'm not sure. Better to ask them to mess some else up, right!

If I can get the seat to a position where I can remove it, I will. I'm sure there's something pinched or broken and I can't see it. It's good to know there's other ways to move the seat though if power isn't cooperating.
Be sure you follow the proper steps when disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. Consult the owners manual.

After you reconnect the battery not only will you have to enter the radio code but the E-Gas system should be (re) calibrated. From my memory: With the key off and your foot off the gas pedal turn the key to the on position. Leave on for at least 60 seconds. Turn off for at least 10 seconds. The next time the engine is started the calibration is complete.

The window limits will have to be set. With the window all the way up press and hold the lower button until the window is all the way down. Release and then press and hold the raise button until the window is all the way and continue to hold for another 5 seconds. Repeat with the other window.

The long term fuel trims will be lost along with some other learned data but the DME will relearn what it needs quickly enough. The readiness monitors will be set to incomplete and will need engine run time to be set to complete but unless you are going to have the car smog tested right away this is not an issue. Just normal usage will have these set to complete.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:18 PM
KevinH2000
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been attempting to repair a power seat that was taken out of a car that was being converted to a race car and was treated roughly in the process. I ran into a similar problem.

Here's a picture of the seat switches from an 8-way power seat with the cover removed. The three grouped together control the fore and aft movement as well as the front and rear tilt. The switch all by itself is for the backrest angle.

Each of the small white nipples need to fit correctly into the bottom of the external switches (the switches you move when you adjust the seat) in order for the seat controls to work correctly. It is possible that one or more of your external switches is misaligned and you may need to experiment in order to get it to work correctly.

If you manipulate the internal switches directly (with the cover off) you will get the idea.

Good luck.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: need help with power seat-not working